I need to vent

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by stev32k, Nov 3, 2012.

1. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

1. Good cutomer service is not giving customers a hard time about sending a few indexing pawls that cost under a buck....

2. Good customer service is being available more than 8-5 on monday - thursday. these are better than bankers hours

3. Good customer service is sending parts immediately and not waiting so you receive parts 7 days later.

4. Good customer service is walking through the adjustment or set-up change on the phone.

ON ALL THESE POINTS - HORNADY CUTOMER SERVICE HAS FAILED. I will never buy another Hornady product for any reason including free bullet offers that are not free....
  2. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

I suspect Hornady products are designed and manufactured in communist China because it is very aparent to me that they have lost their way on quality control.

A new press out of the box should not have these problems and should not break on a consistent basis after 50 rounds or so....

My advice?

Avoid Hornady; it is not worth the hastles of custantly fussing with their equipment and every time you pull the ram hoping the press does not break.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

LEE or RCBS cant say never had a issue but the company has always resolved it to my satisfaction , BOTH

i do prefer Lee as they are more folksy , yes RCBS is a bit better but for a bit more too

i say they are equal but different

but both honest in their dealings with customers and in todays world that alone is a good thing
  4. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

I've not had any of those issues with customer service except for the working hours. The CS people I've talked to have never given me a hassle and the parts usually get here in two days.

I've spent a lot of time on the phone with CS on the primer feed issue and they have been very courteous, interested, and helpful.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Hornady LNL Progressive Press bad???????

stev32k:

Don't be too quick to discount RAJBCPA problems as he posted them. If I were you I'd check my Hornady press against his list of problems.

At this early point in your ownership you might still have the option of getting your money back if you can not successfully get the press working. That may be impossible 6 month or a year from now if your press turns out to be as bad as RAJBCPA's did. If the design or quality is the problem you may never get it right.

All this takes me back as no one here except you two (at least in my memory) have ever complained about the Hornady LNL progressive press. In fact, it has been the exact opposite. As I said before I do not like or want any auto indexing press and try to steer people away from the Hornady but not on quality or design issues. I do that just because of the auto indexing feature (too complicate with no reward). I believe you two are having or had problems but how come no one else? Has the Hornady quality disintegrated over time?

LDBennett
  6. stev32k

Re: Hornady LNL Progressive Press bad???????

I'm not discounting his experience at all. My experience is just not the same.

The two of us on this forum are not the only ones to have issues with the LNL. I talked to one guy that only loads one round at a time and watches it at every stage. He does not put a case in the shell holder until the finished round is in the bin.

Yet another guy I talked to has modified his primer feed system shown here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/332497_.html. He was having some of the same problems I do.

P.S. I'm not ready to give up on the press yet. I have not had enough time to really give it a good work out. When the new pawl arrives I'll try to load several hundred rounds and see how it goes. So far I've only loaded about fifty live rounds the rest have been dummies.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  7. LDBennett

stev32k:

Did you not say there was an alignment problem of the table? RAJBCPA said:

"After the sixth pawl was broken and I explained that the press could not be indexed properly, they gave me a hard time about replacement parts."

He had table alignment problems too.

You say another guy only uses the press as a turret press? What a waste.

It does seem the the press design has problems. I don't know why they have not been more highlighted here if that is the case (??). I most certainly would not keep it and I would push to get my money back while I still might be able to. Then I'd buy the Dillion RL550b as RAJBCPA did. Auto indexing is not worth having if it is this troublesome. I'll admit that the priming station is the Dillion weak point too but most certainly not to the extent of the Hornady, as you and RAJBCPA reported. I may see one problem with it during a reloading session of over 500 rounds but it is easily adjusted or cleared to fix it.

Well good luck.

LDBennett
  8. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

....nuff said.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      55.4 KB
      Views:
  9. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I had a few little problems with mine. I asked questions here and i got the answers. Shooter was a big help, along with a few others. So don't get that upset, just ask and they will help ya out. as i use mine it does get better and smoother.
  10. stev32k

I called Hornady on Monday about the broken pawl and it showed up today (Wednesday). That's pretty prompt service. Now that I'm back in business I'll try to load 100 rounds and see how it goes.
  11. stev32k

Here's an update - I loaded 100 rounds of 9mm and 100 rounds of .40 S&W. It was a painful experience and took about 2.5 hours. The problem is the indexing will not stay adjusted. Get it set just right and about 5 or 6 strokes later it's out of adjustment again. That leads to all kind of other problems like missed primers and crushing a case trying to get into the sizing die. It also means I have to stop and unload the shell holder and try adjusting the pawl again. All in all it's a very frustrating operation.

I'm getting to call Hornady again and see if they have a fix.
  12. LDBennett

stev32k:

OK so your press is really screwed up. I say choose one:

1). Get them to email you a shipper (free shipping ) to send the whole press back to them for a real repair.

2). Pressure them to give you your money back and go buy a Dillion RL550B.

I think you are wasting reloading supplies and your time trying to get the press fixed via the telephone. I would have been making the above choice long ago. You gave it a good try but there is a point where retreat is a better option. They could lead you on for months and then refuse the take the press back because it is too "used". Avoid the middle men and talk directly to the service supervisor. Anyway that's my opinion, but I'm biased towards the Dillion press and service.

LDBennett
  13. stev32k

Yeah, it's going back. They want me to try some new adjustment screws and if they don't work I'm going to pack it up and ship it back.

I've had PM discussions with two guys on other forums and they both had to ship their LNL back for the same reason - would not hold adjustment.

Here's what can happen on the up stroke if I don't watch carefully. (sorry about the focus)

Attached Files:

14. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

wow.. and to think i ALMOST got a LNL setup instead of my rock chucker....
  15. LDBennett

All of this is the result of a press with auto indexing. I have had three progressive presses with auto indexing (Older Hornady shotgun press, Dillion SQ Deal, and LEE 1000) and each was to some degree of a nightmare when they screwed up. Auto indexing is a waste. I can operate my Dillion RL550B without auto indexing nearly as fast as any of these auto indexing presses.

Several things happen with the auto indexers. The action is usually abrupt which can throw powder out of a case moving from the powder station to the bullet seating station. The indexing can be less than perfect causing the die to not be in alignment with the case or the primer system to screw up because the case is not in alignment with the primer system. When the table/shell holder is moved by hand you can control it to keep the motion smooth and get it locked into alignment perfectly.

Then when it does screwup you got powder all over the press and down in the workings of the press (auto indexing mechanism). This requires clearing the press to clean the powder out. Sometimes you have to take the press apart to get all the dumped powder out of it. Now, how does that save time when reloading?

This thread is the first one I have seen that shows that the Hornady LNL progressive press is not the reliable press that you get with the Dillion RL550B. Funny how others have had similar problems with the Hornady LNL and not mentioned it before(??). Some come here to argue that the Dillion RL550B is over priced and has fewer features than the Hornady LNL progressive press. Well you guys can keep your Hornady press with its auto indexing if this thread is indicative of it. While the Dillion is not perfect it is not this imperfect. Based on this thread the Hornady press design is very suspect (6 broken pawls for the auto indexing before the poster dumped the press entirely!). There is something to be said for the Dillion design which is over 30 years old, has been evolutionarily updated along the way, has an excellent reputation overall, and changed the way service is done across the entire industry. Its continued popularity must say something (??).

LDBennett