ID to vote

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hstout1143, Aug 8, 2012.

1. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Ok, I live in California, which will be the very last state to require ID to vote, if they ever do require it, which I doubt. I wish it were the law of the land to show ID to vote, but a friend of mine that lives in a state that requires ID said that because he changed his affiliation and was required to complete a provisional ballot for people who didn't provide ID (He did). He explained that he in fact had ID which was acknowledged but the folks made him fill out the provisional ballot envelope. So now, if and when his vote is counted, the personnel at the County Clerk's office will know who he voted for. Is this the way it is on all provisional ballots? I don't think anyone should know who I vote for unless I tell them.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

with the new computers they'll know how everyone voted , and that wont mean a damn as they can then make your vote do what they want ...
  3. bakerconch

bakerconch New Member

Sad to say but you may be right Jack.
    I have been sceptical of our voting system for a long time now. But I feel that
    I still have to vote with my own morals in mind. If the vote total is manipulated one way or the other, although that is corrupt and wrong, at least I put in the effort to make a change according to my beliefs.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Got a thing in the mail, t'other day. Telling me what precinct I'm in and where to vote. Said I needed ID. IDs accepted were:

Drivers License
    State-issued ID card
    Passport
    Military ID

Those four are fine.

Student ID
    Credit or Debit Card
    Retirement Center ID
    Public Assistance ID

Not so sure about those four. When I was in college I didn't have to PROVE who I was. Just said, "I'm John Smith and want to enroll" and they said "Twenty-five dollars an hour", and issued me a card that said John Smith.

You can get, pretty much, any name you want on a credit card, long as you pay the bill.

This one I love.
    Neighborhood Association ID. What the hell is that?

I figger it should be state-issued ID only. Not even a passport, because mine says I'm a US citizen, but it does not say I'm a Florida resident. If I'm not a Florida resident, I should not be voting in a Florida election.

You don't drive, so don't have a license? Fine. Get your butt down to the DMV and get a free, FREE, FREE (as in "it don't cost nothin'") State ID Card.
  5. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

voter registration card should be required
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  6. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

State ID's are available to any citizen, and in some states, any non'citizen that wants one. The crap from Washington about ID being the same as a "poll tax" is exactly that, crap.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    At its birth, the United States was not a democratic nation—far from it. It was a Republic! The very word "democracy" had pejorative overtones, summoning up images of disorder, government by the unfit, even mob rule. (Oh really) In practice, moreover, relatively few of the nation's inhabitants were able to participate in elections: among the excluded were most African Americans, Native Americans, women, men who had not attained their majority, and white males who did not own land. Why? Because only these few had anything at stake in an election!
  8. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Some people here are upset about having to show an ID. I guess the dead people voting are the ones against it. The lady that checks my ID, I've known for 25 years and dated her daughter. I asked her why she checks my ID, just being curious, she said that way if someone asks her she can say that she checks everyones ID. No problem with me.
  9. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

In Ohio i've ALWAYS had to show my drivers liscense to vote. I cant understand NOT having to.
  10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Here you don't need to show anything. You do need to be a registered to vote. At some time you do need to go some place to register and show an id. After that nothing.
  11. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Here in Los Angeles you can request registration paperwork on the internet. They'll mail it to any assess you want, just type in the name you want to register under.