The Firearms Forum banner

I need help!

4K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  coreyacp 
#1 ·
I have my whole life I have lived with my dad and we were in a nice area but one thing about california is one street is so nice and then you go one street over and it is terrible. I am serious the whole state is basically like that except for some of the really rich areas but anyway my dad was still prepared he had a sig p226 with these hallow points in it that when they hit the target they exploded into a ton of pieces so they didnt go threw walls. Idk what they were called? but anyway he had a plan. But when I got out of high school he moved to Vermont an my mom is in Oregon and i have a couple months till I go to basic and move up to Oregon so I stayed down here to be with my girlfreind an friends but I am staying with my friend sean at his apartment.
His apartment is in N palm springs gateway which is the worst area of palm springs.
Mexican gangs rule.
They will car jack you if you park in front or at a stop sign in front of there house. There was a shooting last night. I didnt know what I was getting into.
I Cant carry cause its california and I am only 18.
but I am considering it...
This older gentleman who is about to pass away gave me is goverment .45 two days ago with awesome grips with his rank and name and the army emblem on the side oh an his unit
anyway I can carry that in my truck and carry a glock 19 on me to that my bud sean wold let me borrow but I am so afraid of the law...
The police are worse out here sometimes then the thugs...
I carry right now a cheap smith an wesson extereme ops blade but its ALWAYS on me
but I am so scared and night :( I have my shotgun by the bed every night and i Sleep on the couch by the front door an the only window in the whole place
and every night at like 1130 when i get off of work i have to walk with my 4000 dollar macbook pro across the dark parkin lot past a constant gang party across the way and thugs I am freaking out I have no where else to go I just need to wait it out till october 4th when i ship out But I have had some close calls already HELP
I want all suggestions I do not care if they are politically correct.
This is a problem.
Let me know how to take care of it...

See less See more
#2 ·
Just for Information I shoot the 45 the best so far its simple an everything make sense for me I really like the safety system on it.
The glock I just cant shoot I have gone shooting every weekend at the range with sean for a couple months and my groups are non existent
The 45 ammo is expensive and harder to conceal and it has big target sights so it easily can get caught on things.
But I went to three pistol self defense class's here and one shotgun class
even though technically I am more familiar with the glock
I shoot the 45 better and will be more comfy with it it is great its just idk more expensive an bigger

#3 ·
If you get caught carrying illegally, you're the same as the gangs in the eyes of the law.

I learned not to fear, gun or no gun. In my case, I don't look like a victim when I don't fear.

#4 ·
If you get caught carrying illegally, you're the same as the gangs in the eyes of the law.

I learned not to fear, gun or no gun. In my case, I don't look like a victim when I don't fear.
I understand that.
And yeah that works I walk there like I belong.
but...
These guys see a little white kid that they do not know and they attack for money to survive its there life. And as much as I never want to break the law Which i do not, I have a knife right now but it would be good against one but I have been watching them trying to study there tactics watching the news and they attack in groups. When they take a car they take it from all directions sometimes with a vehicle that blocks your path. And they are everywhere I have only a couple of months but I am so scared

#5 ·
Corey,

If you're frightened to live there, leave. I know you'd be leaving friends, girlfriend, everything, but there has to come a point where staying isn't the wise choice.

If you're afraid all the time, the stress will begin to destroy you. Your sleep will suffer, your mind will suffer, and your health will suffer.

Some people may tell you that carrying a gun illegally is your only option. I would tell you that getting out of there is your best option. You've already said that you're leaving in two months; find some friends somewhere else and get yourself out of that area (or state).

I haven't been to California since I turned two years old, so I don't know if your fear is paranoia or legitimate, but I don't really think it matters. If it's scary to you, then to you it is legitimate.

If you're caught carrying the gun, you may not get to ship out. Don't risk your career plan to hang out with friends for a couple more months.

#6 ·
Corey,

If you're frightened to live there, leave. I know you'd be leaving friends, girlfriend, everything, but there has to come a point where staying isn't the wise choice.

If you're afraid all the time, the stress will begin to destroy you. Your sleep will suffer, your mind will suffer, and your health will suffer.

Some people may tell you that carrying a gun illegally is your only option. I would tell you that getting out of there is your best option. You've already said that you're leaving in two months; find some friends somewhere else and get yourself out of that area (or state).

I haven't been to California since I turned two years old, so I don't know if your fear is paranoia or legitimate, but I don't really think it matters. If it's scary to you, then to you it is legitimate.

If you're caught carrying the gun, you may not get to ship out. Don't risk your career plan to hang out with friends for a couple more months.
I would and thats why I have put in a request for a earlier ship date but I have no where else to go. I do not have the money or the connections out of this state yet :( I am stuck.

#7 · (Edited)
You know, Corey, you might go to the local police station, the one responsible for the area you live in and have to traverse to work and back, and ask them for advice. Try to find a cop that is reasonable and willing to talk to you. Tell him your delimma and that you are afraid. Don't mention you own guns and are thinking about illegal carry, of course, unless you tell him you own them for hunting and target shooting and they are proberly registered and legal. Describe the gangs and ask for advise from the cops on how to handle things and how to be safe. Ask if they can patrol the area at the times you come and go.

If you are respectful, you will likely get a helpful response. Take them a couple dozen donuts and coffee to make a good impression and to insure they remember you. Check to see if they have any classes you could attend on self defense or pressure points. Get a Kubaton (spelling?) for your key chain for pressure points. Think of your keys as a weapon.

If you don't get satisfaction from the patrolmen, ask to see if you can talk to someone higher up. After all, these guys are there to serve the public and to protect citizens. I know that a lot of the cops there are probably as bad as the bad guys, but you'd be surprised at how helpful they can be at times if you do things right. Let them know you are going into the service in a couple of months and you just need to make it till then. Ask them if there are legal weapons you can carry to defend yourself.

