1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

I Will NOT fire a rifle I intend to sell. (Repeat 100X

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/10/02 5:37:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All I Will NOT fire a rifle I intend to sell. (Repeat 100X)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why do I ALWAYS "fall in love" with a rifle when I test fire it, no matter HOW many I have, no matter whether I always INTENDED just to sell the darn thing...no matter HOW plain Jane typical it is....

I got 4 of my "project" M44 shooters ready to go, 3 Poles and one Russian, I already have one listed on AA and one on GB, but hadn't shot them yet...I was going to sell them by this weekend's Indy 1500 and see what I could pick up....

Took them out back today, did the "Polish Headspace Test," then put a stripper clip through each...

DARN if I don't want to sell ANY of them now...

And the worst part is the Russian Wartime is a laminated I redid, came out looking FINE and I intended to keep it, maybe to make into my "Scout"...until one of the Polish outshot it both in group size, smoothness, and trigger feel...DARN maybe I have to keep TWO...

And it's not just the fact I refinished them, spent time on them...one Pole I did nothing to except change the front sight that was broke and replace a couple of screws that were missing...I STILL want it!

I could never make a living at this...

As an aside, "policing the yard" before the first mow will be a pain this year...instead of just twigs and trash, there's a TON of x54R and 9x18 berdan cases in the grass out back now...

"It's only money..."

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/10/02 5:59:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: I Will NOT fire a rifle I intend to sell. (Repeat 100X)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    polishshooter - they're addictive!!!

Wondered how long before you found that out.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/10/02 9:07:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: I Will NOT fire a rifle I intend to sell. (Repeat 100X)
    I am trying to arrange a swap with Flhunter for, of course, a Spanish pistol, but I am going through my assorted non-Spanish stuff going "gee, thats kinda neat, I don't want to swap that, gee that one shoots really good, nah" !!!! It's a dilema, once you have it and handle it, you don't want to let it go!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/10/02 9:26:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Same problem here folks with the collectables!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/10/02 9:34:54 pm)
    How in the hell does Andrew do it? He has so MANY fine pieces pass through his hands...(I'm at a loss for words, I didn't know whether to cap the MANY or the FINE... )

I'm this way with $50 Combloc crap, what would I be like if it was a vintage Colt SAA or a Winchester 95 or something...

Probably a broke gun packrat....

I could just see me running a gunshop...er, sorry, that one's not for sale...uh, that one too....Nope, that one either....Well, that one I was gonna keep....You don't want THAT one....Spoken for!...Mine....Mine....MINEMINEALLMINE!!!!!

....Can I interest you in some ammo?
    "It's only money..."

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/10/02 9:56:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Polish,

Easy answer. Check my auctions... you wont find a single Winchester lever action. Guess where they all are?? I have a few (seven or so) of the mid-condition guns (all factory special order) decorating my living room. The rest are squirreled away doing the nest-egg thing (several NIB pre-64 M70's, M12's, factory engraved levers, etc).

S&W, oh yeah, I've got S&W's... Colt's.. oh yeah, I have an antique stand-alone secretary stuffed full of Colt... Parker? Yep, got Parker. Superposed? Yep.

So, you see, I have the same problem, only much worse. Just add a couple zeros.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/10/02 10:19:39 pm)
    Before I got into "collecting" I rarely kept a gun for any length of time unless it was an heirloom, or "special" for some reason, like a competition gun...(No, not true, I even sold my Garand for some racing tires...) I must have owned 100 guns in my life, sold most of them to buy another....

But then I got my CR, and "started" with cheap Russians, really thinking one or two of the carbines and I'd move on to Enfields, Mausers, US, whatever...

I started with M44s, then figured what the hey, I'd get one of each country, then had to have a wartime...then got a good sample of each, finished, right? Then I got into the ratty 91/30s...started buying them 2-3-5 at a time...sold a couple and THAT hurt...like I was selling History...THEY saw ACTION...so I got back into the M44s, figuring sell those to get money to buy other stuff (like 91s, or more 91/30s, 38s etc...) figuring very few 44s saw "real" action, really only the 1943s through 45s, musta been the history thing....

