I shot The Savage Model 19 Today, Targets

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by dksac2, Feb 11, 2011.

1. dksac2

dksac2 New Member

Well I went out and shot today. It was in the 20's and it was so cold, the cartridges had to be pried out of the chamber, it was a real pain. It warmed up into the 30's and the gun started extracting.
    The shooting bench had snow higher than the seat, so I had to clear the snow off and was shooting with my legs srreight out under the table. Add about a 15 mph cross wind and it was a really lousy day to shoot, but no way was I not going to shoot this gun.

For all the cold, snow and wind, it did pretty good.
    After shooting I took it into the shop and lapped the bore with at least 10 more patches with JB Bore Shine on them, the patches came out black, I still have not got to good steel, there's still fouling in the bore.
    I spent 2 hours last night cleaning the bore with regular JB and JB Bore Shine, it was pretty badly fouled.

One neat thing about the bolt in this gun is that it has 2 firing pins, one at the top of the cartridge, one at the bottom. Wish they would still make them like that, it's bound to help the accuracy.

Anyway, I sitting here posting with a wet butt from sitting in the snow, here's the pics.
    I was more than pleased and think there is still better accuracy to be had. I was shooting Wolf MT. All shots were 5 shot groups @ 50 yards.

John K
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good shootin' dksac2 for any kind of weather.You truly are a more dedicated shooter than I.(or crazy)Theres no way I would have gone shooting in that weather.My hats off to you sir! Joe
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i concur, good shooting. especially for the weather conditions

would love to see pics of the gun
  4. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Impressive!:D
  5. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Sounds like your chamber is dirty as well. Living in Idaho shooting at minus 0 would be common. Here at 8,000' in Wyoming our temps are well below zero much of the winter. I never have a problem with cases sticking as long as the chamber is clean. Mixing anti-freeze with light oil takes care of most autoloaders at subzero.

RC
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that rilfe holding groups, great shooting!
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Beautiful groups !
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I want to see the groups you make when it warms up. ;)

Nice shooting for such weather.
  9. dksac2

dksac2 New Member

The chamber actually looks pretty good. At first I thought it may have a burr in the camber from being dry fired, but the chamber is perfect.

It's the ammo. I was shooting Wolf MT, it has a lot of lube on it that does not do well when it gets really cold.
    Before it wamed up, I shot some Auto Match that extracted and ejected just fine.

It's just the lube on the Wolf Match that causes problems in the cold. Once it went from the low 20's to low 30's, the Wolf extracted just about every time.

I can't wait to see how it shoots when the temps are in the 70's. Have about 3 more months to wait for that. We have long winters here.

My Best, John K
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011