I need a Darne

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Alpo, May 27, 2012.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't know why. I've just been feeling the need for one for the last 20 or so years, and the need keeps getting stronger.

Anybody out there got a extra 16 gauge Darne lyin' around, that they ain't using, and so they wouldn't mind giving it to a Darneless guy in Florida?

I'll even pay shipping. :D

Heck, I'd even take a 12.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

71 people have looked and nobody's got an extra lyin' around? Man. :(
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Spose nobody wants to turn loose of one of their spares.

Besides, I thot you had at least 1 of everything? ;)
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That's why I need one so badly. There's this hole in my "Firearms of the World" collection. Besides, it's French. Everbody hates the French, so nobody would want a French gun.

I'm ready and willing to take it off someone's hands, before their friend and relatives find out they own a French gun.

Great love has no man than to help someone like that. I really think I need to be sainted for this offer.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree. if its as horrendous as the 'sho sho' or as ugly as the MAS, then you are indeed offering someone a great service. :D
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Out of all the Darne's I have I just don't think I could part with one,,,,,,NOT! I have never even held one and I wish I had one then I could send you pics of me holding it and smiling. I guess I need to find one.:)
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I first heard of one in, I believe, Soldier of Fortune. Guy was over in Viet Nam, and as he was leaving they took him to the "Pile O' Captured Guns" and told him to pick one out, as a souvenir. There was this Darne. Top of the line grade (whatever they called it), so it was, most likely, some French colonial's bird gun. Beautiful wood, nice engraving. It had been cut down to about 14 inches. Couldn't bring it back, of course. Too small to bring in. But there were several pictures in the article, and much gnashing of teeth by the writer.

15 years or so ago, I was attempting to buy one. SARCO had one on their website. I emailed for it and a Luger (this was when the first of the Russian Capture Guns showed up) and an I-frame 32. The Darne was either 12 or 22 hundred (it's been a while, and my mind ain't as sharp as it once was). 4 for the luger and 3 for the Smith, and accessories. Either a two or a three thousand dollar order. And I didn't hear nothin' and I didn't hear nothin' and I didn't hear nothin'. Finally called. Seems they only had one gal that did the emails, and she had been on vacation, and wasn't caught up on the backlog, yet. By the time they did get back to me, all three of the guns I wanted were gone.

Ah well, alas alack, such is life, c'est la vie, c'est le guerre, say dammitman.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

They are seriously ugly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  9. 76Highboy

That's putting it nicely. :mad:
  10. 76Highboy

Yep. I always thought long sleek lines and cherry wood were ugly too. ;)
  11. 76Highboy

I would have never been able to tell you anything about a Darne except a guy at work owns hundreds of guns and that is one he wants. He was talking about it and no one had even heard of one. I googled them and was like WOW!!! Beautiful. Since then I have wanted one. Even an ugly one.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I dont like the sliding breech action. I much prefer the normal break action.
  13. packetsplace

packetsplace Member

Darne it! I want one too. I been collecting doubles for 30 years now and have never come across one.