The Firearms Forum banner

I quit! no more deer hunting for me

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  nmckenzie 
#1 ·
after another day of deer hunting I decided to call it quits. The plan was to have an easy hunt by just sitting in the truck and wait for the consistent deer to walk by. They've been walking through this farmer's yard 45 minutes before sunset for 2 weeks now.

Last Saturday was an exceptionally hard hunt and I decided to give it one more try. I did that and now I can honestly say "I am done!" I don't care if the late season continues through today. I am done.

Some people find it hard to make that phrase. I understand how addictive it is and I was out there every single weekend without any success. Until last night, that is.;)

#2 ·
Ya got one?

#4 · (Edited)
It sounds like you are saying you spot lighted to get one?
I have been hunting sense I was 12 and have never been skunked.
But I spend as much time pre season in the woods as I do hunting.
You need to find them and set up on them if you do your homework(pre season)it's not that hard.
I love deer meat and eat it all the time I am not sure what I would do if I did not have any venison to eat.
I have NEVER hunted from a truck and never will.I hope you do not give up it is a good way to get out and see mother nature at it's best.You get to get away from the BS of the house and shop(work).And is very relaxing for me.
Next year get a NY lic. and come up here and you will get one(or two).Just let me know you are more then welcome to hunt on my land.
Mike

#6 · (Edited)
Good for you. :)

It wasn't spotlighting, jacking or poaching if it was 45 minutes before sunset.
He was not clear that he did the same rutein on the hunt he got one.
That's why I asked.
And I am one to say that if you need to put meat in the freezer for your family that taking one out of time is wrong.;)
You do what you have to do.
68 I was NOT implying that you broke ANY law just asking.:)
If you put in your time scouting then you should get one is all I was saying.
Up here it is easy to get a doe just go to the old growth apple trees (or cherry) and stand there they will come by.
They are all over up here.
It's finding the big bucks that get's to be a bummer but you can't eat the horns.
Mike

#7 ·
I don't know if 68 shot a deer illegaly, or not. And I don't care. I've taken my share of illegal game in my life time. Sometimes being in the woods, watching the deer, learning their habits, where they eat, where they bed down, just isn't enough. Some states will let you feed the deer, like here in TX, I can put out corn for them through out the year, and hunt over the feeder. Some states won't allow this, but you can plant crops, of winter grass, soybeans, snow peas, or what ever you want. When you control a food source, you do have some control over the critters that eat it. "Build it, they will come". They really will.

#9 ·
Good for you. :)

It wasn't spotlighting, jacking or poaching if it was 45 minutes before sunset.
we can hunt until 30 minutes after sunset. I was right on the 30 minute mark when my .270 went bang
Up here it is easy to get a doe just go to the old growth apple trees (or cherry) and stand there they will come by.
the way they were acting, it would have been another hour or more before they came to the apple trees in the yard
pics or it didn't happen;)
by the time I got her out of the field it was way too dark, and my camera was frozen.

#10 ·
It sounds like you are saying you spot lighted to get one?
I have been hunting sense I was 12 and have never been skunked.
But I spend as much time pre season in the woods as I do hunting.
You need to find them and set up on them if you do your homework(pre season)it's not that hard.
I love deer meat and eat it all the time I am not sure what I would do if I did not have any venison to eat.
I have NEVER hunted from a truck and never will.I hope you do not give up it is a good way to get out and see mother nature at it's best.You get to get away from the BS of the house and shop(work).And is very relaxing for me.
Next year get a NY lic. and come up here and you will get one(or two).Just let me know you are more then welcome to hunt on my land.
Mike
I can't stress enough how true this is.

The guys who are there, in the field, year round, with binoculars,

are the ones walking OUT of the woods on Opening Day with the trophy

buck, while all the other hunters are walking in...

#12 ·
I dunno, I've been hunting this same land since 1994. Every year I get at least my buck and a doe. A bad year is when I only get one.

I know the land better than the deer do.

Last year was the first season in 10 years I got skunked.

Today was the last day of extended doe season...

Now it's the first time since 1987 I got skunked two years in a row....:cool:

#13 ·
we can hunt until 30 minutes after sunset. I was right on the 30 minute mark when my .270 went bang

the way they were acting, it would have been another hour or more before they came to the apple trees in the yard

by the time I got her out of the field it was way too dark, and my camera was frozen.
Happy for ya bud

#14 ·
Congratulations!
Happy for ya bud
thanks guys. It means a lot to me.
I dunno, I've been hunting this same land since 1994. Every year I get at least my buck and a doe. A bad year is when I only get one.

I know the land better than the deer do.

Last year was the first season in 10 years I got skunked.

Today was the last day of extended doe season...

Now it's the first time since 1987 I got skunked two years in a row....:cool:
we started making plans for next year already. We are heading west river where the herd population is higher. There will be about 6 of us all together. We have also decided to leave Kingsbury county and his family land alone for 2 or 3 years.

I thawed out my camera and had the wife take pics of it in the garage but I'll be damned if I can find the cord to plug it into my PC.

#15 ·
we started making plans for next year already. We are heading west river where the herd population is higher. There will be about 6 of us all together. We have also decided to leave Kingsbury county and his family land alone for 2 or 3 years.

I thawed out my camera and had the wife take pics of it in the garage but I'll be damned if I can find the cord to plug it into my PC.
Fantastic! I'll be applying for tags for myself and my 2 sons in about 6 weeks, I'm getting excited just thinking about it. Post pics when you can, we're looking forward to them.

#16 ·
found a cord for my camera. First pic is me and the second one I had my youngest boy join in. He's such a good boy and I love him more than anything. Even with his autism he is in a good mood 98% of the time.

Attachments

#18 ·
Regarding autism; My wife and I teach an art class for special needs kids one morning a week at a local school. The class includes kids with Asperger's and Autism, and they're a joy to teach. Actually, I think we learn more from them than they do from us. Great kids, every single one of 'em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.