Identification help needed - Iver Johnson 12 gauge

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mk79, Jul 13, 2011.

1. mk79

mk79 New Member

Hello all, I am new to this forum and need some help with identification. I tried searching threads, but no one seems to have a gun exactly like mine.
    My boyfriend and I were helping a friend clean out her father's home after his death and found this old shotgun in a closet. She didn't want it and gave it to us as a "thank you" for helping her out.
    We have been able to identify this as a 12 gauge Iver Johnson Champion shotgun. It has a 28" barrel. The serial number is 27317 but unlike most I have read about on here there are no words on the barrel and no visible patent numbers anywhere. The other main difference I have noticed between this gun and the others I have seen pictures of it the shape of the fore-end wood. Also, someone at some point added a Red Head Brand recoil pad to it.
    Hoping to find more info on this gun. Possible manufacture date, worth (not looking to sell, just wondering) etc.

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

Your Champion is an early one, and may be 100+ years old. According to the late Bill Goforth, those with all numerical serial numbers were made prior to 1920. Unfortunately there are no known records to date it to exact year, but it's the first I recall seeing with the octagon shaped breech and schnabel type forend shown.
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Looks more like a rifle barrel, doesn't it?
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Found a page I'd overlooked in Bill's book, so not quite 100 but dates 1912-1919 per all numerical sn:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  5. mk79

mk79 New Member

Thank you very much for your help, I had seen other mentions of that book, but was hoping to find an answer here before needing to purchase a copy of it :) It sounds as if you have found an answer to a question that I've been trying to figure out for months. Guess I should have joined this forum sooner!