I'd Call This High Tech ..... !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnHenry, Dec 22, 2011.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

2. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

Heard about this tech on an episode of Top Sniper, where they were describing its use in detecting enemy snipers.

Powerful surveillance systems make me nervous, particularly when they're just spread willy-nilly over a whole city. "Why, have something to hide?" No, but if something can be abused, it will be by someone.

I suppose it could help cut down on things like gang violence. Not like it detects baseball bats, though.

Makes me think even more that I want a big plot of land with lots of tree cover on the outskirts of some small town. :D
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I'mma play the BS card on this one. While I agree the tech is there, in most cases the info would be worthless.

Say I'm downtown and crank off a round. With all that concrete and steel, it would be near impossible to tell what corner I was standing on. Analyzing the info would take hours.:rolleyes:
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Bob, I think that's the reason for the calibration. Sensor placement would also need to be very well planned using computer models of the entire area. I'm like you though, it's hard to see it actually working but I won't rule it out.

Interesting...

And on another note, this actually makes sense as a viable means to reduce gun crime. After all, we all know that gun laws don't do anything to reduce gun crime.
  5. geds

geds New Member

We have them installed and working in Birmingham for about a year now. I can't see that they do anything other than let LEOs know where to look for gun shot victims.

The shot is fired and the perp is long gone by the time the cops get there. At least they know a shot was fired within a block or so.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

now to set the record straight its been posible to do so for a while , the millimeter and sub mill, radar used to direct counter battery fire have picked up rifle fire especially when humid or raining... VN proved that

its just been tuned specifically for rifle fire and made smaller ...

cheers
  7. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

a pity it can't detect a switchblade being dragged across someone's throat, or the moans of a woman being gagged, dragged into an alley and gang-raped. but, hey, get rid of all the guns and stuff like that'll stop, right?:rolleyes:
  8. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Wonder if it will detect farts...co-relate to a local eatery and they can use the info to shut down a deadly ozone layer threat...
  9. geds

geds New Member

It works off of sound - so if they are loud enough.....:eek: ;)
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I saw something like this on Future Weapons, I think It was mounted on a Stryker. It was combined with weaponry and was used to return sniper fire.
  11. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Believe it. It may not yet be as effective as the hype but the technology has been around for many a year, always advancing. It basicaly takes three sensors to triangulate a sound source within the perimeter of the sensors. Its effectiveness may be over rated at this point to justify cost, but that's par for the course.
    Obviously accuracy will improve with tighter primeter and minimal obstructions etc. and though it could be a good thing if used only for its intended purpose I have to agree with prizefighter in that nothing goes unabused. The big brother effect!
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  12. Finster

Finster New Member

I bet there not just using that acoustic technology for hearing gun shots and explosions more like peoples conversations in there homes that live in really crowded city's where people live a 1 foot away from you (if police can tap your phones why wouldn't they do this). This technology has been achievable for a long time but now its become so easy and cheap to do even with a little know how you can program and make this stuff on your own and cost you about 40 bucks. Wouldn't doubt this stuff is going to soon be mass produced.
  13. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

That's a great point. Anything advanced enough to triangulate gunshots could probably be re-purposed to listen to other things. We could have to contend with agencies trolling for watch words in everyday conversations, not just on the internet. :(
  14. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

This system has been in place in various San Francisco Bay Area towns for at least 15-years. I have heard it is accurate to within 10 feet. There will be television and radio PSA's in the next week to remind people of the systems existence and to get them to stop shooting their guns in the air on New Years. A cousin in an area affected by this stupidity has said it has been hugely successful.
  15. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    Yep, I'm thinking Big Brotha.

Looks to me like a roundabout to the 2a. Of course like everything else that is done, under the guise of safety and security . . . . eroding away our freedoms one chip of the mountain at a time.

But, I sometimes wear a tin hat.
  16. armoredman

armoredman New Member

geds, come 'round after taco night - you can hear me "release" up into the mountains.
  17. geds

geds New Member

As inviting as that sounds.....I think I'll pass! :eek: ;)
  18. WTHines

WTHines New Member

From what little contact I've had (greater D.C. area), accuracy was more like 10 yards or so at "best". The echo effect of buildings is not a problem at all. But that was a couple years back and technology does improve. They do have this and more. Much of which the general populace has no idea.

Happy holdiays everyone
  19. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

20. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    They can hear you in your home, and they can see you in your home. Out in public, everyone is fair game!