The Firearms Forum banner

Identification of Revolver

629 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Pipes 
#1 ·
I have a revolver, five shot, 38 caliber, which on the barrel says "Iver Johsons Arms & Cycle Works" and underneath that it says "Fitchburg Mass. U.S.A." (There's a photograph attached.) Underneath the trigger guard is the number 20028. (There's a picture attached.) On the inside side left pistol grip is the number "C 20029" -- the 9 could possibly be an 8 but it looks like a 9 to me. On the bottom frame of the pistol grip it has June 10.96 Aug. 25 and then possibly the year which I can't read. Underneath that it has what appears to be Sept.16 C4 PATS PEN (can't read the rest) - picture also attached. The bluing is extremely worn but I haven't tried to clean it up. The cylinder seems tight and other than its appearance, the gun seems solid. I'm just trying to find out any information related to its date, rarity and if it can shoot contemporary 38 rounds and any other information that might be known. Thank you very much for any input.

#5 ·
You have a Iver Johnson 3rd Model Safety Hammer Revolver made in 1910. It is chambered in .38 S&W, not .38 Special. You can find smokeless .38 S&W online and occasional in larger outdoor stores like Cabelas or Bass Pro.

Blued versions were considered a special order and more desirable. The standard finish at the time was nickel. Be careful when you clean it and try not to remove any of the bluing. These do not command a great deal of money anywhere between $100-$200 depending on condition, but there are collectors out there.

Nobody can tell you if its safe to fire on this forum without inspecting it in person. It is considered a smokeless frame and should be fine with smokeless ammo, after you have it checked out.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
You have a Iver Johnson 3rd Model Safety Hammer Revolver made in 1910. It is chambered in .38 S&W, not .38 Special. You can find smokeless .38 S&W online and occasional in larger outdoor stores like Cabelas or Bass Pro.

Blued versions were considered a special order and more desirable. The standard finish at the time was nickel. Be careful when you clean it and try not to remove any of the bluing. These do not command a great deal of money anywhere between $100-$200 depending on condition, but there are collectors out there.

Nobody can tell you if its safe to fire on this forum without inspecting it in person. It is considered a smokeless frame and should be fine with smokeless ammo, after you have it checked out.
Awesome .... appreciate your time and info .....
"knowledge unused is of little value to the wise... "
Thanks for sharing ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.