1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

I would like to identify this bolt action rifle.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by blacksheepone, Oct 3, 2012.

1. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

Hello there,

I've inherited this rifle from a family member.
    I've been searching trough the internet with the markings on the gun to establish the manufacturer of this rifle but so far no luck.
    It's a calibre 45-70 bolt action rifle.

I'll post pictures of the rifle. Unfortunately I can't get a clear picture of the markings on the rifle yet but there's PT in it and some kind of arrows and something that looks like two two y's : yy PT and arrows ....
    Once I get a clean and clear picture of the markings I'll post them here

Many thanks for the help !!! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what it is.

But, if you would post a few pictures of the things that can be used to identify a gun we might have a better chance.

There looks like a logo on the butt plate but I can't make out what it is.

Also, is there anything stamped on the barrel, brand, model, caliber...anything?
  3. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

Hey there ! Thanks for the reply...
    Well the things on the butt plate doesn't seem to be a logo but nevertheless I'll post a pic of it ... The calibre stamp says 70. I'll do my best to get a usefull picture of the stamps on the barrel...
    It's gonna come up in my next post...

Hope that I'll get my answers then... :)

PS like your Reagan quote : In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. ~ Ronald Reagan
    This is true around the world... even so in Europe... Really good quote !!!
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Welcome ! has it a internal mag or is it a single ?
  5. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

Okay I got a closer look to the rifle and here's what I've found. markings are following 76 and 10.5 also has said in first post I see something looking like two y's and PT then two arrows forms pointing towards each other.... Still can't get a good picture of those markings though so I'm gonna make a drawing and post a picture of it....
  6. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

Hi there, it's a single...
  7. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

OK so the markings has posted previously are 76 and 10.5 also here's a drawing of the other marking of which I couldn't make a usefull photograph... (bear with me I'm not a great artist :p )

[​IMG]
  8. GunHugger

I believe it's European, maybe French since I found an old french proof mark like the crossed lightning bolt arrow thing.

The P.T. means Proof Tested for smokeless powder.

I'm still digging for the other two.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  9. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

Great !!! We're getting there !!! Thanks for helping me on this one !
    I'm rather new in all this. I've always been interested in firearms but never had one of my own. I'm considering getting my hunting permit after passing the required exams so I can legally keep and use this rifle. (For the time being it's stored with a friend who has all the right papers to legally keep this kind of weapons). What I hope to know is if it's a descent rifle and know the manufacturer and type so I can get to learn all specs I need to know. Unfortunately the friend who is safegarding it for me is only into specific brands of hunting rifles so he can't help me with the identification...
    That's how I got to this forum... Seems I've been knocking on the right door :):):):)
  10. GunHugger

:D You might be knocking on the right door...but I'm just about to give up and say I don't know what it is.

More pictures of the receiver from above or a good side shot might help. I looked for the past hour and still don't know exactly what your rifle is.

I'll look some more later, have to leave for a while.
  11. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The barrel at least is definitely French; how did you determine it is .45-70 caliber??
  12. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Is it rifled or smoothbore?
    I'm thinking a shotgun as that bolt doesn't look like it would contain very many rounds of a rifle cartridge. (45/70 wil usually drop into a .410 chamber.)
  13. Goody

Goody Member

That was my first impression as well. the 70 marking could be for 70mm, 2 3/4 inch shell.
  14. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It might be a shotgun as I don't see any front sight, but don't know if that's a sight base or what at the breech.

(A .45 Colt round will chamber in a 410, but a 45-70 round should not as it has a larger base diameter)
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I coppied the picture the OP posted, and enlarged it 200%. There is a bead on the end of the barrel, it's a shot gun!