I read somewhere that Somo wrestling was very popular in Japan....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Apr 7, 2004.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

And they say that the lower the center of gravity is for the Somo wrestler, the easier it is for them to throw the opponent out of the ring and win the match.....

Any thoughts on this one folks..? :p
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Hmmmmmm....... reckon he's talking about anyone we know? :rolleyes: :p :D
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I believe that it's SUmo.....
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

you ought to know by now that when i say one thing, I almost always mean something else......

I guess I'm just a smart***....... :p
  5. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Are these the guys who wear diapers?
  6. Marlin

Affirmative.

Just pullin' yer leg, GN!

:) :) :)
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well, SoMo wrestling is probably pretty popular with Marlin....but then, they're still newleyweds....... :D
  8. SouthernMoss

9. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Ok, I'm going to bore y'all for a second with some trivial information....

I've been doing some reading lately on centered riding techniques (for riding horses). One of the things I never really thought about is where my center is.

For most men, we consider our center to be somewhere in our chest. That's because our strength is generally in our upper bodies. But in reality, your center is between your navel and your pubic arch. It's right at the front of your spine. When doing certain physical activities, it's important to focus on your center.

I imagine that Sumo wrestling is much the same way. Upper body strength isn't very helpful unless you balance it through your center. It's such a simple idea, but it's immensely helpful in all aspects of life.

So, Marlin, how is that SoMo rasslin'?
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  10. SouthernMoss

Interesting stuff, Sniper. Is a woman's center normally in the same area?
  11. Marlin

Somo is a formidible partner in all we do!!

Normal type Rasslin' is very un-ladylike for my Precious Sweetheart.

Any other kind is between us and not for publication......

Attached Files:

12. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Yup.
  13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Actually, not. Most women's center is a little higher as the weight and mass distribution is a bit different from that of a man's. Vive le difference! :D

Observe the difference in centering for certain martial arts moves, comparing a woman's stance to a man's. If a woman takes a man's stance and performs a kick, she loses power. Women know this instinctively, as they have to change their balance stance over a period of several years as they mature.

Pops
  14. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

OK , I had to clear this up. Yes a mans center OF GRAVITY is actually just ABOVE the naval. A womans is LOWER!!!!! Men carry more than 50% ( most men) above the waist, women carry more than half their weight below the waist. Women also have higher hips. A woman at 5'9" will normally have hips at the same height as a 6' tall man.
    To prove this;
    Stand nose and toes to the wall. Move one foot to the heal of the other foot, do it again and you are now three feet (your foot length) away from the wall. Put a chair (or other samll weight)between you and the wall, bend over, put your head against the wall, pick up the chair, now STAND UP STRAIGHT. Guys cant do it can they? But the women can. Its not about strength, it is about CENTER OF GRAVITY. Men can barely stand up straight without any extra weight of a chair. But again, women are meant to have a lower center of gravity.
    Why do you think so many women are so good at the standing position in a shooting compitition? Yep, those legs are bigger, holding up a lighter upper half. Better foundation with less to hold still.

But to defend AandS, My sensai told me to focus between naval and pubic area also. But NO, that is not technically your 'center'

----Beagle
  15. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

FWIW, I wasn't referring to "center of gravity" when I was talking about your center. If that's what I was talking about, I would have said "center of gravity". I'm talking about your center of strength, your center of energy.

It has more to do with the muscles in this region. These are the largest and strongest muscles in your body. Anybody here do Pilates? The Pilate people call it your "powerhouse". It's the same principle as your center.

As I said before, men tend to think their center is higher up because we carry our strength in our upper bodies. It's all about perceptions of where your strength lies. If you mentally focus your strength into your center, you are capable of much more. I guess it's a psycho/spiritual/zen kind of thing. I haven't really been able to get too far into this yet. I'm an engineer, so I'm a little too analytical.