Identification of .38 special round???

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Frnc4891, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Frnc4891

Frnc4891 Member

Ok got another one... Anyone know what this is???

Attached Files:

2. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Westren use to be there own co. till sometime i think in the 60's when winchester bought them up. The case was marked W-W. W-W= winchester westren But i think that the westren name has now been droped but not shure. Westren is how winchester got the Supper-X brand.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  3. Frnc4891

Frnc4891 Member

Neat. Any idea what this particular round was for?
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

practice punching paper.
  5. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Looks like a simple Wad Cutter to me. Nothing spl. Find a 38 spl and go have some fun putting holes in paper.
  6. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

If you still have the box with all the rds in it and the box is in darn good shape it might look better on the shelf. JMO
  7. Twicepop

Twicepop Active Member

Its a .38 Special Wad Cutter round, designed for target shooting to punch a neat round hole in paper targets. It also make a very good defensive load, it a punches neat round holes in zombies and gremlins as well.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Bullseye target shooting is scored by the highest numbered ring your bullet hit.

This target was shot with round nose ammo. Look at that one at 12:00. Is it all in the 9 ring, or did it juuuuust cut the 10? Can't tell. Round nose bullets tear the targets.

[​IMG]

Now, this one was shot with wadcutters. See the pretty perfectly round holes? See the one at 3:00. There can be no question that it did NOT cut the 8-ring. Round nose bullet? You would not have been able to be sure.

[​IMG]
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Looks to be a .38 Special Wad Cutter used ni the Model 59.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You mean the 52?
  11. X Ring

X Ring Member

Why not the model 10 or 15 or 64? Among others.
  12. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    To expensive for practice so we shot 45 hardball in practice but then shot those WW 148 gr wadcutters with our S&W M52's in matches to clean the civilians clocks in the centerfire portion of the bullseye matches. When I got to All Army level they still issued us the 52 but only let us shoot hardball 45 in the centerfire match. I still have a few hundred of them but don't shoot them anymore because I no longer have a 52 to shoot them in and they shoot way high in my .357's. Worst yet they don't group nearly as well as my hotter loads.
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

This is true. It's just a 38 wadcutter. Nothing special about it. Would work fine in any 38 special revolver and the Smith auto. Maybe even the Gold Cup.

But a 59 was a 9mm, so I presumed he meant 52, which was a 38.
  14. mikld

mikld Active Member

The S&W Mod. 52 was/is a semi-auto target gun chambered in .38 Special and was designed to feed wadcutters. Note the wadcutter in the pic is seated flush with the case mouth, they did this to enable feeding. Most loads for the 52, I believe, were hollow based wadcutters loaded mild. Of course the rounds pictured will be fine in any gun chambered for .38 Special.
  15. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

As Old Grump says, the standard bullet weight for these 38 Special wadcutters was 148 grains. They were loaded to a lower velocity than the standard 158 grain RNL 38 Special load. My understanding was that the bullet weight and velocity was intended to match the older 38 S&W ballistics, since it was popular for target shooting in its day.

I believe they were called "wadcutters" because the neat paper circles they cut out of targets reminded people of the paper or card wads used in loading shotshells before the advent of plastic shells with plastic wads.

They were once extremely popular for target shooting. Even though their shape is very unsuitable for automatic pistols, both S&W and Colt made them for it. The Army Marksmanship Unit even had a special "rimless" version made, and special Colt pistols for shooting it.

They seem to be much less popular now. I don't see them much on ammo tables at gun shows.

32 S&W Long is also still available with 100 grain wadcutter loads. For that cartridge, the bullet weight and velocity are pretty much the same as the standard RNL load. I don't recall seeing other calibers with wadcutters as factory loads, but handloaders have used them in a wide variety of cartridges.

Just my $.02!
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  16. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

Wadcutters are great for target practice. I use 2.8 gr Bullseye with 148 gr HBWC. Shot 250 of them Wednesday morning and intend to load about a 1000 of them tomorrow morning.