The Firearms Forum banner

Ident on Iver Johnson needed

967 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  hrf 
#1 ·
First post, folks so have mercy please. Buddy has an Iver Johnson .38 revolver and would like more info and stab at value. It's a nickel plated 5 shot top break. Has following on top of barrel --"Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works, Fitchburg, Mass.,USA." Know it's a .38 but unsure if whether short, S&W or plain .38. (Definitely NOT .38 Special.) Semi-rounded Butt strap has "Pat.Apr6,96,Feb15,87,May10,87,Mar13,88". These are rather worn down printing and can't be very positive about commas, periods, etc. The grips are black rubberized material with owl head facing forward. Barrel is about 3 1/4 inches, cylinder is 1 3/16 and overall length is approx. 7 1/4 inches. There are no other numbers or letters visible other than those mentioned. Under the left side grip is the number "1 39707". With the hammer down, the cylinder spins freely clockwise and locks up with a minimum of counterclockwise movement. Does seem to work as either single or double action. Surprisingly, at least to me, the thing is in pretty decent shape. There is some slight peeling of the nickel right over the cylinder and there is obvious evidence of the weapon having been fired.
Would most certainly appreciate any help on identifying the model number, its approximate age and any wild guess as to value. Thanks, friends.

#2 ·
First, Could that 1 be an I? Second, Could there be additional pat numbers on the butt that has been worn off, any possible faint markings ? There should be one more line. Third, When you pulled the grips, was there a coil mainspring or flat spring? The only thing that seems to fit right now is 1903, large frame ,38S&W, Black powder frame. This why photos are so important, very rarely did Iver Johnson make it easy to I D the year and model. hrf, what do you think?? As far as value with no photos, nothing valid can be given, but tell your friend not to quit his day job, Unless the firearm is in like new or close to like new, they are not high value, 100 to 125

#4 · (Edited)
You have to follow the guidelines in the sticky topics at the top of this topic. You need to post photos of the pistol also for any good estimation of value. They aren't worth much though - probably around $100 maximum and they use .38 S&W ammo which isn't all that cheap. With the last patent date being 1888 then it is a black powder only pistol and black power cartridges are next to impossible to get. Do NOT attempt to fire more modern smokeless .38 S&W cartridges in it EVER, unless you'd like to perhaps blow your hand up.

#5 ·
First, Could that 1 be an I? Second, Could there be additional pat numbers on the butt that has been worn off, any possible faint markings ? There should be one more line. Third, When you pulled the grips, was there a coil mainspring or flat spring? The only thing that seems to fit right now is 1903, large frame ,38S&W, Black powder frame. This why photos are so important, very rarely did Iver Johnson make it easy to I D the year and model. hrf, what do you think?? As far as value with no photos, nothing valid can be given, but tell your friend not to quit his day job, Unless the firearm is in like new or close to like new, they are not high value, 100 to 125
RJay, thanks for info. Repulled the grip, and the starting character mentioned is a "1" with a good sized space to the "39707" rest of the number. You are also correct in that there is a third line that is unidentifible due to wear on the bottom of the butt. The last character of the second line is "Dec" though. As to the spring, it's flat so think that you've nailed that it fits the "1903" designation. Appreciate your help. (And most certainly will not try to shoot -- my Dad had a .32 similar to this when I was a kid, and that was more than eighty years ago.) Take care.

#6 ·
I agree.

1903 is only year the I prefix was used, but there should be a last patent date AUG.25.96 plus PAT.PENDING

Caliber is .38 S&W, black powder.
HRF, thanks for the info. Replied to RJay also, and you are correct in that there is a third illegible line on the butt strap. The second line does end in "Aug" so think you gentlemen have nailed down that it's a 1903. (The first character is definitely a "1" though.) Again, thanks -- Appreciate you help.

#7 ·
HRF, thanks for the info. Replied to RJay also, and you are correct in that there is a third illegible line on the butt strap. The second line does end in "Aug" so think you gentlemen have nailed down that it's a 1903. (The first character is definitely a "1" though.) Again, thanks -- Appreciate you help.
The 1 is probably a poorly stamped letter I, and confusion with numeral 1 may be the reason why they only used it one year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.