1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

I Want To Build A Gunroom ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

tuckerd1
    (12/14/01 8:58:57 am)
    | Edit | Del All I Want To Build A Gunroom
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When i build my new house this spring, I want to build a gunroom with a vault door in my basement. How would ya'll do it? What would you put in it beside guns? All your ideas are welcome.

Blackgun, I already thought about Hoochie MaMas!!
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

the real fredneck
    (12/14/01 10:25:45 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: I Want To Build A Gunroom
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tuck
    you might want to look in the Feb 2001 issue of Guns & Ammo it has a good article on turning a closet into a gun vault complete with combination lock door the company that makes the door is American Security Products Co., 11926 Pacific Ave., Fontana, CA 92337 (909)685-9680, hope this helps

Smoky14
    (12/14/01 11:00:39 am)
    Just remember that a great door does no good if the ceiling is the easy way in. I'd opt for no windows as they are so easily penetrated, even when bars are in place.

I equipped mine as a safe room and hid the entrance behind some decoration, camo ya know. It also serves as my loading room and get away from it all room. A small fridge is great also.

Just have a good time building it. Better to get it right now before the construction makes it impossible to reinforce the ceiling. Good luck.

ElmersFudd
    (12/14/01 11:03:58 am)
    Tuc

Make sure it is climate controlled, especially the humidity ....all the work will be for naught if sometime in the future you open an action or gun case with rust and mold on them. You could run the furnace/hvac duct directly into the room for this. Get some desiccant bags too....I'm not sure where...check the yellow pages or even the web.

Don't forget the floor drain in this room for the unimaginable...and the intercom for when the boys lock the girls in there while you and the wife are at the movies....make sure you screen the floor drain...the girls might get scared if they are in there with a snake or other critter. Don't forget water *can* come in a floor drain, as well as go out, make provisions for the worst case.

Don't put anything on the floor except your feet, unless you have a false floor on top of the concrete.

Insulate like you own Owens-Corning, including the outside walls if they are exposed to the elements/dirt/backfill. Use a humidistat to control the room conditions. If this is your dream house, spend a little now to make this room the ideal storage room for your arsenal.

If it were mine and I wanted everything secure, I would install a second safe inside the vault, one large enough for all my hand guns and *all* the ammo. Maybe even big enough for the one special long gun. Fastened to the floor, it wouldn't go any where and with the ammo locked in a safe the likelihood of an accident would be nearly zilch.

If you plan now, you will be able to make it fireproof. Like with a double reinforced concrete wall and ceiling.

I'm sure there are other things, and planning now will reduce the expense......good luck <><

Edited by: ElmersFudd at: 12/14/01 11:13:04 am

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/14/01 11:48:22 am)
    Hey Tuck, an exterior steel door & frame with bolts that are attached to the hinged side of the door (alighed in a way that when you close the door the bolts go into the hinged side of the door frame) your standard lock-set with additional dead-bolts (1 upper & 1 lower) makes for a great and secure door!

ZigZag2

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/14/01 11:52:07 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I Want To Build A Gunroom
    Just a thought.......since ya said "basement".....
    You should try to place a stairway with an opening to a closet above the basement and follow the instruction
    outlined in the Feb 2001 Guns&Ammo mag.
    Fold up stairwell with drop cord.
    Watch yer step. Good Luck!
    Charlie D
    Do it with enthusiasm!

gpostal
    (12/14/01 12:21:28 pm)
    tuck
    I have a friend that had one built into his basement 14X20 ,all concrete ceiling and all poured when he built the house ,first thing on the door ,you can buy it and have it built in, when the foundation is done a 800 # door can be purchased for a round a grand ,keep shipping distance in mind ,make sure the door can be opened from inside

as far as hooking up a HVAC system ,if it is completely enclosed I wouldn't do it ,your new house might have a humidifier hooked into it ,but regardless it will stay around a cool 70degrees if enclosed and below ground {no need to insulate} ,a humidifier can be hooked up to a drain ,keep the humidifier suspended so your drain don't have to be below the floor ,incase of flooding

