I need help...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by jim123, Mar 29, 2010.

1. jim123

jim123 New Member

Hey guys, I just started this chat room today. So if I do any bad typing or just out of line things please over look them.

I need help...

My Grandfather just pasted away three weeks ago. His brother was a police officer in our town for thirty years. When he pasted away he left his service pieces to my Grandpa. When he recently passed he left them to me. One is a S&W Highway Patrolman, very nice piece. And a Hawse imported "Western Derringer" made in Germany, 357 mag.

I have wanted to shoot these guns since I remember seeing them. So...here we go. I first pulled out the derringer with as much flair and gusto as anyone in my situation could muster. My chest puffed out as I loaded this piece of family history in front of the guys (you all know what I'm talking about) and I leveled up to my target. I pulled the trigger on this beast loaded not with .38...no, no I had to do it all the way with the real stuff. .

With a single pull of the trigger several emotions filled my heart of hearts. Pride being the first. Secondly fulfillment poured forth from my core. And finally pain. Now I'm no small fella six two and 360 pounds, but let me tell you...I felt that. I looked back at the guys who are loving every minute of it...so shot number two rolls out the the barrel...with the same affect.

Now I look down at this piece of thumb busting armory in my hand for a fourth emotion...horror. The recoil had broken the white plastic grips of the gun. At this point I'm about ready to cry, for if I would have known this would have happened I would have never even thought of shooting it.

I have looked into several places to find grips. The Hawes Derringers are not listed in the big "go to" book of gun parts (I know not the name of the company). Our local gun guru who's been in business for forty years can't help me.

Like is stated earlier...I need help. I do not get on here but once a week. I will be able to check this out a little later tonight. So if I don't respond promptly please don't think me rude.

Thanks beforehand for any and all information.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

You are a brave soul. First I would have had the gun checked out by a smith that knew something about them. Second .38 special would have been the hottest round I would have shot it in, even then waiting for some palm pain.
    Plastic pearl grips may be had at Numrich gun parts. gunpartscorp.com. You may have to call them, they don't list specifically for the derringer but they have misc. grips.
    otherwise the brass and aluminum replacments are at bob's.
    http://www.gun-parts.com/derringer/
  3. jim123

jim123 New Member

I did have it checked prior...but we could tell if the grips would blow out. If I can't find any, I'll just get some wood and start carving.

Thank you very much for your time.
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The Hawes are listed on the Bob's site with the above link but they are not cheap.
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    if all else fails you can make your own,it my take a little trial and error but it will also be something to be proud of old semperfi