Ideas on a good ar15 to buy

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

A Professional
    (10/25/01 1:41:34 am)
    | Edit | Del All Ideas on a good ar15 to buy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm looking to buy an AR, and I'm not really familiar with the newest models and better brands out there. I know Colt and Bushmaster have some good platforms, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

My dad has an SKS and I really like it. I only own a pistol, and I'd like something for longrange plinking. I figure the .223 is relatively cheap and accurate to shoot with, and want to go with that.

My budget is around $1000, and would most likely go a little higher if necessary. Any ideas?

-You'll never know the true effectiveness of a laser sight until you've had one pointed at your head-

warpig883
    (10/25/01 5:00:01 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: Ideas on a good ar15 to buy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bushmasters makes a good one and they can be had for considerably less than $1000.00. But remember the AR in AR-15 stands for Armalite. I would spend the whole wad and get the Armalite. Just my opinion.
    I am not happy unless I am miserable

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/25/01 6:04:21 am)
    The Bushmaster and the Armalite are very close in price, both comfortably under $1000 in typical service configuration. Both are exceptional, and the functional equivalent of any Colt.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Investig8tor
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/25/01 6:38:18 am)
    I too have been shopping for an AR type rifle for plinking and competition shooting.
    I have found the manufacturers that use hard chrome lined barrels make better investments. They are more likely to last much longer than those that are not.
    For plinking - longer barrel length is better.
    What type of sights? They range from fixed to fully adjustable or without for scope mounting.
    Needs to have a forward assist.
    Stay away from "Mixmasters" and home made or kit "Deals".
    Buy quality - avoid cheep knockoffs.

Bushmaster, Armilite, DPMS, Colt - all top of the line.

Good luck

gpostal
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/25/01 10:21:35 am)
    a nice bushmaster can be purchased around 800.00 ,from what I have heard armilite isn't the most reliable, I would consider that in resale value ,colt does have the best resale value ,but are more expensive to start with , so if you have a grand ,I would buy the bushmaster ,and that would leave money for a few extra mags and a few hundred rounds of ammo

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (10/25/01 3:07:02 pm)
    I have heard talk of a forward assist. Never ever use the forward assist unless your life depended on it. Forcing the round could cause an Accidental Discharge.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

SXSMAN
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/25/01 7:50:40 pm)
    I don't know if your to blame,but hell-I'm gonna blame you just the same!

I stopped in for a looksee and hello-hello-hello,what's this?

A as new in box Colt Elite 223 w/Nikon 3x9x40 (Or is that 50) with harris bipod.
    Some Leo had it and traded it.It's unfired.Looks new.They wanted 1299.
    I say "wanted" cause they took 1199.Looked at it as buying the rifle at reg. price and got
    scope and bipod for free.

Hope I didn't burn myself.Did I do ok?

So A Professional,you may have planted the seed,I guess I didn't have to sow it though.

tuckerd1
    (10/25/01 8:05:39 pm)
    Don't know anything about AR15's, but I saw this today and thought of ya'll. Ya'll tell me if it is good deal or not?

COLT M4. Black matte finish, 14.5 inch barrel, semi auto gas operated, adjustable front sight with detachable carry handle. 4 position buttstock. Includes 2-20 round mags, cleaning kit and sling. This rifle is only available to law enforcement/military personnel, certification letter on agency letterhead required. (Also available with optional 40mm grenade launcher).
    Sale Price $986.00 w/o Launcher

Brown's Sportinggoods