ID help

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by texasarch, Mar 10, 2011.

1. texasarch

texasarch New Member

This pistol was recently recovered by the Belize Department of Archaeology they have asked my assistance in identifying it - time period, make, etc.
    Belize was formerly British Honduras so I am assuming the pistol is British. The only markings on the gun say "Torp" Any help you can provide is deeply appreciated. If you need additional pics I can post them.

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It appears to be a Flobert parlor pistol. German, from the proof marks.
  3. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Member

Any idea what caliber it is? If it is a .22, I'm thinking it might be an old parlor pistol--used for shooting targets with CB caps in what would have been the living room in the late 1800s. Try doing that today...
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Probably either 22 BB cap, or 6mm Flobert.
  5. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

beats me but it's neat!
  6. the Riddick

the Riddick Former Guest

Can you post pictures looking inside the barrel? And the hammer?? Does it have a breech?
  7. RJay

RJay Active Member

If you google Flobert you will find information galore. Made by the boat load late 1880's to the 1930's. Uses a small light power . 22 cartridge ( CB Caps ). Also made in other calibers but yours looks to be . 22. Used for indoor target practice and in taverns to bet for drinks. There is no way to pin a date down, they were also made by a number of makers. most of them Belgium but also Spain and France. They could also be used as a garden gun against birds and gophers.
  8. grcsat

grcsat Member

Yep thats a flobert pistol.

This is what it should look like in working condition

Attached Files:

9. Parlorpistol

Parlorpistol New Member

The markings are exact on a parlor pistol I have been trying to find info on.
    Do you know exact specs on the 2 crowns and U? I have been researching and have found its german and its a second inspection mark, but mine has 78 stamped on it and no other marks. I have taken the wooden grips off and there is nothing.
    TO conclude I am trying to find info from anyone. Please let me know if anyone has. THANKS!
  10. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Not exactly a Flobert. Floberts used the hammer as the breech block. This is a parlor pistol, but it uses a cannon breech.
  11. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Bill D is right. True Floberts have a very heavy hammer with the firing pin on it that serves to close the breech against the very low power cartridge it is intended to use.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  12. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

If you can locate a copy of the 1911 Alfa arms and sporting goods catalog you will see many examples of these pistols for sale back then.

Considering the proof marks and historical data, your pistol would have been made in Germany from around 1893 to 1914.
  13. okie headhunter

okie headhunter New Member

14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Parlorpistol, the two crowns and U are German proof marks. They are actually two proof marks - one crown alone is the proof for revolvers, muzzle loading pistols and single shot pistols; the crown/U is the final and definitive proof for arms proved in the finished state. Those marks were discontinued in 1939.

Jim
  15. bartswt

bartswt New Member

It appears I have the same parlor pistol with the double crown and a U on it. This gun also has the serial #1 on the breech lock. I wasn't sure if that was on every gun made or a unique serial #. It sounds like it is a unique #. Anyone confident on the value of these pistols?
  16. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The numbers on those guns are usually assembly numbers. The guns were fitted together, the parts numbered, and then the guns taken apart for final finishing. The numbers, called assembly numbers or lot numbers, were used to make sure the fitted parts got back together again. The "1" is simply a number; it does not indicate the first of anything except that batch and adds no value. Those guns have very little value, usually under $75 unless in like new condition. I saw an engraved one with an ivory grip with a price tag of $200 and no takers.

Jim