he had his cedar lined , walls 10 inches think ,you can build small ventilation in/out into the house{again high on the ceiling and small with very small vent fan} but I wouldn't pipe in from the HVAC

now a story about his safe

my friend was hunting one day and noticed smoke from the direction of the house ,by the time he made it back it was to late the house was under heavy flames ,it took the fire dept. almost a hour to get there, total loss 250,000.00 home,but the safe ,he managed to get in and save his collection ,then later the same night the fire started again just enough to spontaneous combust the inner lining of the safe ,the safe interior was rebuilt the door had to be replaced due to high heat that caused it to warp

hope this helps

SXSMAN
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/14/01 12:22:56 pm)
    Some great ideas there,I might add plastic and insulation on floor before it's poured,maybe a crapper,
    microwave and fridge for when your banished to "YOUR" doghouse.

gpostal
    (12/14/01 1:03:35 pm)
    a few more things to consider

remember the door will be the weakest part ,when having the foundation poured put in the conduit for electrical wires and vents ,you can also put in bolt in the foundation at this time for shelves so you don't have to drill later ,as far as the floor goes I wouldn't be to picky ,if you don't live on a water table humidity should be low , a to large of humidifier will run your electrical bills up by as much as 30.00 a month,if you add heat it will add condensation ,keep this in mind when choosing a interier and floor

my house has a spring house in the basement ,when the foundation was poured they made three rooms with concrete walls ,the spring runs under the house , and only about a foot is above ground ,humidity is a little high due to the spring house on one end ,but the other rooms are fine and remain 70 degrees no matter how high or low the temp is outside

ElmersFudd
    (12/14/01 1:05:25 pm)
    now this may get some laffs "Bank Safe Door Forsale"

www.geocities.com/Madison...uite/3438/

why not ? Even if this one is too far away and too expensive you might find one close and *reasonable*.

My current employer bought a drive-up bank building and it included the air powered
    driveup messenger thingys (I'm sure they have a name) and the safe door was removed.
    But, it had to go some where...these things might be forsale close by.

If you go for the crapper and 'fridg., don't forget to wire for cable or satellite...the phone
    should be optional.

tuckerd1
    (12/14/01 1:19:02 pm)
    So far we are thinking alike.
    1. CMU walls, steel reinforced poured with concrete.
    2. Concrete ceiling. Also serve as floor for backporch.
    3. Vault Door - Ziggy, I like your door idea, but if I can find a vault door for 1000 (?) It would be better. Exterior steel doors are expensive too.
    4. Double as reloading and computer room.
    5. Small refrigerator, full of Bob's Best. SXS, bathroom outside room.
    6. Humidifier w/ humidistat
    7. TV & recliner (for buddies). Telephone so your wives can find you. You gotta be pestered too!
    8. Hadn't thought about floor drain.
    9. Hadn't thought about cedar lined walls.
    10. Hadn't thought about intercom.
    11. Ceiling fan.
    12. Security system.
    13. Existing gunsafe in room also.
    14. Of course plenty of waterproofing outside walls and under floor. I'll have to check that ground temp in N. Alabama in August! Good idea though.

GP, Where do you get a vault door for 1000? Cheapest I've seen so far is 1900.

Ya'll keep em comin! Good Ideas!

BlackGun
    (12/14/01 1:19:07 pm)
    Errrrrrrrrrrrr! cases and cases of Bob's Best, I like the way ya'll think
    IT'S GOD'S RESPONSIBILITY TO FORGIVE BIN LADEN...
    IT'S OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ARRANGE THE MEETING!!!"
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 12/14/01 1:24:28 pm

tuckerd1
    (12/14/01 1:19:57 pm)
    Gotcha on the list Steve!!
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

gpostal
    (12/14/01 1:45:19 pm)
    tuck i will have to find it ,i had a link to a place that was around 1200. ,i will try to get a hold of my buddy this week end and see where he got his

most safe companies make doors also ,shipping will be very high ,how big is your safe now ?

