identify japanese bolt action rifle plz

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by walkerpower, Apr 19, 2009.

1. walkerpower

walkerpower New Member

this was passed down and i would like to know how to clean,what it is and what the worth is...also best place to sell ...i have 10 pictures ..any help appreciated...thanks much

Attached Files:

2. Do you have a wider angle picture that shows the whole rifle, Walker? It's difficult to tell from the close up. If it's a Japanese bolt action battle rifle, it is most likely either a Type 38 or a Type 99 in caliber 7.7mm Jap.
  3. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

That rust will most likely be an easy job for some 0000 steel wool wetted down with gun oil. Gently wipe & it'll leave the blueing alone.

More photos needed. On the back of bolt is the mum still there or ground off? That'll affect price. These guns went from high quality at the begining of the war to pretty poor towards the end of the war. Looks to be a decent specimen. I have a 99 that's like new with the mum. I've been wondering what it's worth nowdays.
  4. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Nagoya arsenal, but the exact type needs to be ID. Some more pics would help. Also, that isn't the usual "Mum" stamp on the receiver. TJ
  5. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i started to say the same thing TJ... if its a WWII battle rifle and it had the ORIGINAL stamp i wouldnt even consider selling it!! if i remember correctly all the captured weapons had the stamp filed off...

i remember seeing a story (i forget where) of a small group of japanese soldiers that never surrendered and stayed on the island they were posted on at the end of the war. they had never been informed japan surrendered and were fullfilling their duty to the Emperor. now if you had one of their rifles......man oh man:cool::rolleyes:
  6. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I have a Type 99 1st series Nagoya in 7.7 with the Mum intact. But, like some many other captured battle field rifles, the bolt, though early "plum" style, is mis-matched. Too bad. TJ