I walked 500 miles to go to church once....

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by mla6021, Nov 30, 2016.

1. mla6021

mla6021 Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Louisiana
    Not that long ago I walked a spiritual, religious pilgrimage from southern France to western Spain. The Camino de Santiago. Total of about 500 miles and took me about a month. Knelt in prayer in the church in St Jean Pied de Port, France and asked God to protect me and keep me safe and healthy during my journey. Humbly knelt again in church 34 days later in Santiago, Spain and thanked God for getting me there, healthy and safe.
    No real reason for starting this thread. Just wanted to share the experience which was life changing for me.
    144.JPG

flintlock, 76Highboy, Broot and 4 others like this.
  2. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Plenty of time to listen to the Lord while walking. In the busy lives we lead, we tend to be out front chasing action items while multi tasking. Setting up personal quiet time w/ the Lord is important. Thanks for sharing your post of how you did it.

3. mla6021

mla6021 Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Louisiana
    Yes, I did a lot of introspective thinking those 30+ days and a lot of spiritual and religious communication to the Lord. Letting God know I was his humble servant. Asking for forgiveness and if it was his will, asking for direction.
    I say without shame when I walked into the plaza that last day and gazed at the cathedral, the goal of my journey, there were tears in this old former Marine and LEO's eyes. I dropped my pack, sat on the edge of the plaza and just gazed at the cathedral for about an hour on that beautiful, blue skies, late afternoon in August.

76Highboy, Broot, BlackEagle and 2 others like this.
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    UK
    That's quite a hike. You would have gone through some nice looking country.

Walking is a great time to commune with God. God and I have had some good talks while I was out hiking. Just Him and me and the trail ahead.

He talks with us through His Word, and that's part of how He communicates His will for our lives.

Thanks for your service.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    76Highboy, mla6021 and Broot like this.
  5. mla6021

mla6021 Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Louisiana
    Yes, some very beautiful countryside. Starting the first day walking over the Pyrenees into Spain and then quite the mix of terrain the rest of the way. Hills, mountains and a lot of gentle rolling hills and fields. Woods and vineyards, too.
    Deer and wild hog in the hills and saw a lot of hawks and eagles.
    The Spanish love their food and are beautiful people.
    You are right. No better way to communicate with Him than walking in solitude. Whether it's a backpack, a short hike or with a gun.

BlackEagle and 76Highboy like this.
  6. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    That is quite the stroll. I can certainly see how it would draw one closer to the Lord. In fact for me to walk 500 miles would require nothing less than Divine Intervention. I'm sure the memories will be a treasure your entire life.