ID required

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by gutheory, May 29, 2012.

1. gutheory

gutheory New Member

Hi all.

Could one of you possibly ID this Pistol?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Attached Files:

2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

It appears to be an old 1880's Smith & Wesson Top-break Revolver. Probably in .32 or.38 caliber.
  3. gutheory

gutheory New Member

Hey..:)

Thanks for the info. You could be right, it's built like a tank. Could it be a copy?
    There are no markings anywhere on the pistol..
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Looks to be a 3rd Model, what does it say along the top of the barrel? Doesn't look like a copy to me.

These are chrome with long barrels, but the look of the parts and the hump back is right.

Attached Files:

5. gutheory

gutheory New Member

Didn't see anything along the top of the barrel. But it's got a lot of old grime on it. Will take another look tomorrow. It belongs to the father of a friend. He's thinking of selling it on to someone.

That's definitely the same pistol. Excluding the barrel length, and busted trigger guard..
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. 3rd Model Russian. Should be 44 caliber. Most of the spur on the trigger guard seems to be missing, although whether broken off or ground down I can't tell from the picture.

Real ones were made by Smith and Wesson. Real ones were also made, under license, by Ludwig Lowe, in Berlin.

Many many unlicensed copies were made in Spain and Belgium.

The Smith ones are good guns. The Lowe ones are good guns. The Spanish and Belgian guns, for the most part, are crap.
  7. gutheory

gutheory New Member

It's broken off, just checked another image. If it's a copy, I hope it's a good one.

He's got what appears to be an old "Gasser Centerfire Revolver " too. The Hammer on it isn't too healthy..
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

As a "collector" gun, it has little to no value. The guard is broken, the barrel has been cut, and it's rusty as hell.

As a "shooter", it would probably be dangerous to shoot. The gun was made long before smokeless powder was invented (about 1874), and is made of iron, not steel. Shooting smokeless in it would be right up there with lighting the fuse of a wet firecracker and holding it. For a while nothing might happen, but eventually one will explode in your hand. And as for shooting it with black powder loads, by the look of it, it does not seem to be well taken care of, and I would be afraid to try it.

As a "shadow box gun" for a display, it might be worth a couple of hundred bucks, if it is a "real" one. If it's one of the copies, then maybe worth 50 bucks.