I shot the 460 sw mag at the indoor range today...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by glocknut, Mar 17, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I shot the 460sw mag indoor today at the indoor range. Everyone in the gunshop came back to see just what in blue blazes i was shooting. The fireball and percussion were enormous. One of the gunshop employees came into the range to take a look. I offered to let him shoot a few. He shot one round and said he had had enough! :D:D:D:D:D:D What a puss.... :D:D:D:D;)

Oh and the compensator was blowing all the fired brass off the bench when i shot it. I had to pick up my 44 brass off the floor.... LOL

I did one 5 round cylinder worth of "near" rapid fire..... heh heh heh... People were standing outside the glass door looking into the range! snicker snicker

I got done shooting and came out and they were all talking about the fireball that thing makes. hehehehehe I love it!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

The funny thing was that i started out with the 460 and then shot the 44mag for a bit and it seemed tame. Then when i was done with that i started in on the 357....BUT they only had 38specials so i was stuck with using those. The first shot there was no recoil and it sounded funny so i popped open the cylinder and checked the barrel because i thought for sure it was a dud round and there was a bullet stuck in the barrel? Nope, it wasn't.... it was just SO LAME that it almost bored me to death going thru those 2 boxes of 38s. Just didn't have the same entertainment factor.... :(

mike
    gn

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Akron, Ohio

3. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Yes but my accuracy was not worth bragging about today. My blood sugar must have been off because i was having eye clarity issues....

mike
    gn

4. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    What make model of .460 do you have? I was looking at the S&W four inch.

5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Indiana
    Sounds like you need to do that in reverse order next time!

6. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

x

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  7. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I think the measurement is 6 1/2" barrel? I know its not 4" thats for sure. I thought about the 4" .500sw mag but i think that might just be a little bit too short? My 460 with the "6 something" barrel is just about right. Its not so heavy that it causes any weight issues. I'm not a fan of long barrel revolvers because the barrels are so long and heavy that its harder to hold it on target properly. The 6" is just fine though.

There is a youtube video about the 4" barrel version. Take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjmtUFrFBc4

On second though..... GET THE 4" BARREL VERSION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go squirrel hunting with that son of a gun!!!!

mike
    gn

8. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    ya know, there IS a 2 inch 500 mag that is NOT ported. I wouldn't like to be the guy to try out a 700 grain bullet on that sonuvagun.

9. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Either that or skip the 38specials.... :rolleyes:
    Even the 9mm has more kick than those plinking 38s! Sheesh.

mike
    gn

10. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I-think-i-will-pass on the 2" UNported 500sw mag..... :eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D

mike
    gn

11. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2008
    FEMA Region II
    I have a Ruger super redhawk in 454 Casul. The 460 SW Mag is just a bigger version of that cartridge. :eek:
    Why would anyone want to beat themselves up with bigger then the 454.(shaking head):)

Don't get me wrong I ain't sayin' you can't have it or shouldn't have it or anything like that I'm just sayin'(shaking head again):)
    Your a better man than I am Gungadin !:cool:

12. gcalloway

gcalloway Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Atlanta
    I have the 460 in the 2" not ported. It is painful to shoot,. but with te 2" barrel you certainly put on a light show with the flash. As for accuracy I will never shoot it enough to know. It is designed for point blank range to keep a bear off you. For me to shoot a bear with that gun I would have had to decide I could not run from him or woup him. It is a last resort defense pistol. Just so you not thionk me a wimp, i weigh over 300 lbs andshoot my 454 casul one handed.

13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    Holy smokes i saw this and thot Mikey mike was back.. :( I miss the H1N1

14. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Upper Yukon, Alaska
    I have a 5 inch and a 10 inch S&W 460s and luv them. Long range pistol with 200 grain bullets.

15. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Oklahoma, USA
    Blood sugar, my Ass! You're eyeballs were vibrating from the concussion!