I Need Some Opionions HK USP 9MM OR SPRINGFIELD ARMS XD9801

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by armedandready, Dec 22, 2004.

1. armedandready

armedandready New Member

Well I finally narrowed my choices down to 2 guns. Im looking at the HK USP 9mm and the Springfield Arms XD9801 9mm. Does anyone have any experience with either of these guns. It will be my primary carry pistol and I may use it at the range maybe 3 times a month. Please give me any personal experiences or problems with either of these guns. Please dont reccomend any other guns it took me long enough to narrow it down to these two. :D
  2. offeror

offeror New Member

Both are first rate guns. I have liked the USPs for a long time, but they are very large and I think being phased out by HK in favor of other models. I know I'd be happy with either of these, but my favor is now shifting to the XD. It's handsome, has a full set of controls, is not too big to carry all day, and is becoming proven in the field. I also think they are comfortable in the hand, as long as you don't mind a grip safety. The HKs still seem friendlier for lefties like me, however, which is still something to think about in my case -- the controls are reversible. Let us know which you pick.
  3. armedandready

armedandready New Member

I went to the gun dealer today and held both I couldnt really feel what the HK would feel like in a 9mm because they only had a 45. I am really leaning towards the XD.
  4. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Springfield voter here. I have shot just about every type of round through an xd9 and it ate them all perfectly. The short barrel is the one I have shot. The HK USP Compact is pretty cool, but still huge to me. I HATE Glocks( the model XD's are kinda chasin), but the XD feels great to me. Wierd, but true. Springfield made a better Glock. Reliable. My best friend stakes his life on it every day.

--beagle
  5. HI-5-O

HI-5-O New Member

It's Springfield for me too. Got the XD9 9401 as I wanted the 5 inch barrel. The 9801 is just 3 inches, but even in the subcompact model the grip feels just right. :)
    Just got it a month ago, so I'm still learning how to shoot it well with reloads.
    Good Luck!
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Sticking with your request on not recommending other guns - I say wait until you can handle both the calibre you are interested in. As others have said, the USP is just big. They both seem to be reliable and functional guns - therefore go with the one that fits your grip the best.
  7. Bucky Bronco

Bucky Bronco New Member

My vote is for the XD. I have a distaste for all polymer framed guns; I'm old fashioned. But, I really like the XD since it's first appearance as the HS2000 and I got one for $275--really! Shoots a houseafire, great controls and is just the right size combining all the best designs from other great pistols. I rather like the grip safety and the visuals on loaded chamber and cocked indication. I knew it was a winner and would go no where as the HS. The power of Springfield's name did it. Will it replace the Glock in the market place? Who cares? It works for me; I love the lines, even the trigger, and it puts the ammo down range accurately. I love the way the mags slip right out for quick reloads. A great IDPA pistol. I wanna .45 GAP for Christmas!
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  8. armedandready

armedandready New Member

$275.00 ???? Wow how did you get if for that price the best I could find is $480.00 I think im definitely getting the XD I went to the gun shop today to look at it again. The guys at the shop are cool they didnt seem upset that I was just coming in to look at it for the third time without buying. Too bad I wont be buying it from them they want $550.00 for it and I found it at another place for $480.00
  9. HI-5-O

HI-5-O New Member

Check out GunBroker.com. There's one listed for $399.95 new. A used one currently has a bid for $285, but reserve has not been met yet.

Some are used, but some are brand new. You will need to pay an FFL to receive the pistol at your end and then transfer it to you.

Good luck!
  10. armedandready

armedandready New Member

How much do they usually charge to do an FFL transfer. I called one place and they wanted $100 bucks isnt that excessive?
  11. HI-5-O

HI-5-O New Member

Yes, $100 is excessive! :eek:

Check out the FFL listings on GunBrokers.

For my XD-9 Tactical, I paid $40 for my transfer. There were a few FFL dealers in my area that listed $25 for them to do the transfer, but I picked one that I bought a firearm from once before and one that I trusted. They told me they normally charge $50 or 10% of purchase price, but since they had posted $40 on GB's website they charged me only $40.

Good luck!
  12. armedandready

armedandready New Member

Made my decesion. Thanks for all of the replies and help guys I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be getting it in a week or so. I'll post and tell you guys about it.

[​IMG]