I prefer WWII battle rifles.......

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Ionredline 06, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Ionredline 06

Ionredline 06 New Member

but I'm not sure of all the world guns involved. Kinda vague.....not sure how to word it. I have a Beautiful M1 Garand and Mauser M48. I also have a Lee Enfield No. 1 Mk 4 (Savage). But I'm interested in aquiring other WWII era guns used during that time period. What others are there? I heard of the Japanese Type 99 and the Italian Carcano, but I also was told they were practically junk. I know of the Springfield 1903, I just haven't got my hands on one yet. So what's missing?
  2. The Russian-built Mosin Nagant rifles are the main category you are missing, Ionredline. There were three models commonly used during WWII: the 91/30, for the design of 1891 as modified in 1930; the Model 38 (1938) which is essentially a carbine version of the 91/30 intended mostly for cavalry troops but used by many others; and the Model 44 (1944) with a built-in bayonet that began production in 1943. All are chambered for the 7.62x54R round and are accurate, highly reliable battle rifles, although a bit crudely made by the standards of the American Springfield and Garand, British Enfield, and German Mauser. The Mosins are also the cheapest to get today, usually priced under $100 if you have a CRFFL. There were many variations of the Mosins, some of which were built outside the Soviet Union, such as the Finnish model of 1939.
  3. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Out of my mind: Mossin Nagant and SVT Tokarev (Russians), GW43, FG42, STG44 (Germans), Lebel and MAS (france), 1941 Johnson (USA). As for Carcanos and Arisakas being junk I don't think so. They had their drawbacks, but I wouldn't laugh if somebody were shooting at me with any of them!!
  4. Quite correct; all those are you named are good examples of WWII battle weapons, Bear, though I have to say I think the French Lebel was not even in the same league as the German Mausers and Russian Mosins. The Arisaka was, I think, a better battle rifle than it is often credited with being, though it was still pretty much a WWI design and the later ones were definitely very crudely made. I handled and fired an Italian Carcano carbine once, and frankly, I was not much impressed with its manufactuing quality or its basic operation. To me, it seemed too loosely and sloppily built, yet it is true that a Carcano is what Lee Harvey Oswald used to shoot President Kennedy, assuming one does not hold with the "grassy knoll" theory or some neferious plot by the CIA.:D
  5. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Agree PS about the Lebel, it was mostly a WWI leftover(Even then it was outdated), but it was used by France in WWII so that's why I mentioned it. About the Carcano it would be, my last choice if I had to choose one of those rifles for a fight today but I won't feel defensless with one.
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Mosin's Mausers and Enfields would be my favorites. I could be partiall due to their prices:)
  7. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Of course, if one is not worried about it actually being *used* during WWII (except to hold captured Axis or Allied pilots prisoner), there is the Swiss K-31.
  8. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

... or Sweden Ljungman, semi-auto, box magazine
  9. Hmmm, I had not considered that one, Bear. I suppose that is because one rarely thinks of Sweden in terms of WWII.
  10. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Actually I remembered the Ljungman because in English I'm always confused between swiss (The chocolate guys) and swedens (Ah! Those are the vikings):)
  11. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

The Swiss == the chocolate guys, the fondue guys, the numbered bank account guys, the William Tell guys

The Swedes == the viking guys, the hot sauna guys, the "ya, you betcha" guys, the lutefisk guys, the Volvo guys, the Vasa guys, the SAAB guys, the Swedish Mauser guys
  12. Not to worry, Bear. Your English is superb, alas, much better than most of my students, who grew up here in the U.S., can speak or write! :D By the way, just curious, where did you learn such excellent English? I assume your native tongue is Spanish since you hail from San Salvador, but you seem extremely comfortable in English.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2006
  13. Not to mention the K-31 guys, John! :D

Don't forget the "good Lord, the whole country is frozen over" guys. ;)
  14. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Thank PS. I took English lessons for 2 years at the Escuela Americana extension department, back in the 80's. That was it, I guess I'm just good with languages:D When I go the movies, I force myself not to watch the subtitles. And I do a lot of reading in English. Maybe that's a good advice for your students.:)
  15. You certainly seem to have a fine talent for them Bear, especially English, which is assuredly not the easiest language to learn, by far! And you are definitely right, reading is the key to building a good vocabulary, along with lots of extemporaneous speaking and writing for practice with the informal, vernacular usage of the language. I keep telling my students that, but alas, some of them fail to listen.