I think I'm gonna get a Ruger 10/22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

Because I found one of these.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I saw that stock in the Shooter's Choice, too. Thought it looked pretty cool. But I already have mine in a Synthetic Sniper stock. so... oh well:)

Attached Files:

4. juan916

juan916 New Member

Get it, i just did, now my other 22 just sits in storage
  5. skeeter1

skeeter1 New Member

Nobody ever did wrong getting a 10/22, although I'd rather have a Marlin 60, but that's just me. Lots of people have done wrong buying some piece of mil-surp thinking they were getting a bargain. Don't do that.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

If you are after a really accurate 22 semi-auto rifle then either get the top of the line 10/22 target model or rebuild a used one with Volquartsen parts and pieces.

My 10/22 is of the latter type built by me and shoots 1/2 inch groups all day. That's the average of at least five groups of five shots each over the bench at targets at 50 yds. It is virtually a bolt together exercise and takes minimal real gunsmithing ability. The Ruger top of the line target model will shoot as well (a friend has one and we compared) but will need the trigger stuff changed at a minimum to get a reasonable trigger.

LDBennett
  7. Tom

Tom Member

The MG-42 clone looks like fun. Just remember, 10/22s are like potato chips: you can’t stop with just 1.
  8. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

Hate to say this but if the "T" model is shooting as well as a Volquartsen parted one, either the "T" one is verry good or the Vol one has issues. Mess around with ammo and you should be able to get some good 1/2 - 3/4" groups out to 100yrds with that built one and single hole groups at 50 yrds.
    Also gotta say that while Vol is better known than most aftermarket brands for the 10/22 there are many many others with parts as good and better. Like anything you get what you pay for usually.
    For the new 10/22 owner...just go to Rimfire Central and read, search , read.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

BlkHawk73:

In shooting there are many varibles and the gun alone is only one. My friend is a much better shot than I, having won many silohuette matches over the years in air gun and 22. It may be that he could make my Volquartsenized 10/22 out shoot his Ruger Tatget model. I just don't know.

I can tell you that when I shoot my guns it is a direct comparison. I compare them at 50 yds since wind is always present in the Desert where I shoot and the shorter the time to the target the bettter the group will be. My Silhouette Anschutz (64 action) outshoots my Volquartsenized 10/22. My CZ varmint in 17HM2 matches the 10/22.

Your experince may be different becasue of all those varibles in shooting. Also I won't buy the really expensive 22LR ammo. My cost limit on 22LR ammo is Wolf Match Target and others in that price range. That may explain my limited (??) accuracy. I'm happy with 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds!

LDBennett
  10. ruger22com

ruger22com New Member

Don't get sucked in by the merchants who want to sell you everything under the sun. sure, you can build a monster for $2,000....but if you are plinking, all you need to improve the rifle is a hammer and buffer.

See http://Ruger22.com for photo help in tearing down with photos...not just illustrations...and if you need any parts see http://cheapgunparts.com
    over 150 ruger 10/22 parts in stock.
  11. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Can I ask a stupoid question?

Why is the 10/22 considered such a good rifle/good buy if it's assumed you have to buy even just a new "trigger and buffer" just to make it shoot?

I mean, we all BITCHED at Colt back in the 70s and 80s that we had to spend (then) $350 or $400 for a new Series 70 1911A1 and THEN send it off to a 'smith and spend another $200 to $2000 to make it into an IPSC gun, heck, even for DEFENSE you had to AT LEAST throat it, fit a solid bushing and give it a trigger job and new sights!

Why do guys just ACCEPT the fact you have to work on it to get it to work and still advise others to buy it?

Now I USED to have a stock 10/22, and yes I liked it, BUT except for the accessories available for it, I'm not sure if apples to apples a Marlin Model 60 or a Glenfield 75 WASN'T the better value...heck, you ALWAYS knew they'd shoot, enough to hunt squirrels and rabbits out to 50 yds, anyway, out of the BOX....

I DON'T have the Ruger anymore, but my SQUIRREL gun is a Glenfield 75C carbine, lighter, and even more handy, and can shoot less than an inch at 50 with Remington Golden HPs, with NO modifications ever...

Explain to me one more time why I need to get rid of it and get a 10/22?;)
  12. Sorry Polish, there are no Mosin-Nagant .22s. :D;) Mauser has been known to produce them, however.
  13. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

Skeeter: I'm with you on the Marlin vs Ruger .22 semis. I have had both and like the Marlin a lot better.

Problem is that there are many after market kits, stocks, etc. for Ruger 10/22 than Marlin. I don't know why as I would believe Marlins 60 is just as popular as Rugers or am I all wet?
  14. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I don't like having to work on my guns, I like for them to work great out of the box. Why do you think I buy Glocks :D
  15. An excellent point, Southern! ;)