I want to Reload

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JohnnyRobotic, Feb 16, 2004.

1. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

I know that reloading is incredibly complex if you want to make it that way, but i have no idea where to even start. A guy at my club reloads and said he would teach me the ways . . .

Even though it would probably not be for a little while. The gun shop i go to is ditching RCBS reloading equipment at 50% off to make more shelf space for more ammo and new models and i wanted to pick up what i need while the gettin is good. Does anyone have a reloading for dummies list of things i would need, mainly looking to make .45, 9mm, 7.62, and .357 and maybe .38

i really wanna just get the basic equipment that i would need and then have the guy teach me about it once he has the time

also my brother got me 55 lbs of lead bricks from a junked out racecar in his friends junkyard . . .so now i HAVE to reload :D
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

3. ACC

ACC New Member

RCBS is a good choice at 50% off, is it a progressive? or single stage? get an electronic scale,beam scales are ok,but you have to get them level just right in order to measure correctly. the electronic is pricy,but you will get more consistancy in your loads.
    If you are going to load for rifle,ask if the press will except rifle calibers,not all of them do.get a good reloading book,it will give you all the basics,I use the speer manual,they are about 2% in the loading charges. what I mean by that is,because of liability most of the manuals down load figures as much as 4-5%,speer is the only ones that are close to their loading figures.DO NOT LOAD LEAD,OR MAKE YOUR OWN LEAD BULLETS,take it from me,when I first started all i did was lead,and after 1year I got a pretty good case of lead poisioning,my lead count was 46,pretty nasty.There are some good plated bullets that you can use,a little more$ but worth it.Hope this helps you out, if you need ANTHING else give me a shout via pm
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh God.....

I did'nt even realize we had a reloading forum here at TFF!??

Just shows you how unobservant (sp)? I am...... :mad:

mike
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

GO FOR IT! You will save so much money reloading, you will shoot twice as much to make up for it. Sounds like win-win to me. :D

I agree with the electronic scales, if you are weighing each charge, as I do for rifle and target loads. If you are pumping out pistol rounds or plinking rounds, use the powder thrower and weight every tenth round. Then a beam scale works fine. Just remember to use the shadow of the beam on the reflector plate as your indicator and you don't have to squint so much.

Pops
  7. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

JohnyRobotic,

Welcome to the wonderful and addictive world of reloading.
    There's many here that know much more about reloading than I...(I'm still a rookie).....but don't let some of these guys overwelm you with equipment needs. I started off pretty basic, and I've successfully reloaded several hundred .38's, and .357 mag's.

I use all Lee equipment, and I'm using a single stage press, powder measure, and beam scale. Buy a couple of books like "The ABC's of Reloading", and it'll teach you most everything you'll need to know.

RCBS equipment is very good stuff, and their Rock Chucker press gets rave reviews. Get a press, dies for every caliber you want to reload, a priming tool, a beam scale works fine, a powder measure, some reloading trays, and if they have good prices on tumblers, get one of those too.

Casting your own bullets is another hobby all it's own. You'll need a lead melting pot, bullet molds for every caliber you want to cast, a bullet sizer/luber, a ladle......it takes an investment, but it's a lot of fun, and you'll make it all back in the savings from buying factory ammo....
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

OMG, 55lbs of free lead, what a dream...

Well, I feel like a broken record here, but it has to be said, I would read your reloading manual cover to cover 2 or 3 times before your friend comes over to help you...That way you already have a good idea of whats going on, with that said, having an old pro to give you some hands on help is priceless, I'm a little thick headed in the learning dept, so I probabally wouldn't even be reloading today if it wern't for the "old pros" who helped me get started.

It's fun as heck once you get underway...Tonight I sat and rolled up 8 'sets' of test bullets for the .45 with 7 rounds per set, experimenting with 4 different powder types and 4 bullet types tring for that 'one hole group' load that my Commander is patiently waiting for me to feed her.

Most people dont go through the trouble I do, preparing each round with perfection, I think I enjoy the precise methods of reloading as much as I enjoy shooting.

Whether you get 'into' rolling meticulously precise loads or punching out 500 rounds an hour on a progressive, one thing for sure, you will he hooked.

So, ya better just warn tha' wife now. :D

~Crp