NOPE. EVERY 44 grows on me...I think Bob called it a 44 Fetish...I got it.

It starts the same way every time...pull it from the box, heart racing, check quickly to see markings...Tula? No...1943? no...East German? No...pretty mundane dime-a dozen postwar rearsenal...COOL, I won't get attached to THIS one, I can SELL it...

WRONG. All I have to do is put ONE clip through it...

Sometimes not even that...just handle it for a bit...

I'm AFRAID to start on anything else....
    But you know, maybe it IS the History...I keep thinking about selling my Romanian SKS...I KNOW I should keep it as an "investment," especially since they dried up, but it does nothing for me...may even try to sell it at a show this weekend....

And buy more Nagants.....

Is there a "Mosin Nagant Anonymous" support group?

"It's only money..."

walter in florida
    (3/10/02 10:49:33 pm)
    Polishshooter I agree with you 100 percent. My collection is not too great and the only gun I would get rid of my Lorcin L-25 with pink grips I bought for my wife (she didn't want it) But what a minute, Lorcin is out of business and mybe just mybe it could become a collectors item. I seen pot metal 32 S & W Clerke's selling for 75.00 in pawn shops

runabout199
    (3/11/02 1:48:10 am)
    i have a m44 and im still working on it it is in superb shape and my opinion is why buy to sell im a collector and ive never sold a gun my wife thinks i like my guns more than her <some times i do> but any rate i had purchased a 1938 turkish mauser for 39.00 and i re finished the stock and cleaned all the greese off of it and then took it to a pawn shop and they offered me 200.00 for it wow. i figure if its worth that now what will it be worth when my son owns it?
    semper fi

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/11/02 10:47:58 am)
    There's a price for everything I guess...

...somebody offers me $200 pawn for a Turk Mauser it's his RIGHT now....

And 5 more Turks would be on order before I got home...

Now looking back on my post, I'm not really as bad as I make it sound, for the right price I sell and don't look back, but it HURTS to part with any, but it's kinda like losing a good hunting or family dog....

...the sorrow lasts until you bring home another puppy....

And thank goodness my wife buys the "Honey, I'd love to give you some money when I sell a gun, but the ATF rules say I have to use the money I get from selling any of my CRs only to improve my collection, or I could go to JAIL.... )

Hi. My name is Mike. And I am a Nagantaholic.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/11/02 6:18:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    He's been bit!!!

You think it's bad now...Just wait until you stumble across a mauser or two.

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/11/02 6:58:29 pm)
    Yeah, I think I'm on the road to recovery (step 2?)...

I forced myself today to come up with a price for EACH of my guns that would be the magic price if offered I would GLADLY sell...and every one but the '97, my .45, and Dad's Rem 48 (and that's my son's anyway, so I couldn't sell it...) had a "reasonable"price...

(It has to be reasonable, if you come up with, say, a grand for a 1946 M44 rearsenal "typical" you have BIGGER problems than the "Fetish..." )

....and it's amazing how many times a C note or less came up on the Nagant wall.....
    Hi. My name is Mike. And I am a Nagantaholic.

Edited by: polishshooter at: 3/11/02 7:00:18 pm

gamehunter3
    (3/11/02 7:35:31 pm)
    WITH ME IT STARTED BY BUYING SOME STRIPPER CLIPS FROM POLISH SHOOTER FOR AN OLD NAGANT I PICKED UP CHEAP AT A GUN SHOW SEVERAL YEARS AGO. I ASK A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS ABOUT IT AND THEN I FOUND OUT IT WAS A 91/24. THEN IT STARTED, I GOT A M44 IN THE WRAPS WHICH WAS REAL SWEET, THEN I HAD TO GET ANOTHER ONE JUST TO KEEP IN THE WRAPPER. THEN I GOT A 91/30 WITH ALL THE ACCESSORIES. BUT IT DIDN'T STOP THERE, I'M BIDDING ON A SPRINGFIELD M1868 AND A PARLOR PISTOL MY WIFE LIKES, ALSO I WANT TO GET A NAGANT REVOLVER OR TWO AND A WINCHESTER 1892 45 CAL. WITH A OCTAGON BARREL. SO WHERE DOES IT END. AT LEAST MY WIFE LIKES GUNS AS MUCH AS ME.

