The Firearms Forum banner

Ideas for wild boar?

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  45nut 
#1 ·
I've got a fresh wild boar ham and I'm looking for some ideas. I could use any help I can get.

#6 ·
smoked is good. Is the ham trimmed or is it still layered with fat?

#7 ·
I would trim well,getting rid of all fat and cartlige you can. Soak in milk for a day or two and then cook side by side with a store ham. Cook slowly at low heat for hours. Then eat the store ham and throw away the wild one. :D:D:D.
I hunted them for years in South Texas but I sure didn't like them to eat. Too gamey for me. Good luck and milk will help.

#8 · (Edited)
Sexually mature boar meat is soured because of the excessive testosterone release during mating. I guess you could say wild boars are the most manly of game. So if you kill them to eat kill only young boars that arent dragging 'basketballs' behind them, or do like I do and kill sows for eating, boars for giving to the mexicans. Theyll eat anything and dont waste nuttn either.

If the ham you have still has a good layer of fat score it with a sharp knife and rub it with your favorite meat rub. For pork i like to use Sams secret recipe, but any pork rib rub will do great. and let it sit in the fridge for a day or so. then either smoke it on the smoker (preferred) or cook it in the oven. I like to smoke pork for about 2-3 hours uncovered to build that delicious texas style crust BBQ lovers so lustfully enjoy and then cover it with a few layers of foil and finish in the oven for about 6 or 7 more hours. all the while the temp should be between 225 and 250. The time uncovered on the smoker leans toward the 275-300 range. usually pork the size of a ham is done to falling off the bone in 10 hours or less. My best pork butts come off falling apart at around 7 hours.

#11 ·
I have cooked many wild hog and the best way I have found is to season the meat with salt, pepper, onion and garlic salt and cut up onions and green peppers and put it all inside a turkey size oven cooking bag. Put some slices in the bag so it doesnt blow up then wrap the bag in foil twice. Cook on the grill for about 3-4 hours turning the meat every hour or so. After it has cooked, open the bag and shake the meat off the bone and enjoy. Throw a few ears of corn on the grill half way thru and let them cook in the husk. Soak them in water first.

#12 ·
There must be some regional variations in the wild hog population because we shoot nothing but boars here (to keep a viable population) and, with only one exception it was ALL good. The one bad hog was shot in the evening and not recovered 'til the next morning and it was immediately apparent the meat was going to be bad. Kind of like used gym socks and dog pee.

I just killed a nice boar that gutted out at 154 lbs. I am going to cure both hams, and we usually make schnitzel out of the backstraps. Any good schnitzel recipe will work. The secret is to pound it thin and not to overcook it. I usually use olive oil and roll it in seasoned bread crumbs. My friends and family ASK for it.

Hams done from a wild hog are, without a doubt, the best hams we've ever eaten. The finished product has a texture kind of like prosciutto and I really like smoky. Morton Tenderquik in three gallons of water, add some spices to taste i.e. cinnamon, garlic, black pepper, white pepper, onion powder, cloves etc. I inject the brine into the ham, bone in, and soak refrigerated for five days. Then it goes in the oven at low temp to dry out, then into the smoker using red oak for 24 hours, then back into the oven to bring it to 170 F at the bone. Incredible!

One of my favorite recipes for pork butt is to do carnitas. The mix of spices can be looked up in many recipe books and is dead easy. I simply crockpot the meat until it comes apart, cool it down enough to handle and flake it apart, discarding any silverskin or sinew. I add the spices and slow cook it down until the standing liquid is about gone. Serve with guacamole, sour cream, cheddar cheese, green chiles, jalapenos, refries on flour tortillas and it is fine eating.

For exceptional smoked pork we usually kill a piglet or two each year and smoke 'em whole, basted in sesame oil and salt, pepper and garlic. When it looks like a Hershey bar it goes in a covered roaster in the oven for several hours. Nothing better.

#15 ·
The wife is thinking cubano style. Lots of garlic and oil and cooked til it falls apart. Put that on a long roll with provolone and some clausen pickles and olive salad.

#16 · (Edited)
I swear you could slow cook skunk in a crock pot and it will come out pretty good.
Yeah and cycloneman has the best recipe too!!! :eek: :D :D

A good friend killed a smallish wild hog and made a brine and soaked the hams for 5 days I think. Then he smoked it until it reached 170 at the bone and I swear, it was the best ham I have ever eaten.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.