1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

IBM Corp M1 Carbine .30 caliber Rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by firekidd, Oct 28, 2011.

1. firekidd

firekidd New Member

I have a IBM Corp M1 Carbine .30 caliber rifle and would like to have more information and an estimate of worth.

Where would I locate a serial #. I am assuming it was produced in 1943 as the barrel is marked.

Did IBM Corp really make a rifle for WWII?

I have 5 clips - different sizes. I am uploading some pictures to help
    I hope.

Is this a
    U.S. Army M1 Carbine (Military/Reworks) or
    U.S. M1 Carbine Type I or
    U.S. M1 Carbine Type II

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      87.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      82.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

It has the late model sight and has a bayonet lug which the early ones did not have. However the safety is the early pushbutton type which was changed to a lever to prevent dropping the magazine by mistake when both were push buttons. It has import marking from Blue Sky which indicates it was returned to USA from a foreign country(Probably Korea). Not uncommon to find carbines with both early and late features as changes were made with arsenal rebuilds
  3. firekidd

firekidd New Member

so which one is it? I know the model makes a difference in price.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

IBM made some 346,500 M1 carbines in WWII. That one has had all the upgrades, including the safety (take a better look, Gabob). There were not two models of the M1 Carbine, but early carbines were upgraded with modified parts as time went on. (The M2 carbine is selective fire and is classed as a machinegun.) Early carbines are more valuable, but ones that escaped upgrades are uncommon.

Jim
  5. popgun

popgun New Member

It's a typical Blue Sky import from Korea. These are considered low end in the collector market (if not the bottom). These came from Korea and most are poor condition. For a while they were all there was on the market and unless you could find one of the DMC carbines you had to settle. Since the CMP brought in 30,000 or more non-import carbines from Greece the price on these Blue Sky Imports has dropped. Value $450-$500 in some markets. I personally would not pay that much for yours as the condition is in the Fair range (poor finish, marred stock). IMHO $350
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The serial number is under the rear sight and may be difficult to read, but it is there.

It would help the value some to remove the stock and treat it to a little linseed oil, tighten up the sling and screw down the recoil plate screw.

Jim
  7. paradox998

paradox998 New Member

Yes IBM did make M1 Carbines. Yours was re-imported to the US by Blue Sky. I was likely given to an ally after the war and then sold and brought back. it has been through a re-arsenal process as evidenced by the post WWII bayonette fitting. The value is probably around $500, but that will depend on how many of the parts are IBM. All matching rifles are worth more, but given it was re-arsenaled it is likely has a variety of parts.