JERRY IN FLORIDA 81 AND SUNNY

velvetnsteel
    (3/12/02 8:45:24 pm)
    Polishshooter........what is your handle on the gun auctions? And I called Century Arms looking for Turkish Mausers today and was told they are OUT of ANY grade right now. They must be the latest hot item.....I was gonna buy 5 and sell them to pawn shops but no such luck...........

I agree the various 44's are fun to shoot. Lots of fire and noise along with a sore shoulder or two.
    Long live the Swedish Mauser!!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/12/02 9:29:12 pm)
    I find it impossible for me to get rid of a gun.

I was offered $1500 for my M1A and turned it down.(I wasn't going to tell ya that AD but it slipped out )
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/12/02 10:57:54 pm)
    Velvet, the same on all, Polishshooter...I only list on GB and AA...
    Hi. My name is Mike. And I am a Nagantaholic. "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

velvetnsteel
    (3/13/02 5:35:45 pm)
    Thanx - I appreciate the info
    Long live the Swedish Mauser!!

Enfield Von Mauser
    (3/13/02 10:36:25 pm)
    I always told the wife that if we won the lottery I would open the biggest gunshop around......then lock the doors and let no one in. I've only sold 1 milsurp, a $9.87 ufixem missing the front sight. Added a sight from the parts bin, and sold it for $50 to a history buff. He couldn't believe the price and was tickled to pay it.
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock" Will Rogers

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/14/02 7:12:01 pm)
    Yeah, EVM, the laminated Russian I just finished started out as a $9.87 Ufixem...I couldn't believe it came with a BOLT and a rod, too...first one so far...

The stock was REALLY ratty, dings, but all heavily covered in dirty axle grease or something, not cosmoline. In fact you couldn't tell it was a laminated until I took the rags and alcohol to it...It had a post war front sight on the small wartime base, and it was missing all the escutcheons from the sling slots, but other than that complete, with a decent bore...even had a solid handguard...

Got another wartime in the same shipment that was a rearsenal, metal was sweet with a stock all cracked and unfixeable...it came with a rod too...STUCK DOWN THE BORE!! (I can't get it out...) But it provided the correct front sight, and the escutcheons.

Had to degrease, used about a whole can of denatured, then heavy sand the laminated stock, but it must be soft wood in the laminateds, it went down quickly with 60 grit, then progressive to 200g...it came out nice! I used a Cherry stain to try and make it reddish like the real ones are, it came out lighter than issue ones, but looking really nice...it's a keeper. It was the first one I tried Linseed oil on, didn't like it at all took almost two days to dry, so I sanded it all off and started over, and finished with Tru-Oil, it now looks fine.

I now have a pretty shooter, and can keep my all matching, genuine finish one on the rack...

I got a whole $9.87 x 2 into it...

In fact I may try my side mount idea one it, it ought to be easier with a high-wall, and knowing what I got into it, I won't cry when it gets drilled....

And it's not like I don't have the time to play with them now fixing them up...what the heck, I like handling them, and it keeps me busy...

The Ufixems are if you get lucky a 50-50 proposition..for every one thats fixable, another is good only for parts, and then some of them are totally stripped too...I got one that except for the bayonet, NOTHING else was on it except the buttplate and the bands holding it to a cracked all to heck stock...and I now have an entire shooting box filled with odd Nagant parts...

I've bought a total of 10 so far, six of the $10 ones and 4 of the $20 ones, and ended up with 5 decent "shooters" after a lot of work and sawdust on the kitchen floor. Have about $150-160 total counting shipping and Century's "Signature fee" into them...

And I think I may be able to salvage another 2 if I buy some bolts...but with good bolts running around $30...you are not far off from the $50 you can get G-VG completes for....

Hi. My name is Mike. And I am a Nagantaholic. "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"