IDENTIFICATION, COMMENTS - PLEASE

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by BullShoot, Nov 5, 2010.

1. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

I would appreciate any comments you experts can make about this knife. I acquired it quite a few years ago and still know very little about it - other than I like it.

• LOA 12 1/2 inches
    • Blade 7 3/4 inches
    • Blade is slightly hollowground, more so on left side than right.
    • Full length blade, ricasso and tang all one piece.
    • Scales are bone or, you tell me, possibly polished antler. They don't seem to me to be as porous as bone usually is.
    • Pommel is decorative but with a small hole, possibly for a thin lanyard
    • Only markings appear on the ricasso. '909' or '606' or 'bob' or 'pop' or something else. I am familiar with arabic; this does NOT look to be arabic.

Three photos attached here, the final two in the next post.
    Thank you for any light you can shed on my knife.

BullShoot

Attached Files:

2. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

The unexplained marks - two views of same NOT two different.

Attached Files:

3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Looks like a Finnish Pukko (spelling?) knife without the sheath. I believe that they were a mariners knife.
  4. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

///Looks like a Finnish Pukko (spelling?) knife without the sheath. I believe that they were a mariners knife. ///

Thanks, 3/2 STA SS. That's the best opinion I have heard yet. Actually it is the only rational one I have heard, whether it is accurate or not. I did have one fellow who said it was obviously made from a cut-down Mexican sword. I rejected that assessment without comment.

What is there about it that makes it seem Finnish to you? I am not familiar with the Pukko knives.

BullShoot
  5. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    It's spelled Puuko and could be Swedish or Finnish, even Norwegian. The little ring on the hilt makes me think neck knife. Length of the blade and the fact that it has been sharpened a whole mess of times makes me think woodsman Moose Knife.

It looks a lot like my Norwegian Storbukken knife except mine hasn't been used yet. My 30 year old Buck is still doing that duty and I'm skinning deer and small game not moose.
  6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Not a puuko. The blade is probably of German commercial manufacture. It also looks to have been plated at one time. These are my eduicated guesses.
  7. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

Bill, it must be an ''accidental trick of photography.'' With the knife in my hands, I can't see anything that looks like plating - present or removed.

Also, there some irregularities in the blade - a slight waviness of the surface just forward of the ricasso and the beginnings of a fracture seen on the blade back just forward of the scales.

Personally I have been torn between thinking it was commercial or masterfully made by an individual.

Hey Guys, I really appreciate all these comments. You're helping me gain a better perspective on a piece I have always admired.

BullShoot