1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

I need snapping turtle recipes

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by sluggermn, Jul 18, 2006.

1. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

took my kids fishing this last weekend and I caught 2 nice pan sized catfish and my son caught the snapping turtle that was trying to make a meal out of the 2 fish i had on the stringer.

does any one have a recipe for turtle soup??
    I have heard it is delocious but I'm not sure how to make it.

thank you
    slugger
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Found this on the net

Read this too

10 ounces (2-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 pound turtle meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1 cup minced celery (4 stalks)
    2 medium onions, minced (2 medium)
    1-1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
    3 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1-1/2 cups tomato purée
    1 quart beef stock
    NOTE: If turtle bones are available, add them to the beef bones when making the stock for this dish
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, as needed
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    5 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon minced parsley
    6 teaspoons dry sherry
    Melt 8 ounces (2 sticks) butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the flour and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the roux is light brown. Set aside.
    In a 5-quart saucepan, melt the remaining butter and add turtle meat. Cook over high heat until the meat is brown. Add celery, onions, garlic and seasonings, and cook until the vegetables are transparent.

Add tomato purée, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the roux and cook over low heat, stirring, until the soup is smooth and thickened. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Add lemon juice, eggs and parsley.

Remove from heat and serve. At the table, add 1 teaspoon sherry to each soup plate.

You gotta let me know how it turns out. :D

Crpdeth
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

First be sure your table-fare is not on the endangered list---thank Campbells soup for that. Remember, it`s legs-neck and tail, thats it......no surprise in the shell........just a big stomach. The three meated varmit..yum yum!
    Soup`s a waste and if that small---chunk it back.

LTS
  4. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Turtle and dumplings just like chicken & dumplings only better;) Or fried turtle and biscuits with cane syrup OMG now I want some my self:D :D
  5. grdad45

grdad45 New Member

I don't know what you have been feeding your turtle, but the ones in our lake seem to like fresh fish best.:rolleyes:

(There's a SA in every crowd, ain't there?)
  6. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

thanks for all the responses!! s.a.'ed ones included! lol

I tried some of it grilled with a hickory honey bbq sauce on low heat uummmmm yummy.
    I also tried somthing a little weird, turtle jerky. I marianded (sp?) the meat in the honey hickory bbq sauce overnight after grinding it up and put it in the dehydrator that turned out pretty good but you have to watch the meat it drys REALLY REALLY fast and I over dryed it but the taste is good I just have to reconstitute it some so you can bite off a piece, other wise you have to suck on it a while... oh well lesson learned..

slugger
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

ROTF!

Hey glad to hear your "trial runs" turned out good, I'll remember to check in here If I come across enough snappers to fool with.

Crpdeth
  8. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

now my problem is my father in law...
    he saw a snapping turtle under the bridge next to his farm and he wants me to come out and help him catch it.
    The problem is he told me the thing is about 6 FEET across and has a head the size of a softball :eek:
    Im not sure I want to wrassel with a feller that is that big.

slugger the snapper hunter
  9. grdad45

grdad45 New Member

Better check the wildlife laws around there. Snapping turtles are totally protected here.
  10. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

I`m not that up to date with up north types-but six feet??????
    I doubt it is a snapper-more than likely a soft shell. But still doubt six feet.
    Some years back in Lousiana a turtle about 165lbs was caught on a trotline and died. Lousiana game wardens were called in for removal and examination. Upon autopsy a "flint arrowhead" was found imbedded in the area of the shell`s spine proving that they`re real life span is unknown.
    Fasinating!!! Like I also said above-You had better check with local wildfife before harvesting "ANY" turtle or admitting anything of the sort.

If truely anywhere close to that size call and report it to wild life---they will remove it for study and place it in captivity.

The largest I have ever seen was about three feet across with a head of your size, a soft shell of about 120lbs.

Be safe.
    LTS
  11. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

Ok liketo shoot you got me, I talked to the f.i.l. on monday and he said the shell was the size of a metal wash tub. that is still pretty darn big and not somthing you would want to wresle with bare handed!!
    I am checking the game laws to be safe,.....
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Cool!