I Was So Happy About My CMP Garand

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by gandog56, Jun 19, 2012.

1. gandog56

gandog56 Member

That I ordered a second one from them. This time an H&R and one grade better. CMP just called me because they could not read my writing and of the CC number, and I corrected it. She said should ship within a couple days!
  2. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie New Member

How long did it take for you to get qualified to buy from cmp. Are you a member or just a vet?
  3. gandog56

gandog56 Member

took me no time at all. I was a vet, but that had nothing to do with it. I had a C&R Curio And Relics license, and that was half the qualification right there. I joined The Illinois State Rifle association for the first one for the second part. And when I moved down to Alabama I joined a shooting range that was CMP affiliated.
  4. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Here's Johnny:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i did not not see a picture of the 1st one
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Give him hell, Beth. :D
  7. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie New Member

Is being a vet or retired ok instead of being a member of a orig?
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I'm not a Vet, and to my understanding you don't need to be.

Just sign up for the class at a certified range, shoot for 3 weekends, and BAM! :D Fill out the paperwork.

Don't matter how crappy ya shoot. Ya showed up and ya shot. Trust me on this one. :eek:

Yer rifle gets shipped, and ya have no say what condition it'll be in. You CAN pay more for a better version, but it's a crap shoot as to how much better it may be.

Win-win in my opinion regardless of choice! :D
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Gandog...

That is a beautiful example of what can be had from the CMP! ;)
  10. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

Very nice, I've been wanting to get one of those for years.......someday I'll get around to buying one. Enjoy!
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I think that you HAVE to be a member of a range that is affiliated with the CMP. I have bought four rifles from them but I just don't remember for sure. I also have a C&R but I never used it with the CMP. I guess the C&R would prove you are over 21 and are a US citizen.

Here is a link to the page that gives the eligibility rules: http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm

Back in April, I ordered just a receiver to have one built. I had every part except the receiver. When I sent it to a fellow in Alabama to have the barrel installed, he found that it was out of spec. He tried the barrel that I sent and 12 different barrels and could not get any of them to work. I sent it back to the CMP and built an AR-15 instead of an M1. I sold a lot of the parts on eBay but still have a good many of the parts laying around.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  12. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

how much do they run now?

I think I paid $450 when I got mine, haven't shot it that much really because of my M14 and M1A but I do like the '06. A bunch of them were swapped to .308 also

which grade did you get? she looks clean!
  13. Mauser88

Mauser88 New Member

Nice! I got my first one from the DCM program back in 1988. Paid $165.00 shipped back then.
  14. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

oh that's right, the CMP was the new name after the DCM