I want to buy a complete reloading setup

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, May 29, 2012.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I resently went down to the coast to my brothers place and he showed me how to reload .45LC. We loaded 50 rounds. When I got back home I took them to the indoor range and tried them out, they were great. Now I want to buy me a complete Lee reloading set to load .45acp and .45lc.
    Can anyone help me find everything I need at a good price? New are used does not matter as long as it's everything I need to get started. And yes, I thought reloading was a lot of fun. My older brother has been reloading for about 50 years, he is good at it. Please help me out here if you can.

Deacon Man
    P.S. I am wanting a single stage setup, one at a time.
  2. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Deacon Man, you can get a good new Lee press, single stage, with everything you need for less than $100. I have a Lee Classic Cast press that I use just about every day. (Midway USA number 317-831). It is simple to use and easy to set up. Of course you can go with the Challenger Breech lock set (Midway USA number 121-744). Either way, it is easy to set up, fun to use and satisfying that you made the rounds yourself. (side note, I remember the first deer that I took using a reloaded round that I made myself and I do not know if I was more excited or if dad was).
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

yep.. lee starter packages with a C or O press, powder scale, hand primer, funnel and loading block and chamfer tool come , lube pad..as a kit. may evenetually need a case trimmer, even though you are doing straight walls..

rcbs has a nice couple of kits as well.

might want to check craigslist.. might find someone getting out of a single stage kit to get a progressive.. etc..
  4. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Another option for Lee is their Classic Turret Press. It can be operated as a single stage press to get you through the process of thoroughly understanding each phase of reloading, then use it as a turret to speed things up. A couple of the better package deals around are through Lee Factory Sales and Kempf Gun Shop, both at a little over $200. One comment though, I don't care for the Lee beam scale. You also need one or more good reloading manuals (I would start with Lyman's 49th).
  5. mikld

mikld Member

Since you liked your brother's set-up, can you get what he has? He obviously knows a bit about reloading (50 years worth) so his choice will prolly be a good one. Personally, I'm not fond of kits. Seems like there is always a lot of stuff included that I don't need/use. I started with a press and dies and a scale. I used a plastic ammo box insert for a loading block too. I soon bought Lee's dipper set (but continued to use the scale). Plus, there's a lot of tools around the house you can use for reloading ( teaspoon for powder dribbling, counter sink for champhering case mouths and removing primer crimps, short punch for flaring case mouths, and I've used needle nosed pliers to flare some .44 cases, an ice pick to deprime brass, etc.). As I needed/wanted a tool, I bought it and got what I wanted, not what a salesman thought I needed...
  6. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the world of reloading. It's an addictive, peaceful activity, yet poses its own challenges. It's great to squeeze the triger, hear the bang, see the hole in the target and think "I made that". You'll load more, and shoot more, and you have better control over your inventory than if you were buying factory ammo from the store.

Have you checked the sticky's at the top of this forum? Jack404 has posted an entire library of reloading info, and there are some stickys on what books to get, and plusses and minuses of various presses.

As you get started, read lots and ask all the questions you can think of. It's better to ask than to not ask and have something bad happen. Think in terms of "the only dumb question is the one not asked".

Have fun.
  7. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I bought the Lee anniversarry kit and it came with everything except the dies and I only paid 120.00.I love it it works great.
  8. pic1083

pic1083 New Member

9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Deacon man , theres two more lee 50th anniversary kits coming up on the give aways

one next month and one the month after ( sorry for the bust on surprise )

Welcome Pic1083 ! and i gotta agree FM are great folks , a mom and pop type store that has pretty much everything in stock , i'm in Australia and deal with the gent ..
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And youre not far Deacon Man. If you get a chance swing in my way and we can roll a few til you get a good handle on the process. Single stage is all I do.
  11. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice.
  12. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I pass through Weatherford 4-5 times a month and am just down the road from you also. Keep your eye out for deals online and at the flea markets and gunshows. Deals are getting few and far between at the gunshows, but still beats sittin at home.
  13. soundguy

i agree. a while back I thought about getting a relaoding kit at a show. i looked for 3-4 months of hitting shows 2-3 times a month. never say a SINGLE press at a show. saw plety of dies and brass. etc.. some projectiles.. plenty of powder and primers and shell holders.. trays, boxes and powder scales and throwers.. just no presses.. :)

however.. do keep an eye on classifieds and ebay. and craigslist.

1 week after I plunked down $$ for my relaod press, i see a guy 30minutes from me selling a ballance beam scale, press, shell holder, FL die set .308win, hand primer tool, case lube equimbent, funnel, and a bag of 350 some new and some 1/fired 308 brass, powder can and box of primers all for 150$ was lee.. and I'm sure single stage.. perhaps a classic C or O press.. but still.. with all the extra's.. it was way better than base price, withthem dies and brass..e tc.. I almost jumped on it as a 2nd press, just to have the stuff...
  14. Munch

Munch Member

I also bought the Lee Anniversary Kit. I have no complaints about the press, has been a pleasure to load with. The powder throw is simple to use and is fairly consistent, with fine powders it sometimes gets a hiccup. The scale included in the kit is another story. You would have better luck with the bathroom scale, it was worthless.

I also see some really good deals on craigslist for my area, great spot to grab a deal as others have said.

Hope you enjoy the time at your reloading bench as I do. After a tough day I look forward to that more than anything.
  15. soundguy

i like the rcbs 505 scale...
  16. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Guys, My older brother called me this morning, He has mailed me the entire Lee setup. Every thing I need to reload and make my own bullets. He found all of this from a friend for $100.00. WOW, He is really happy I want to get into reloading. Now I just need to buy Powder,primers,lube and lead. He recommends I use Reddot powder do you agree?
  17. soundguy

100$.. WHAT A SWINGING DEAL!
  18. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    Deacon Man, sounds like you got it taken care of . . . for $100 . . . . great price!

I thought of this thread when I saw this from Midsouth Shooters Supply. Here is a link that explains primary (and most secondary) components that will give you a good idea of what is involved. You may see something that is missing.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/reloading.asp

Make sure you get a reloading manual (or two) to read before you get started. Good luck.
  19. nynomad

nynomad New Member

20. soundguy

sure is... !