The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I really like getting presents.

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 · (Edited)
UPS just dropped off some new play things.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
And you didn't have them bring anything to me???? :( :D :D :D

Have fun with your new play-purties! :)

#7 ·
Went with the Adam's and Bennett. Part of the package deal from Midway.com.

Thanks for the comments.
What is your opinions on floating the barrel? I have read conflicting reports. Some say floating the barrel puts too much stress on the receiver on the 10/22. I think I feel more comfortable floating the barrel than I do bedding it. With that being said, what are your techniques for both steps?

#8 ·
tooclean said:
Went with the Adam's and Bennett. Part of the package deal from Midway.com.

Thanks for the comments.
What is your opinions on floating the barrel? I have read conflicting reports. Some say floating the barrel puts too much stress on the receiver on the 10/22. I think I feel more comfortable floating the barrel than I do bedding it. With that being said, what are your techniques for both steps?
In the stock, (looks like a Fajen) there's a rise (like a speed bump made of wood) in the barrel bed about half way down the forearm. (if I remember right) anyway, look for it. It is an interference fit to the barrel. The action take down screw can actually put enough pressure on the action assembly to make the barrel raise up away from the forearm. This is a very bad thing as the receiver is aluminum and the barrel bolts to it. Something is gonna break. Whatever you do remove some of that wood.

Now, having said that, in your match bull barrel you will get the best results with it floated. I use a 1" piece of wood dowel a foot long with 80 grit sandpaper wrapped around it. It'll take about 45 minutes of sanding to get the barrel to clear the stock when everything is assembled. I try for 1/16th to 1/8" clearance. Some just sand enough for a business card to slide freely all the way down the under barrel. A fluted barrel is a little over 3 lbs. shouldn't need any support at all. Now on occasion I have found a barrel/stock combo that wants a little support out near the end of the stock. I use a small piece of 1/16" thick foam rubber under the barrel out near the end of the stock. It just barely adds some pressure to keep the barrel supported.

Glass bedding the action and the first 1-2" of the barrel is another option but the barrel is free floated out to the end. I'll find a link with pic's on bedding and get back to this post.

just my 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.