The Firearms Forum banner

i need honest opinions on this press!!!

3K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  zant 
#1 ·
how can i go wrong with this press? im looking for something small to start off with. the dillon rl550b would be my dream press but im gonna have to work my way up to it. i was looking to buy a used rcbs but i cant even touch one for less then $90 but at that point i might as well buy a brand new one for $129 at turners. this lee set up includes a ton of stuff for only 89.99whats your oponion on lee? i would like to reload mainly .223 for my ar. 38 special. 9mm and 7.62x39......thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
start up kit. im new to reloading just read my first couple books. been saving brass. now looking to begin reloading. looking for the best bang for my book. but also best bang for my time if that makes sense. my time is somewhat kind of limited. ill be doing things in chapters.

#6 ·
Everyone is different but my opinion:

If your time is limited I just am giving you the heads up - save up and buy a progressive.
Don't bother with a single stage your just going to want to replace it within a few months of using it anyhow. Just take the plunge and count your pennies. You will be happier in the long run.

BTW - I load on my dillon550 and can crank out 200-300 rounds an hour and that's with taking my time to check and double check.

#7 ·
imo, you should learn on a single stage...

if you load pistol, you will want a progressive eventually, and when you do take a look at the Hornady LnL AP which you can't beat on a $ for $ value basis, and quality as well...

i would save up another $150 and get an RCBS kit ($250), it gives you all the equipment you need to get started and it will all last...

#8 ·
i have a 1 year old daughter that i watch all day so this is my game plan. for my .223.

phase 1) throw all my brass in the tumbler (while shes awake)
phase 2) size and deprime and trim case (while shes sleeping) ill have about 2 hours
phase 3) hand prime the brass (while shes awake)
phase 4) powder and bullets (after i get home from work while everyones sleeping and i have a couple hours of quite time to complete everything)

#9 ·
LEE will work just fine for your particular needs at reasonable startup. Also dies and accessories are very reasonable as well. My rifle loads on the LEE Challenger are near perfect. I use the LEE Loadmaster for handgun, however, you will hear LEE is total crap from some members. That being said, many of us use LEE products and have great success, and based on what you stated about starting out, the LEE package deals will be perfect. Then at a later date if you feel you can do better with another maker or need a progressive for handgun you can better familarize yourself with all available options, which will cost substantially more than the LEE start up kits!

#10 · (Edited)
Factory Sales sells the very fine Anniv single stage kit for $82. IMHO also look at Kempf's for their kit featuring the excellent Lee Classic auto-advancing 4-hole turret. For about $200 you can be making 150-175 rounds per hour at a leisurely pace.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

To the Kempf's kit I would add an inexpensive digital caliper, inexpensive $30 or less digital scale and upgrade to the Lee PRO powder dispenser.

#11 ·
socalfamous87:

About the only thing in the startup kit you will want to keep after using it will be the press itself (even LEE can't screwup a single stage press). To me it makes little sense to blow off $100+ when, if you saved some more, you could get what you want. But if you just have to start reloading right now, then you most certainly can not do it for much less than a LEE single stage press kit.

When I started reloading I made many mistakes in choosing my reloading equipment, in hindsight. I try to make others aware of those mistakes so they won't make them too. I wasted money on the LEE progressive, LEE powder measures (2 different ones), LEE scales, and LEE dies. I'm not prejudice, it is just that this stuff all failed and I ended up replacing it with better more reliable and durable reloading equipment. I wasted money on crummy equipment.

You of course and others may do whatever as you please and it won't hurt my feeling but learning from others' mistakes is not a bad thing.

Save up for the Dillon RL550B and forget interim equipment. That's just my opinion and others will have their differing opinions, I'm sure.

LDBennett

#12 ·
LEE will work just fine for your particular needs at reasonable startup. Also dies and accessories are very reasonable as well. My rifle loads on the LEE Challenger are near perfect. I use the LEE Loadmaster for handgun, however, you will hear LEE is total crap from some members. That being said, many of us use LEE products and have great success, and based on what you stated about starting out, the LEE package deals will be perfect. Then at a later date if you feel you can do better with another maker or need a progressive for handgun you can better familarize yourself with all available options, which will cost substantially more than the LEE start up kits!
i dont have to use lee dies do i? its a standard size die?

