I need help identifying my SKS

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gilroy8386, Dec 11, 2010.

1. gilroy8386

gilroy8386 New Member

My father in-laws father just passed away and in the mix, he was given an SKS. He isn't a gun person at all so he gave it to me. I'm having a heck of a time trying to identify the model of the gun. Can anybody please tell me what kind of SKS this is and whether or not it's a garbage gun or worth anything. My wife and I are just curious. Thanks, Chris

Attached Files:

2. gilroy8386

gilroy8386 New Member

I FORGOT TO ADD....the barrel is 16 inches long. I'm not sure if it's important or not but I was reading some other stuff about them and some people mentioned the length of the barrel.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I can't tell you much, and maybe some folks can add info, but it is a Chinese copy of the Russian Samozaryadnya Karabin Simonova (Simonov Semiautomatic carbine) obrazets (model) 1945, commonly called the SKS. That one is the Chinese copy, which they called the [19]56 Type, and that is what it is marked. Caliber is 7.62x39, the Russian intermediate cartridge. The guns were widely imported for several years and sold for as little as $89. Even though they had been made for the Chinese Peoples Army, many of those imported were brand new and never issued, as appears to be the case with that one. Current value would be around $300+.

It is a semi-auto rifle with (as issued) a non-detachable magazine, so it was never considered an "assault rifle" under the now defunct federal law or most of the state laws.

Jim
  4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Some additional info:

It looks as though your carbine was made in factory 316 and was the 11,418th one maufactured in 1971.
  5. BobMcG

BTW: The scope mount... does it look like it could be a factory job with the stock and receiver being modified, drilled & tapped for it or is it just mounted to the cover? It's not real clear in the photo but looks to be aftermarket. Nice at any rate.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Fun rifle-keep it. Ammo is plentiful just get a few stripper clips to load it from the top. I bought my first one for $65.00 at a gun show 20+ years ago.
  7. jiys12

jiys12 New Member

hello friends
    can you tell me about SKS, help me
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

This rifle was manufactured by Norinco of China and is the Paratrooper model. These short barreled versions are less common, and bring more than the standard models, probably around $400 or so, especially with the scope.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i dont believe that is a paratrooper model. here's a pic of mine and it's full size. look at the length of barrel that extends past the gas block [​IMG]

also. your sks is definitely work keeping. even though it's chinese it's not a poorly made version. i looks as if yours is a milled version.
  10. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

You're right, since he said it has a 16 inch barrel I assumed it was a Paratrooper model. However, his photos do show it is a standard length barrel.
  11. BobMcG

That's what I see as well.