The Firearms Forum banner

I shot NRA smallbore prone yesterday

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Slomo 
#1 · (Edited)
Not as well as I would have liked, but hey I haven't practiced any either...

A few pic's from our event.

15 shooters attended and the match's were fallow by a bratwurst lunch with the fixin's.
Very good conditions, and not much wind. All shooting was done at 100yds..A very good time had by all.

Regards, Kirk

See less See more
#2 ·
excellent Pictures! as long as you had fun it wasnt a waste!!
good relaxation is getting hard to come by anymore.

#6 ·
Nice! If you are one of the two gentlemen in the second picture, I would like to offer a little advice:
To the guy in the camo pants: having the bottom of your foot vertical (as in the picture) will stress muscles and can change your natural point of aim. To maintain that position you are either using muscles in your shin to pull that foot, or planting your toe in the dirt and stretching your calf. either way, if any force is applied to that toe it will change your natural point of aim or cause a muscle twitch.

To the guy in the jeans:by pointing the toe on your left leg inward you are stretching muscles all along the outside of your leg. When this happens 99% of people tend to roll to relieve this stress, causing them to become slightly unstable. The best thing to do is to point that toe down.

#7 · (Edited)
Firelegs22,

Just for your information, the guy (toed "in") in the jeans is an NRA distiguished expert, and several time HP champion in his home state. He won this particular match quite handily. Very tough guy to out shoot, I know, I practice with him. He has had this same position for many years, and it apparently works very well for him. :)

You are of course correct if your working with a beginner who has not yet established their own prone position. But with the talent presant in the pictures I posted, you might be surprised at how many rank expert class. Yea, I shoot with a tough crowd....:cool: Not any beginners here....

Nope I am not in the pics, as I was behind the camera.

Thanks for your comments,
Kirk

#10 ·
Let's see,

There were 3 40X Remingtons's and a couple of 513T's in the metalic sight portion, as it is allowable to switch rifles rather than sights. 1 52D Winchester, and the rest were Anschutz match rifles of various models and ages, all were of the 54 type. The winning rifle was an Anschutz, although the shooter in question sometimes shoots a 40X as well.

We shoot on a scored target and group size is irrelavant, unless your group is in the X ring!. The standard NRA 100 yard small bore target is about 1.5" across the 10 ring and about 7/8" across the X ring. X count is used for tie breaking. Most if not all, of the rifles in this match would have no trouble holding the X ring for all shots at 100 yds. My rifle is capable with ammo it likes to get into the sub 3/4" groups, most around 1/2". Not bad for a 100 yards. Especially since we shoot 10 shots at each target. On a good day you can approach what the rifle is capable of. On a bad day you wish you could just pack it up and go home.....

Regards, Kirk

#11 ·
Let's see,

There were 3 40X Remingtons's and a couple of 513T's in the metalic sight portion, as it is allowable to switch rifles rather than sights. 1 52D Winchester, and the rest were Anschutz match rifles of various models and ages, all were of the 54 type. The winning rifle was an Anschutz, although the shooter in question sometimes shoots a 40X as well.

We shoot on a scored target and group size is irrelavant, unless your group is in the X ring!. The standard NRA 100 yard small bore target is about 1.5" across the 10 ring and about 7/8" across the X ring. X count is used for tie breaking. Most if not all, of the rifles in this match would have no trouble holding the X ring for all shots at 100 yds. My rifle is capable with ammo it likes to get into the sub 3/4" groups, most around 1/2". Not bad for a 100 yards. Especially since we shoot 10 shots at each target. On a good day you can approach what the rifle is capable of. On a bad day you wish you could just pack it up and go home.....

Regards, Kirk
Thanks Kirk,,sorry to keep picking your Brain but is there an ammo preference and would the same type carry over into pistol ??

#12 · (Edited)
Most at this particular match, and I would say lots of others, are shooting either Wolf match target, or SK rifle match ammo. I use both the wolf for the "any sight" scoped portion and the SK for the metalic sight. They both shoot to the same POI, but the SK leaves a much nicer hole for you to see in your spotting scope. It has a sharper front band that cuts the paper, better than the Wolf. Important as you obviously cann't see the hole through the sights. My 16X scope however doesn't really require a spotting scope, as I can easily see the holes through it.

All shots single loaded, repeaters? not a chance. Ruger 10/22's? never saw one ever. To hard to load, prone, and not many could make the grade any way. If folks ever shot a real target rifle, they would know why. I don't know why I threw that in.....:p;):D

Might have been a Eley tennex shooter in there too....

Regards, Kirk

#16 · (Edited)
I mean he put 76 shots inside the 1.5" ten point ring in the center of a circular target, out of 80 shots. The other 4 shots were almost in the ten ring, but were just out side, for a score of 796 out of 800 points possible. Damn good shooting....No rest, just a shooting coat and cuff sling, and two sets of sights, peep and scope, each for half the match.........

#19 ·
I would like to get involved in some 22 RF shooting comps. I'm just not sure what classes would be a fit for my ability and equip (10/22). I have heard about some RF Tactical shoots that sound interesting to me and a 10/22 will work. Just can't seem to find any in my nic of the woods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.