#13 ·
#14 · (Edited)
Your question really boils down to two different subjects;

#1 the brand of press you are inquiring about.

#2 is single stage right or do I need a semi progressive or progressive

What is a higher priority, time or your budget? Lee products will draw criticism until they day we all pass, I agree to an extent that they make affordable presses, material quality is where that savings reflects in their products. Most people are fine with their single stage presses and will not challenge the maximum durabilty of the construction. That being said you are sure to see before long lots of replies about LD's and my statement and the Lee lovers vs haters battle continues, nuff said here.

If you want to minimize time more so than with a single stage press (a batch of 100 .223's will take a few hours to load on a SS press) at least look at a good turret press and begin with a semi-progressive machine. You will find you loading time will be cut in half at least with a turret such as the Lyman, Redding or RCBS. Take a good look at the stickies posted up top and decide what dictates your purchase; time or money.

#16 ·
I read other posts that infer LEE dies cause them issues and that some dies don't work on some presses. Because other members including LD have had experience with different brands of reloading equipment they may have better answers for you. I only use LEE. I can say this, I have loaded many thousands of rounds on my LEE presses using LEE dies and Lee equipment over a number of years. Other than a few products from Hornady and RCBS for other operations related to loading such as gages, comparators, swagers etc., my experience with LEE equipment and reloads has been great. My rifle loads as stated on my Challenger press are perfection and as a reloader I fall in love with them. My handgun loads which I use my Loadmaster for are more than satisfactory as well. By the way, you can reload handgun rounds on a single stage too, just slower as stated above. I load for over 15 calibers all on LEE equipment from start to finish with excellent results. Because I like the gadgets and time savers I do buy equipment other loaders may not, so purchasing LEE has saved me a lot of money. For me it's all been positive. However, for those who have little patience or handle their equipment like a "bull in a china shop", LEE is not for them. LEE uses a lot of plastic/nylon which is great for the purpose (lubrication) but.... does not hold up well when roughly handled. Again, as LD and others have said, a single stage press LEE kit for your purpose is fine. Once you have used it you can decide if LEE is for you or not. If it is, you will save a bundle, if not it will cause you a lifetime of misery. You also may start reloading and not like it. For some of us it is very relaxing and gratifying plus saves us plenty of money if we shoot alot. Different strokes for different folks. One thing is paramount though, read every loading manual you can get, pay attention, and use common sense. As much fun as reloading can be, it is very serious business. And don't hesitate to check in with your questions to this forum. No question is dumb and I truly believe we have an exceptional membership that can answer all your questions. Good luck 87!

#17 ·
1. Start simple with a single-stage press or a semi-progressive like the PW 200 or Metallic 2, or a turret.

2. Don't let price be the deciding factor.

3. You get what you pay for.

#19 ·
socalfamous87...I recently got into reloading as well. The kit caught my eye initially because of the price. But as I started researching online reviews of its component parts, I shyed away from the powder measure device and the scale.
I ended up buying the Breechlock Challenger press by itself. Then I added the Hornady digital electronic scale and the Hornady hand held primer. I bought the Lee pro auto disk powder measure unit. I picked up a good digital caliper from Harbor Freight for about $15.
I then bought the Lee 4 piece die set. One set for 38 special & the other set for 9mm. I also bought a breechlock bushing for each die. That way you can set your tolerances then pop it in & out of the breechlock press. Two of the bushings go for $8. I do the bullet seating on one die and the crimping on the fourth die. For kicks I "won" on Ebay a very inexpensive manual reloaders scale.
As a newby to this, I like the idea of starting with a single stage. That way I'm focused on each step. Time is not a big deal with me. I need to understand the process.
I bought the "ABC's of Reloading" and the reloading handbook authored by Mr. Lee.
Everybody starts out differently. I didn't buy everything at once. It took a good month to research and buy the items. But I'm glad I did it this way.

#20 ·
Either of those Lee kits will serve you well for your needs. Even if you do decide to upgrade to a turret or progressive in the future, I promise that SS press won't be lonely. I have 2 SS and a turret. They all get their fair share of use.
I think it'd be nice thing if a Dillon owner would put down a cost of gear to compare. Everything to get started minus the dies.

#22 ·
Dillon is by far the most expesive, but they were the ones that started the great warrinties. I started out on RCBS single stage kit and still use it a lot of larger caliber rifle ammo. I bought a cheaper progreesive and had nothing but trouble with it and ended up buyind a Dillon and have been very pleased with it. When starting out any of the single stage kits are great, you will get to see if you like reloading or not. Reloading is like any other "hobby" your going spend as much as you can or want to. Dillon is very expensive but the quality and engineering is very good. People will always arge about which is the best, after you learn the basics and decide if you like reloading YOU decide what brand you want. This subject is about like which make of truck is better. I know what I like but the next person may like brand B. There will be lemons in anything manufactured so that has to be looked at. Not much help but truthfull, do I want a Dodge or Chevy, wait there is also Ford etc.

#23 ·
My 3 Lee presses have served me well and still use them. I went to a T-Mag II and liked it and still use it as well, but now have a LNL-AP. (this is over a 12 year time) The Lee powder throwers are not the best, mine does not like the ball powders. I like the RCBS and Hornady measures better. The dies, I have RCBS, Lee, Laymans, and Hornady. Cant say i like any one the best they all do there job.

#24 ·
Being that he's just wanting to get into loading and that he clearly states that he plans on working in stages, I just don't see a need for him to spend triple the cost right up front.
I don't argue about the Dillon warranty being so great but that's not all that sells merchandise.
Maybe some can just afford to hand out large sums of cash but others may be best suited to spend less now and add on as time goes buy.
I agree the Lee scale can be difficult and patience is needed (I didn't have any so I shot mine) and the powder measure can seem flimsy but I get real good throws with mine with the right powder.
As to the warranty, I bought the Challenger Anniversary kit some decade and change ago. A couple of years ago the aluminum links broke. I called Lee and they told me that they had been updated. I told the young lady that mine was better than 10 years old and she said that they would send me the new steel ones for a price. I stated that I didn't think that fair since it was a material failure that they caught and that they should repair it for no cost. She took my name and address and a few days later new ones were in the mailbox. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe it was just my charm ;).

#25 ·
A LEE materials choice failure. What a surprise! And what a surprise that their first response was to have you pay for the broken part!

In nearly 25 years of use, I have broken or worn out many a part on my Dillon RL550B. I have never been asked to pay for anything. They completely rebuilt the press two times, updated it multiple times, and when I felt I was at fault and asked to pay for a part they refused my money. But of course that is why Dillon presses are more expensive. They offer unheard of service, like replacing a Dillon press lost in a fire. I appreciate service like that and appreciate the good tool that Dillon reloading stuff is. But others may be more cost conscience and that is their choice. I made my choice about 25 years ago.

LDBennett

#26 ·
A LEE materials choice failure. What a surprise! And what a surprise that their first response was to have you pay for the broken part!

In nearly 25 years of use, I have broken or worn out many a part on my Dillon RL550B. I have never been asked to pay for anything. They completely rebuilt the press two times, updated it multiple times, and when I felt I was at fault and asked to pay for a part they refused my money. But of course that is why Dillon presses are more expensive. They offer unheard of service, like replacing a Dillon press lost in a fire. I appreciate service like that and appreciate the good tool that Dillon reloading stuff is. But others may be more cost conscience and that is their choice. I made my choice about 25 years ago.

LDBennett
And I respect that and I respect your opinions and knowledge. I never meant to disrespect you or Dillon. If I had the extra cash on hand I would probably consider a Dillon. I don't, so I add as I go. With the economy as it is and him with a 1 year old, I would guess things may be tight for him as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.