I took the plunge!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Pistolenschutze, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Well, I used my CRFFL for the first time today! :D I ordered two rifles from AIM, a Mosin-Nagant M44 and a Swiss K31, along with a Mauser M48 from Mitchells. I plan to work on three separate projects with these rifles over the next several months by replacing stocks, adding scopes and mounts, and perhaps other modifications such as triggers to make them better shooters. In most cases I hope to do my modifications in such a way that the rifles can be turned back to their original military condition without too much trouble. Wish me luck, guys!
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Good luck, PS! Be sure to post progress reports and pics.
  3. The first rifle I plan to build will be the Mauser. Rest assured, I will post before and after pictures of the project.

Hmmmm, I just had a thought: When I rebuild that Mosin-Nagant M44, will I turn into a Polishshooter instead of a Pistolshooter? Now there is a scary though! :eek: :D
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Not sure we could handle two of those! :eek: :D :D

(just kidding, polish! :) )
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Let me know how they fire. I am looking into starting a Mosin Nagant project.
  6. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

From everything I've been told, the trigger on the K31 is the best military trigger out there. From my experience shooting it, it has to be one of the smoothest triggers I've used, military or not.

Look for the St. Marie Graphics/Swiss Products (same company) line from Brownells, Midway and Graf & Sons. They have clamp on diopters, scope mounts, barrel dampers, muzzle brakes/dampers and are even working on a no-drill bipod for the K31.

Graf's has the brass for reloading without having to purchase the expensive Norma brass. Favorite bullet amongst a good number of reloaders seems to be the 175gr. Sierra MatchKing HPBT. Not the best for hunting, but a very accurate bullet that mimics the ballistics of the service-issue 174gr. GP11. Sierra lists an accuracy load of 45.8 grains of IMR-4350 behind the 175gr. SMK.

Also check out the SRDC forums (http://pub18.ezboard.com/btheswissriflesdotcommessageboard) for Pierre's advice on "tuning" a K31 for accuracy.
  7. Thanks for all that info, John. I suspect it will prove extremely useful when I begin work on the K31. Everything I've heard about these rifles conforms to what you've said; they appear to be of very excellent workmanship. I will probably do very little to this rifle other than clean up the stock if needed, and touch up the blue on the metal parts if that seems appropriate. I also plan to attach a mount and scope since I mainly intend to shoot the rifle from the bench.

I ordered some very good quality military surplus ammo along with the rifle, two sleeves (120 rounds). That should be enough to get me started and get the rifle sighted in. Do you know if RCBS makes dies for the 7.5X55?
  8. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Yes, they do. If you buy the RCBS dies, make sure you get the K31 dies, not the G11 dies. There's a slight difference between the chambers.

I bought the Redding dies from Bruno Shooters Supply (http://www.brunoshooters.com) and got a very good price, much lower than the LGS was going to sell them to me for.

Don't neck-size, even though you're only going to be shooting them in one gun. Full-length size is the recommendation.

The GP11 (MATCH-GRADE SURPLUS AMMO!!!!!!!) ammo you bought is Berdan-primed. You can reload it, but do you want to? [grin]
  9. Not hardly, John! I think I'll stick to boxer-primed casing for reloading, and leave the berdan-primed ones for more adventurous and, shall we say, parsimonious types . . . Polishshooter for example. :D ;) :rolleyes:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2006
  10. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

HEY! I'm getting quoted when I didn't say it! I'm starting to know what Rush feels like sometimes... :cool:

I just hope you have better luck than I do, so far STAY AWAY from the "scout mounts..." I have another report.

I need to pick up a Swiss before they disappear. What date M44 did you get, and what's the condition?
  11. I don't know yet, Polish. It won't arrive until the end of next week according to Wanda at AIM, which is where I bought both the Mosin and the Swiss. Supposedly, these are nice rifles if AIM's advertising is to be believed.
  12. polishshooter

Yeah, I've never been disappointed at AIM. But I usually "pick=up," so they USUALLY let me look at a few before I pick which one, which is how I got all my "correct" M38s. But now they charge you $10 if you look at more than 2...which sucks...

Although that is where I bought a BUNCH of 91/30s for 3/$99, and inspected EVERY one and must have looked at a more dozen to buy 6...I ended up with cosmoline ALL over their nice counter... :D

Maybe THAT's why they charge now! Oops. :cool:

I'm interested to see the date you get, I've heard MOST of them are "post-war" (Late 45-48) in this batch...

The M44 at least should be ready to shoot, after just a wipedown and checking the bore. DON'T be upset with the trigger pull on it, if it's initailly bad...when they rearsenaled these ones, at least the M38s, they put in a new stiff bolt spring and then sometimes took a FILE and squared off the bolt lug to "make it safe." Once you get it and see how simple it is, you won't have any trouble taking some emery paper or a stone to it to get rid of all the burrs. Out of the box, it MIGHT be decent, but PROBABLY will feel like a gate latch...a STRONG gate latch! :)

The not so pretty "G-VG" ones they used to have actually have some nice "worn in" triggers, my regular Polish M44 is SWEET, and I haven't touched it.
  13. I might be rubbing salt in a wound (which is NOT my intent!), but how and with what would you recommend scoping the M44, Polish, based on your recent experience? Several companies make mounts for the M44 now (e.g., B-Square), but I don't want to end up with the same kind of problem you experienced if I can avoid it. Getting a stock for the MN does not seem to be a problem. Several companies make synthetic stocks for that rifle, so I'll probably buy one of those.

By the way, OOPS on that misquote earlier, Polish. I was thinking "JohnK3" and writing "Polishshooter," probably because I was figuring out how to rib you about Berdan primed ammo. :p Brain fart. :D My humble apologies.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2006
  14. polishshooter

I would stay away from the B-square, it's a clone of mine (or the other way around) and it's just a bad design.

If I had it to do over again I would try the one the guy finally settled on in the article on the Scout I posted when I was trying to make up my mind.

A "Scout" setup is about the ONLY way you can do it and have it "remain convertible back to stock" but the Nc Star or B-square mount will just NOT work as is.

The best way to scope it I feel, (from what I've heard and read, and the way I plan on doing the Polish, I'll let you know how it works) is with the ATI conventional mount. BUT that will mean if you remove it, you will have two drilled and tapped holes in the receiver hood...plus you will have to get a bent bolt body...if you want to be able to convert the bolt back to a straight handle.

While ATI makes a "kit" (comes free with the mount) where you can convert a Mosin or Mauser straight bolt by cutting off the handle and screwing on a bent handle, I've never liked the looks, hated to "bugger up" a good bolt body, and I don't care WHAT anybody says, that one screw just HAS to come loose some day!

I'll go find the websites and post them here for the bent bolt guy and the scout mount that's supposed to work.
  15. polishshooter