I would like to identify this bolt action rifle.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by blacksheepone, Oct 3, 2012.

1. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

It's actually smoothbore. I've just asked my friend to check...
    What kind of ammo has to be used in this shotgun then ?
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

10.5mm is the metric designation for the .410 cartridge.
    76mm is a common marking for a 3" chamber. 70mm is a common marking for a 2.75" chamber. Whatever the marking is, that's the chamber length.
    If it's a 76mm chamber, then you can fire 3" .410 shotshells in it (or any shorter length .410 as well).

I have no clue as to the maker though. Nothing that I've ever seen before and I don't recognize and of the posted proofmarks.
    It looks to be pretty modern with the machine pressed stippling on the grip and fore-end.

No importer or brand name markings on it anywhere?
  3. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

I thought it was a 45-70 because I had an empty round (coming from the same relative from whom i got the gun) and it fitted perfectly into the chamber....
    But has it is smoothbore and not rifled it must be a 410 I guess with the info I read here...
  4. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

Well the markings I've drawn are the only ones I can find on the gun...
  5. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

I just want to thank all of you guys for all the trouble you're getting trough to help me find out what it is .... :)
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

7. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

8. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

umm could the cross lighting marking be a military designation for a communications or signal unit????
  9. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

Hi there,

No it isn't, I got a link from another member and it's a french made shotgun.
    I just don't know the manufacturer but it's french and the crossed lightnings are for "guns in finalized state when proofed" has you can find in the link...

All the markings are now clear to me only the brand of the gun is still unknown...

Thanks for trying though :)
  10. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

OK thanks to all your combined efforts I've found out that it's a 410 (12mm) shotgun French made and for has far as I can find with all the info the manufacturer is "Manu Arm"....

I'm really happy that I came here and ask my question because now at least i know what this weapon is...

Thanks guys !!!
  11. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

I'm surprised a 45-70 round will chamber, as the 45-70 case head diameter is .500+ versus .480 for 410 shell, and a 410 shell fired in a 45-70 swells noticeably.

Please don't try firing 45-70 in your shotgun!
  12. blacksheepone

blacksheepone New Member

Don't worry ;) Although I've never had a firearm before this one I know that you can't use inapropriate ammo. Only use the ammo the weapon was made to fire...
    I'm not intending to blow the gun, and myself, up by trying a 45-70 in a buckshot 410.... But thanks for the advice though. I hope that everybody may be that smart not experimenting stuff they shouldn't with guns.
    That's the reason I wanted to ID this weapon so I was sure what kind I was dealing with and what ammo should be used with it.
    It's actually quite light stuff for smallgame like rabbits and stuff, so after passing my exams for my hunting permit I'll be getting myself a bit more powerfull weapon than this one I guess. Maybe a real 45-70 for change.... :)