i need another opinion on this press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by socalfamous87, Dec 1, 2011.

1. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

$30 for a rcbs jr!!!!!!! what am i walking into? what do i need to be worried about? a guy said $30 and its mine and i figured i cant go wrong. any suggestions?

Attached Files:

• rcbs.jpg
      rcbs.jpg
      File size:
      130.1 KB
      Views:
  2. X Ring

X Ring Member

Check for excessive slop at the top of the stroke, and that the shaft moves up and down smoothly. If it checks OK buy it, disassemble, steel wool the metal parts and sand blast the painted parts, repaint and it is like new.
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, check for slop on the ram when it's at the top of it's stroke.

It's missing the spent primer catch tray but you can still get them (the ReloaderSpecial is the same size frame as the JR)
    Here's one Bing Shopping search. $15 from Gander Mountain.

With a new tray, you're looking at around $45-50 dollars for a used press. Maybe a little higher than I would pay considering the rust, but it is a good solid press that will do everything up to .30-06 length...once you get into the longer magnum cases it can be a little cramped.
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Like the others have said, if the ram doesn't show excessive play, some elbow grease and paint will make that a nice single stage starter press. I'd give the $30 for it.
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

$30 for that Heck yeah. If it were me it would already be mounted on my bench.

You can get a new ram for $20 to $40 from RCBS maybe less.
  6. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

and without it the primers would jusst drop on the floor?
  7. howlnmad

The floor and your bench. It is usable without the spent primer cup.
  8. Bindernut

Yeah, they drop out the slot in the bottom of the ram and scatter all over the floor.
    It is usable without the tray though too...or you could cobble one together out of a Cool-Whip or margarine tub (poor man's Tupperware :)). Don't ask me how I know that... :rolleyes:

That press in it's current form, the Reloader Special 5, is available for around $100 new.
    BUT...if the literature is correct, they're now made with an aluminum frame instead of cast iron. That's another good reason to go after that used press.
  9. Bindernut

With the Partner and JR/RS family of presses it's not so much the ram that you have to worry about getting sloppy. Usually the hole in the frame will wear before the ram does.
    But that said, I've only seen one JR/RS that was fiddled out...and I don't think it had ever seen an oil can when the guy was using it. It had darn near 1/16" of slop in the ram at the top of the stroke!
  10. RandyP

RandyP Member

A brand spankin' new Lee 50th Anniv breech lock single stage complete kit goes for $82 from Factory Sales.

If you are interested in the challenge of restoring a semi-antique press back into useful service? $30 sounds fine by me.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

12. howlnmad

You did see his other thread that turned into a bashing rainbow war, didn't you?
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  13. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

Lol!!!!!!
  14. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

15. howlnmad

Only if it goes on a red press that comes from Wisconsin. Bwah ha ha.