I need to vent

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by stev32k, Nov 3, 2012.

1. RandyP

RandyP Member

My Lee Classic turret also auto-indexes and honestly simply works each time, every time, thousands of rounds later and I still am using the original plastic ratchet. I know and respect that some folks have a much different experience and that gives them a negative bias.

I have NO idea how many of the problems this thread expounds are machine design/manufacturing QA failure induced or are a result of understandable pilot error from a newcomer to reloading starting out complex. There IS a lot going on at once with a progressive and each step must be aligned correctly.

I agree that if Hornady can't make it right, then perhaps the OP needs to try a different machine? Reloading is 'supposed' to be a fun, relaxing and rewarding hobby, and for most of us it is. Here's hoping things get straightened out in a satisfactory manner for stev32k.
  2. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

Dillon...Dillon...Dillon
  3. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Dillon's are great, but I don't own one.
    I have the Lee's (two of them) and they work fine for me.
    My advise is that if one is NOT mechanically inclined, avoid the LEE, it can be a challange.
    I am mechanically inclined, and I can make a Lee progressive sing.
    But it can be a hassle.
    I personnaly feel ALL progresives need a thoughtful, patient appoach.
    Read the manual, then read it again.
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

and to think i'm missing all this excitement with my SS presses.. :)
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

:yeahthat:

Well said, and there is certainly valueable lessons learned when a reloaders first experience is with single stage reloading. The overwhelming positve feedback the LNL AP has generated in the reloading community leads me to think that the negatives are typically generated by inexperienced reloaders. BTW did anyone recieve the lates flyer from Grafs? The Dillon 550B is on sale for LESS than the LNL AP, looks like Dillon is throwing the next marketing punch, I'd love to get a 550B right next to the LNL AP.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It still could be user error but both stev32 and RAJBCPA appear to be mechanically inclined. Look again at the list of problem RAJBCPA had before dumping the hornady LNL progressive press:

1. Ez-eject system locks up and often throws completed cases high to the right....
    2. primer system is horrible, constantly jamming
    3. Sliding primer bar fails to pick up primers
    4. primer guide rod pulls out of the retaining cup at the bottom of press
    5. the holes drilled in the press are mis-aligned....none of the 4 calipers I load aligned cases correctly in Station 1. You needed to use your hand to position the case under the sizing die. locking down the die with a case in the die in Station 1 is no help.
    6. the indexing pawls cannot be adjusted to advance the shell plate correctly
    7. there is no way to reliably replace broken indexing pawls; they don't come out of the press.
    8. the lock-n-load bushings need vice grips to remove and replace dies
    9. the L-N-L bushings release on their own during operation of the powder measure station
    10 The case retaining spring tears up and breaks

He broke 6 pawls used in the auto advance mechanism. stev32k is also having problems with those advancing pawls.

Has Hornady let down its quality control guard? Is the design bad and people have just been putting up with the press because they have so much invested in it?

I don't applaud anyone having trouble with any reloading equipment and I hope stev32k gets his fixed but if he doesn't then it is money back time and move on (perhaps to the Dillion RL550B??).

LDBennett
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

just got the graffs flyer today.. havn't even looked it over yet.

what I'd like to get is one of those lee hand presses.. so on lon trips when the wife is driving I can be usefull.. ;) and not be bored to tears listening to her audiobooks on cd...
  8. Jazzman

Jazzman New Member

My LNL setup and operated correctly first time out. This may be because I resize on a single stage press first. I have always hand primed and don't mind spending the time to do it. This is a hobby for me and I find it enjoyable. The only trouble I had was when I decided to drop powder and expand the case in the same station. I ordered the powderfunnels expander but could not get it set up properly. I then went to Hornadys ptx expander and finally got it working right. Now I can use my powder cop and bullet feeder and the only thing I have to do is watch the powder cop and place cases in the press. I have only loaded a couple hundred rounds so far but have not had any trouble with indexing, etc. Again, this maybe because I eliminate the primer feed and hand prime all my cases. I am happy with my setup, but I may get a Dillon down the road just to see what they have to offer. I can afford to do this so why not.

Jim
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

When you have to short circuit any part of the reloading process to use a progressive press to get acceptable result, there is something wrong with the tool. I reload totally and fully progressive on my Dillion. I don't have a bullet feeder or case feeder or even auto indexing and I think that the key to a reliable progressive reloading machine in the price class of the HORNADY Progressive LNL and the Dillion RL550B presses.

But we all get to choose our frustration level.

LDBennett
  10. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

Mine is boxed up and on it's way back to Hornady. Even with all the problems I've had I'm not ready to give up. There are too many LNLs out there that are problem free and working well. Something is just not right with mine and I believe (hope) Hornady can fix the problem.

When mine works it works well. It's fast and accurate, but it just won't hold alignment. After alignment about 10 cases will cycle before they start hitting the side of the sizing die and primers won't feed

One thing that I am really impressed with is the powder measure. It is dead on every time. I've measured and tracked the variation between charges and it maintains the charge +/- .02 grains for an average error of less than 0.1% that is pretty darn good.

I've had very good service from Hornady. When I've called them the parts usually arrive in two days and there has never been any hassle at all. The press and dies came with coupons good for 700 bullets. It said to allow 6 - 8 weeks for delivery, but they showed up on my doorstep in 9 days.
  11. CBirnley

CBirnley Member

While I don't have a ton of experience with my LNL, I do not have any complaints. I will say that the primer loading slide took some adjusting, however, I chalk it up to operator error and inexperience. When I needed parts the Hornady folks had them in my hands within two days. They even replaced a few parts that broke bc of my actions. I would suggest their product to anyone looking at getting a progressive. Best of Luck!