Identify unknown flintlock side by side gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jbounds, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Jbounds

Jbounds New Member

I am trying to find out what I have here. My uncle had this gun in his attic and I can not find any markings on it to identify it other than "London" in gold letters on top of barrels in middle. It has no stamps on it at all other than both barrels are stamped with a 13 on the bottom after taking barrels off. It has some minor burn marks and action seems to be working fine. I think it has a partial load in each barrel but I have no firing caps. I attached some photos in hopping someone could identify it.
  2. Jbounds

Jbounds New Member

photos attached

Attached Files:

3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. You have a percussion double, not a flintlock, and please add a pic of the barrels removed showing the area where 13 is marked.

Many guns made in Birmingham and Belgium were marked "London" for prestige.

Pleae measure interior depth of barrels to be sure they aren't loaded, as they were often left loaded so that only percussion caps were needed when ready to fire.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  4. Jbounds

Jbounds New Member

Thanks fr he help, the inside depth of one was 30 1/2" and the other was 31". I will add two other pictures, per your request.
  5. Jbounds

Jbounds New Member

hrf, I just added the pictures you mentioned.

Attached Files:

6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Thanks; the little crossed halberds marks are Birmingham proofs, so you have an average grade gun made by the Birmingham Trade gunmakers, which may or may not have been retailed in London.
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

What is the outside length, measured from the forward gold stripe?

You might try compressed air through the barrel nipples to see if barrels are clear.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I am rather glad you had no caps, because firing a gun that might be loaded with an unknown powder and unknown projectile is never a good idea.

In fact, I strongly recommend not firing that gun at all. The barrels are almost certainly Damascus, made by wrapping white-hot lengths of iron and steel around a rod (mandrel) and welding them together with a hammer. Strong enough to pass proof when they were made, those barrels could well be dangerous today even with black powder.

13 is probably the gauge; in the muzzle loading days, shotguns could be ordered in gauges not available in our standardized era, where shotgun gauges go from 10 to 12 to 16 to 20 to 28. The gunmaker provided the appropriate size powder and shot measures as well as wads.

The gun was of moderate good quality when made, but not of high value. Double check to make sure there is no load in the barrels, then consider the gun a wall hanger.

Jim
  9. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Excellent posts before this,

In my opinion the gun is not safe to fire today.