At the very least, I would take tactical pepper spray or a nonlethal stun gun with you if you can get it and it's legal. Even if it's not, it will carry less penalty if you are caught with it than a gun and won't harm innocent bystanders if you have to use it.

In addition, take a walking stick with you. A big heavy one you can use as a weapon and stick close to walls if you can, but watch alleys, doorways and corners.

Sorry you are in this position. If you notice there are people walking in the same direction and at the same time as you then approach them about walking together. There is some safety in numbers.

#8 ·
I agree with Diana. Discuss this with the police. I also agree with Piney. Don't act like a victim. Don't wear anything that the thugs might like to have. Carry you laptop in something to conceal the fact that you're carrying a laptop. If you friend is home when you come home, maybe you can arrange for him to come outside and keep an eye on you. You might also carry your cell phone in hand with "911" on speed dial.

I also agree with you not doing anything illegal. That could mess up your long term life plans. Good luck.

#9 ·
Corey you are getting some good advice. My two cents worth is STOP ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITY NOW. Way to much risk to the rest of your life. A felony arrest and or conviction will screw up your plans for rest of your life. Most things in life will be a compromise. I would seriously consider a move for the next two months. Just too much of your future at risk.

#11 ·
Forgot to mention watching what clothes you wear. Stick to neutral colors, or ask the cops what colors the local gangs fly so you can avoid wearing them. There have been a number of people killed for walking through gang territory and wearing the wrong colors. Black and white or khaki are likely to be safe.

The suggestions of Piney and Bubblehead about not walking like a victim and having 911 on your speed dial are both excellent suggestions, but don't count on fast response from the 911 call. Sometimes you even get a busy signal. Walk like you belong and are comfortable. Be watchful and alert for any trouble.

And I agree. Don't do anything illegal. Carrying a gun may get you shot or in trouble with the law. Not a good idea.

#13 · (Edited)
Straight up? Sell the 4000$ mac book pro and get the heck out! no excuses!

#15 ·
Splendid advice right there.

Your Mom and school are in Oregon. That should be a no brainer.
Heck, you'll even have enough left over to get anothe laptop that's not a Mac. No real loss there.

It's NOT worth risking your life for.:eek:
It would be a loss. I have spent forever building this computer its all I have thats a personal item for any human things such as entertainment and my connection to the outside world. And my mom are not talking. She lives in Southern oregon anyway and Portland is in the north. She wont let me stay with her if I join any form of goverment service that means even if I am in the coast guard. I am seriously stuck. I am taking the money from basic and the money I make from working here in the meantime to move up there and when my grandmere gets back from Franch she will help me but I will already be in Basic by then my oregon recruiter is going to let me stay at his place till basic but he is doing his own training right now so I can stay there for only about a week till I ship. See lol I am running out of options and all my rifles are registered and legal and I have the .45 in my storage unit all locked up.
So I am doing everything legal.
My problem with going to the police is that even though I have my problems with them they are understaffed the state has cut more of them they already patrol this area alot actually the most I just think they are outgunned so they patrol here an the rich areas but idk
These mormons were murdered across the street from my complex because they knocked on the door an such I stay at other friends as much as I can Injust feel like a mooch
It really sucks I wish someone would come through here and take them all out and just wipe it clean

#17 ·
Corey

you know my storey

living in a block of jihadi's who tried a few times to out number me because i was screwing up their drug business

i moved

i sold a lot and still selling stuff to cover the cost

and that was from GOVERNMENT HOUSING

i am entitled to government housing , but the government wont help against the jihadi's

cops advised me to move

so i did

i ate 1 meal a day for a few weeks

i sold stuff including my good PC and now i have a $100 p4

my little lappy that i used to take hunting and chat with you all from remote are's is sold
my spare parts and motorcycle tools are sold

but i'm free safe and getting payback ( cause i can as i aint there)

do simialar

be safe
be sane

cost wise?

dont worry eh,

how old are you ?

3 months and it'll be a blip in history

6 months and just a memory and everyone else will have forgotten it too

thats the time for paybacks too ;)

get your backside safe , get your work sorted , always save some in case, and life will be good again...

good luck eh

( PM sent)

#20 ·
Corey, how is your relationship with your father? Perhaps you could spend two months with him in Vermont?

If money is an issue, you could offer to pay back anything he loans you.... you could even offer to pay him for two months' rent when your paychecks start coming in.

#21 ·
That is more realistic but he just moved an just had twins and I hav talked to him about it an its the most realistic but I am stuck doing my rsp which is pre training before basic for the national guard which is mandatory an i had to pull so many strings to get it to be able to be done in socal that sgt taylor my recruiter cant get it changed again :(

#23 · (Edited)
What are you going to do with your two guns and computer while you are in boot camp?

Another thing, forget the bear spray, or pepper spray. Get a can of wasp spray. It shoots further, has a larger stream, and you can carry it without any problems. Some places require training and a signoff before you can carry pepper spray, not sure about CA.

#25 ·
I've been reading about the RSP program - it sounds like you are expected for drill each weekend until you ship out to Basic? If that's the case, then you really are stuck in California.

What you want is a safer neighborhood for the next two months..... I imagine you could find a place.... you might even discuss the matter with the RSP trainers. But it's going to cost money, maybe a couple thousand. Again, your father might be willing to give you a loan.

#26 ·
Not that much he already has he is giving me a huge loan when i get to oregon and yeah its a great program but im stuck But again I try to stay with friends its so expensive here Im trying . There was a really bad fire in Santa ana so I might be shipped there to help clean there and stuff idk though thats the rumor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.