1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

I need some self defense advice.

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Sackett

Sackett Member

I probably cannot offer anything that has not been mentioned above except a few things I've learned.
    1. Nothing, absolutely nothing replaces either training in a martial arts or self defense class.
    2. Training builds confidence in your abilities. I don't mean a snotty attitude either. Trained fighters don't need to prove anything. As a matter of fact, they seem calm to an outward observer and they are calm. You WILL learn your strengths and weaknesses and everyone has them. You WILL get an inner confidence. Calm confidence is a powerful deterrent, not a beligerant attitude.
    3. Keep relaxed, a stiff body is wasting energy. Again this comes with confidence in your ability. It also slows you down.
    4. Do NOT worry about the outcome or getting hit.
    5. If punches fly, let them hit your arms. They are wasting energy.
    6. If or WHEN you strike, the nose, the throat, the solar plexus(wind) are your targets.
    7. Now this is the hard part to understand. If you strike for the nose, your focus is not the nose, it the back of your opponents head. You are punching through the nose to the back of the head. It is the same with the throat or wind. Your focus will be the spine. even though your target was the Adam's apple or ribs.
    You do NOT need to draw your fist back to do this. Your fist strikes from wherever it is as fast as you can make it go, but your focus is behind the target. Your strikes will be devastating. Do not stop until your opponent has stopped.
    8. If you use your legs or knees, aim through the knee caps or drive the groin area up into the chest. What I'm saying here is DON'T stop on contact, follow through.
    What I have just described here is very violent and maybe nauseating, but this is what fighters do. Personally, I do NOT want to fight anyone. I DO NOT want to hurt anyone. Do I know how to hurt someone? YES. I hope I never have to with all my heart.
    9. Repeating #1. Nothing replaces training in either a martial arts or self defense class.
    I wish you well.
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Thanks, Sackett, and welcome to TFF! Glad you decided to share your wisdom with us. :)
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to see you at TFF, Sackett.

We hope you will join us often and continue to post often. We have a very congenial bunch of folks here and the collective knowledge is unsurpassed elsewhere.

Attached Files:

4. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

right on dude, welcome to the party
  5. 4 eyed six shooter

4 eyed six shooter New Member

You have got some good info here. Avoid a fight when possible, but fight like a mad man when you have to.
    Attitude is the one thing that will help you avoid fights. If you carry yourself tall and strong, people will think twice before messing with you. I was a LEO for 15 years and can tell you, the way you carry yourself and the way you look at people makes a big difference. I have a look that has backed off many men far larger than me and had them begging not to kick their butts. It works. If you have the reputation around school as being an easy target, it may take giving someone else a good butt kicking in front of others to change your reputation. After the fight, looking at everyone else with a crazed look in your eye and asking who is next will back the rest off. Once word gets around, the bullys will look elsewhere for an easier target. I'm not saying to go pick a fight, only that if you get in one, go full tilt crazy. Try not to injure too bad or you could end up in trouble with the law. Self defense is a proper excuse for a fight, starting one first may not be.
    My best to you, John k