I shot the 460 sw mag at the indoor range today...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by glocknut, Mar 17, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I shot the 460sw mag indoor today at the indoor range. Everyone in the gunshop came back to see just what in blue blazes i was shooting. The fireball and percussion were enormous. One of the gunshop employees came into the range to take a look. I offered to let him shoot a few. He shot one round and said he had had enough! :D:D:D:D:D:D What a puss.... :D:D:D:D;)

Oh and the compensator was blowing all the fired brass off the bench when i shot it. I had to pick up my 44 brass off the floor.... LOL

I did one 5 round cylinder worth of "near" rapid fire..... heh heh heh... People were standing outside the glass door looking into the range! snicker snicker

I got done shooting and came out and they were all talking about the fireball that thing makes. hehehehehe I love it!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

The funny thing was that i started out with the 460 and then shot the 44mag for a bit and it seemed tame. Then when i was done with that i started in on the 357....BUT they only had 38specials so i was stuck with using those. The first shot there was no recoil and it sounded funny so i popped open the cylinder and checked the barrel because i thought for sure it was a dud round and there was a bullet stuck in the barrel? Nope, it wasn't.... it was just SO LAME that it almost bored me to death going thru those 2 boxes of 38s. Just didn't have the same entertainment factor.... :(

mike
    gn
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Got a target?
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yes but my accuracy was not worth bragging about today. My blood sugar must have been off because i was having eye clarity issues....

mike
    gn
  4. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

What make model of .460 do you have? I was looking at the S&W four inch.
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need to do that in reverse order next time!
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

x
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I think the measurement is 6 1/2" barrel? I know its not 4" thats for sure. I thought about the 4" .500sw mag but i think that might just be a little bit too short? My 460 with the "6 something" barrel is just about right. Its not so heavy that it causes any weight issues. I'm not a fan of long barrel revolvers because the barrels are so long and heavy that its harder to hold it on target properly. The 6" is just fine though.

There is a youtube video about the 4" barrel version. Take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjmtUFrFBc4

On second though..... GET THE 4" BARREL VERSION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go squirrel hunting with that son of a gun!!!!

mike
    gn
  8. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

ya know, there IS a 2 inch 500 mag that is NOT ported. I wouldn't like to be the guy to try out a 700 grain bullet on that sonuvagun.
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Either that or skip the 38specials.... :rolleyes:
    Even the 9mm has more kick than those plinking 38s! Sheesh.

mike
    gn
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I-think-i-will-pass on the 2" UNported 500sw mag..... :eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  11. Haligan

Haligan Active Member

I have a Ruger super redhawk in 454 Casul. The 460 SW Mag is just a bigger version of that cartridge. :eek:
    Why would anyone want to beat themselves up with bigger then the 454.(shaking head):)

Don't get me wrong I ain't sayin' you can't have it or shouldn't have it or anything like that I'm just sayin'(shaking head again):)
    Your a better man than I am Gungadin !:cool:
  12. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

I have the 460 in the 2" not ported. It is painful to shoot,. but with te 2" barrel you certainly put on a light show with the flash. As for accuracy I will never shoot it enough to know. It is designed for point blank range to keep a bear off you. For me to shoot a bear with that gun I would have had to decide I could not run from him or woup him. It is a last resort defense pistol. Just so you not thionk me a wimp, i weigh over 300 lbs andshoot my 454 casul one handed.
  13. JLA

JLA Moderator

Holy smokes i saw this and thot Mikey mike was back.. :( I miss the H1N1
  14. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I have a 5 inch and a 10 inch S&W 460s and luv them. Long range pistol with 200 grain bullets.
  15. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Blood sugar, my Ass! You're eyeballs were vibrating from the concussion!
  16. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

7-8 years back, this guy from Tennessee showed up in our community around the 4th July. He was floating the Yukon in this homemade flatboat/houseboat. He had this 10 inch S&W 460 he had just got before coming to Alaska and I was watching him hit a 12 inch plate on chains at 400 yards, every other shot; amazed me actually. We have this 4th July shooting contest at target set up on an island in the middle of the Yukon and it's great to see outsiders get involved.

Anyway, this guy ended up out my place the following day and we got to shooting off my back porch bench. His only problem was he was about outta ammo and didn't have many options for the remaining part of his trip down the Yukon. I ended up trading a 45/70 and an old beat up 22 with some ammo for that 460.

Compared to say a 44, the 460 has something going on, but not all that much different to me. I usually shoot 200 grain hornadys and they reach out and are flyin. They'll punch quarter size holes through 3/8 steel plate, the 395 corbons are much slower and only put nickel holes in the steel. 44 mags, barely scratch it, no joke. 480's dent it in about 1/8 inch but don't go through. The thing about the 460 is it's really a 200 yard pistol. I leave mine on the dash of the old one ton and it's my hang out the window at close shots right off the road gun; when I don't have the time to get outta the truck. I've shot bear, wolves, and caribou with it just with open sights and she knocks them right down.

I bought a 5 inch model for my belt, that's how much I prefer the 460 over the 44. You all have seen my pistol pict, but only one I have with my 460's. I need to get a scope, but wonder if a leupold can handle that 460; at least I can send a leu back I guess.

[​IMG]
  17. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Nice lookin set of guns. I have some .44's and the .454. I like it and know it will get the job done. Haven't shot a .460 yet.
  18. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I think that's the cartridge that kills by means of the electro-magnetic pulse it generates, isn't it?
  19. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

Could someone explain the idea behind a 2-inch 460 Magnum to me?

Thanks in advance.
  20. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Can't figure the no luv for the 460 ha ha. I like having that 5 inch 460 on my belt when I'm out and about and I can hit a bear at 50 yards every time too; I have with that gun, even hangin out the trk window.

You all look at that pipe again, you see those barely noticeable scratches, that's from my 44 redhawk with the same hornady ammo. Now look at the big holes, from my 460, 200 grain hornadys. No offense but I see both grizz & blk bear all the time where I call home. The 460 reaches out too, I can hit caribou at 200 yards and the only pistol caliber that knocks them off their feet like my 30-378 does. We have 44's too, but always take the 460 when I'm up in the blueberries. It gives me confidence that I'll have a chance if that one outta a hundred bear decides he wants a piece of me.

Joking aside, you all should shoot one at targets before deciding, I think most will be impressed. Only drawback is you got to always check screws on the 460; maybe once a year.

I wouldn't buy a 2 inch model either though. I have a 44 that's pretty short.