i had a ideal of cutting the back out of one and recesing it in the wall to look like just a safe, open it and walk in

BlackGun
    (12/14/01 1:52:42 pm)
    This may have already been covered and I missed it, but, I can picture a safe/vault door or even a safe that has had the back cut out of it as a secure entrance to a secure/private gunroom. Has it been metioned it sure needs a handle/unlocking device, in the event someone were to accidently get locked in! Hey, it could happen!
    IT'S GOD'S RESPONSIBILITY TO FORGIVE BIN LADEN...
    IT'S OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ARRANGE THE MEETING!!!"
    BlackGUN

tuckerd1
    (12/14/01 1:56:18 pm)
    Especially after a couple of bottles of Bob's Best!!

tuckerd1
    (12/14/01 2:07:30 pm)
    ElmersFudd, I missed your post on used bank vault doors. It would be a hellava conversation piece!

gpostal
    (12/14/01 2:10:25 pm)
    you can always take out the inside plate and find the latch cut a hole where it is and put it back on

i have been locked in a walk in cooler ,the safety latch had been broken ,but of course i had a leathermans tool,and took care of the job ,i always thought if i get locked in the freezer i will have to put a round into the unit to shut it down ,if not you will only live about a hour ,{dangerous either way}

ElmersFudd
    (12/14/01 3:06:37 pm)
    Tuck
    wern't me, it was GP.

Check out: www.brownsafe.com/

they have *new* doors for $2k on up and this should reduce your insurance if you are buying extra coverage.

I'ld check with the mfg.'s looking for used vault doors. They will have them, Browns does now.

Don't forget if the ceiling is the backporch floor, to put in the periscope and that little port to shoot out of

Edited by: ElmersFudd at: 12/14/01 6:01:21 pm

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/14/01 6:16:48 pm)
    tucker,

You might give these guys a try...

www.deansafe.com/vaultdoors.html

They list an amsec 500 lb. door for ~$1700, a fort knox 1200 lb for more than that. Downside, they're located in CA (shipping). I have not bought from them, but have seen many good referrals. Their website might yield good technical info. Good luck!

tuckerd1
    (12/15/01 7:37:17 am)
    Thanks for all the replys guys! I'll let you know what my house plans include when I finish them.

Bob In St Louis
    (12/15/01 8:57:52 am)
    My basement has a small "L" shaped extention at one end. I put a dividing wall down the middle of the basement, and divided the back portion of the basement into my gun room, and a workshop. The majority of the gun room is within the "L" shaped area. I have a set of bookcases in front of the door, and one section slides out to access the door. Just looking at the basement when the bookcase is in place, you would never guess the room was back there. When you look in the workshop side, there are shelves on the wall with the common wall with the gunroom, and you can't tell the basement width difference. Inside the gunroom, I have a dehumidifier running, which is connected into a drain in the floor. I have some hooks on the walls for hanging rifles, and a bunch of stand up racks. I have an old flat map storage cabinet I use for handguns, and a homemade wooden trunk. There is also a loading bench with a Dillon press (now buried under junk) and several sets of shelves for ammo and accessories storage. Gone Postal, Polishshooter, Rob in Missouri and 9638 have seen this setup.

Also, think about a security/alarm system for your room.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

gpostal
    (12/15/01 9:01:31 am)
    bob doesn't have any guns though {lol]

TallTLynn
    (12/15/01 11:42:38 am)
    gpostal of course Bob doesn't have any handguns - I mean none of us own weapons right???

Oh wait I'm on the wrong board - this is a gun board!!!

Dang, I'm in trouble now.

218Bee
    (12/15/01 12:24:30 pm)
    TLynn,it happens to the best of us,sometimes i forget whether i`m on GunBroker,or the Vegan board.

(Spoken in a gentlemanly southern accent,surprisingly like Val Kilmer in his role as Doc Holliday)