IB not Bill Gates, duh, but, so??????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ibtrukn, Mar 6, 2007.

1. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Thinkin about gettin Optimum 3pak, fone, tv, internet, $90 month 4 1 year then hoo nose? NE 1 got this and U like it, is it good deel? IB still on dialup dont laff IB used 2 it. bout the biggest advantage IC is the fone will werk if the puter is on. wotchu say?:cool:
  2. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I pay $20.23 a month to AT&T, former SBC for a 2nd line.

It's a cheapo local line w/o access to St. Looser.

But....... Earthlink has a local access line I can dial for no charge.

Be glad when the aholes get DSL out here in the country.....:mad:
  3. But Al, don't those damnyankees up north first need to bring in that new fangled 'lectricity stuff? :D ;) :p

All kidding aside, DSL is a considerable improvement over dialup, but for really good Internet access, cable is the way to go. We finally got it here in rural Colorado only about two years ago.
  4. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Hey Pistol I agree with you. Cable is really the only way to go,but where I live its 19.8 miles to the paved road.I have to use Hughes satellite for our computer and Dish for our TV. Oh well the cost of living in the country???:cool: Hughes costs more than I can really afford but it keeps the wife happy.As far as the cost of ibtrukn is talking about I don't know just how good a deal it is.:) catfish
  5. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I'm guessing Huges is local.

Is Dish satellite internet an option for you.
  6. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Nope, Hughes is not local. They're a satellite company. Think "Howard" and you'll realize what company you're dealing with when you call them. Yes, they are *that* Hughes.

Hughes is available just about anywhere in the world. Problem is, you'll spend quite a bit more than dialup, DSL or cable for their service. However, in some areas, it's the only game in (small) town.

Expect to spend around $400 to get started and about $60 to $80 per month, depending upon speed.
  7. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Mebbe IB changin hiz mind (like I got 1) Verizon has fiber optic witch da local xperts tell me is the way 2 go. also increase the memry to 512, now 128. wotch say?:cool:
  8. Adam686

Adam686 New Member

Here's my take:
    Cable - This is a great choice if you live in a sparsely populated neighbor hood.
    It has a higher possible speed than DSL. The downsides are that if you live in a subdivision or apartment complex where there are a good amount of neighbors around you, your speed is shared among them. So if everyone gets on at the same time you could be running slower than DSL. Also if you don't have cable already they will have to install it in your home for you.

DSL - This is great because it is your own dedicated connection (no one else is sharing it in your neighborhood). It has a lower top speed than cable but it will always be consistent. Also it is easy to install because most people already have a phone line in their home which is what it runs on top of.

FiOs (Fiber Optics) - This is the new king. It blows the other two out of the water. Higher top speeds and a dedicated connection to your home. Plus this method uses light to transfer the data up to your home so it will not be affected by a lot of the atmospheric events that DSL and cable are sometimes affected by because they use electricity.

So in closing if you can afford it go with FIOS, if you can't afford it and live in a low population area get cable or if you live in a subdivision or apartment complex get DSL.
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

That's a fine analysis, Adam. I second your comments. :)