I would like to identify this bolt action rifle.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by blacksheepone, Oct 3, 2012.

1. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

Hello there,

I've inherited this rifle from a family member.
    I've been searching trough the internet with the markings on the gun to establish the manufacturer of this rifle but so far no luck.
    It's a calibre 45-70 bolt action rifle.

I'll post pictures of the rifle. Unfortunately I can't get a clear picture of the markings on the rifle yet but there's PT in it and some kind of arrows and something that looks like two two y's : yy PT and arrows ....
    Once I get a clean and clear picture of the markings I'll post them here

Many thanks for the help !!! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what it is.

But, if you would post a few pictures of the things that can be used to identify a gun we might have a better chance.

There looks like a logo on the butt plate but I can't make out what it is.

Also, is there anything stamped on the barrel, brand, model, caliber...anything?
  3. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

Hey there ! Thanks for the reply...
    Well the things on the butt plate doesn't seem to be a logo but nevertheless I'll post a pic of it ... The calibre stamp says 70. I'll do my best to get a usefull picture of the stamps on the barrel...
    It's gonna come up in my next post...

Hope that I'll get my answers then... :)

PS like your Reagan quote : In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. ~ Ronald Reagan
    This is true around the world... even so in Europe... Really good quote !!!
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Welcome ! has it a internal mag or is it a single ?
  5. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

Okay I got a closer look to the rifle and here's what I've found. markings are following 76 and 10.5 also has said in first post I see something looking like two y's and PT then two arrows forms pointing towards each other.... Still can't get a good picture of those markings though so I'm gonna make a drawing and post a picture of it....
  6. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

Hi there, it's a single...
  7. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

OK so the markings has posted previously are 76 and 10.5 also here's a drawing of the other marking of which I couldn't make a usefull photograph... (bear with me I'm not a great artist :p )

[​IMG]
  8. GunHugger

I believe it's European, maybe French since I found an old french proof mark like the crossed lightning bolt arrow thing.

The P.T. means Proof Tested for smokeless powder.

I'm still digging for the other two.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  9. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

Great !!! We're getting there !!! Thanks for helping me on this one !
    I'm rather new in all this. I've always been interested in firearms but never had one of my own. I'm considering getting my hunting permit after passing the required exams so I can legally keep and use this rifle. (For the time being it's stored with a friend who has all the right papers to legally keep this kind of weapons). What I hope to know is if it's a descent rifle and know the manufacturer and type so I can get to learn all specs I need to know. Unfortunately the friend who is safegarding it for me is only into specific brands of hunting rifles so he can't help me with the identification...
    That's how I got to this forum... Seems I've been knocking on the right door :):):):)
  10. GunHugger

:D You might be knocking on the right door...but I'm just about to give up and say I don't know what it is.

More pictures of the receiver from above or a good side shot might help. I looked for the past hour and still don't know exactly what your rifle is.

I'll look some more later, have to leave for a while.
  11. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The barrel at least is definitely French; how did you determine it is .45-70 caliber??
  12. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Is it rifled or smoothbore?
    I'm thinking a shotgun as that bolt doesn't look like it would contain very many rounds of a rifle cartridge. (45/70 wil usually drop into a .410 chamber.)
  13. Goody

Goody Member

That was my first impression as well. the 70 marking could be for 70mm, 2 3/4 inch shell.
  14. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It might be a shotgun as I don't see any front sight, but don't know if that's a sight base or what at the breech.

(A .45 Colt round will chamber in a 410, but a 45-70 round should not as it has a larger base diameter)
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I coppied the picture the OP posted, and enlarged it 200%. There is a bead on the end of the barrel, it's a shot gun!