I shot my first reloads!!!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by newby, Sep 8, 2009.

1. newby

newby New Member

I did it!! I have put A LOT of time studying and reading posts on different forums- mostly this one. I loaded 5 .40 S&W and 5 .380 ACP. I used Green Dot and JHP. They shot like a charm except the .380 was having a little trouble loading the next round as evidenced by a very small mark on the side of each case (about half way up) after it was fired. I think that my OL was a little off so I will adjust that for the next batch. Ether OL or the load ramp has a sharpie on it and it is catching the case when shoved into place.

I have a lot of bullets to reload and I am pumped that I feel a little more confident now. I am going to get these two guns down to a science and then start on rifle next.

Thanks for all the expertise and allowing me to drop in on all of your conversations so that I can learn. It is too cool to be able to hear the gun go off and see a hole in the paper- all from a round that I loaded:D
  2. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

It is very cool indeed. Congradulations and I can relate to your excitement, I felt the same way when I first started reloading.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Congratulations Newby, and welcome to the Forum.

You are now officially addicted, to both reloading and to TFF.:D;)
  4. fprefect

fprefect New Member

Congrats on your first reloads, and welcome to "The Long and Winding Road" of reloading. And believe it or not, there may be times when you may even experience a greater feeling of satisfaction than today. Take your time, double check all your loads and have fun.

F. Prefect
  5. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Newby, you bring back memories of a year ago when I first started. Sure is a great feeling when you pull that trigger on your very own reloaded ammo. I remember being apprehensive if I might have missed something or mis-understood someones advise. But man oh man I'll never forget that feeling of success! Congradulations, you are now hooked and it only gets better from here.:) Don't hesitate to ask more questions as they arise.
  6. Texxut

Texxut Member

Welcome Newby !

Shot your first reloads and still have all your fingers!
    You're off to a good start.

:D
  7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Feels good doesn't it!:D
  8. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Wow, post like this remind me why I love reloading, everytime I break somthing or screw up a batch or cuss my equipment and think to myself "why do I love this?" Then I remember that feeling, like when your first loads worked, or the first time my loads shot a MOA group. Wow I love shooting!

Congratulations and good luck on your future loads!
  9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Feels good doesn't it? I only reload .45ACP but there are so many variables between powders, loads and bullets...it never gets boring, It's like one big Science Project.
  10. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Aint nothing better (well maybe spam made with bacon) than your first reloads going bang like they are supposed too! Too cool, have fun and be safe!
  11. newby

newby New Member

I set up my powder measure (I am still trying to trust that mechanism a little more) and loaded another 50 rounds (40 S&W) last night. It took me about 2 hours to load the 50 rounds- I am still slow and check everything twice and three times. I got my press set up so that towards the end of the 50 rounds I did not have to measure OL as much and everything was coming out uniform. I have to learn to trust that too.

Tonight I am going to tackle another 50 rounds and then move toward my .380 brass and load about 50 of those sometime before Friday. I am going to stop off at the local indoor range on my way home at noon on Friday and see how these shoot.
  12. mikld

mikld Active Member

Good job! Please, continue to double and triple check. Keeps you and your gun in one piece.
  13. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

Nice! .380 is a finicky round to reload in my experience. The cases are really thin and small. They tend to crumple easily in my Lee powder through expanding die with pro disk. I just have to take my time on that function and be careful.

As far as functionality, I found the min loads to be best for accuracy coupled with the Lee Factory Crimp to aid in reliable feeding.
  14. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

You will eventually get more confident but you want to be certain that does not turn into complacency. I make as many mistakes as anyone but very few, really none of any importance get by me when reloading as I am constantly checking my work. Example, look up a load in one manual, verify it in another.
  15. Texxut

Texxut Member

Never "trust" it's right, always "know" it's right, verify everything.

Remember, you are making little bombs that you are going to set off, very close to you face. :eek: