The Firearms Forum banner

Identifying caliber Steyr rifle

9K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
I inherited several beautiful Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG bolt action rifles. I have one that I haven’t been able to determine the caliber. All of my Steyr rifle’s calibers are stamped on the left side or on the top of the receiver. The only numbers I can find on this rifle (stamped twice on left side) are 01716.50 I’ve Google searched these numbers but haven’t been able to determine caliber. Another number on the 'right side' is 2020 which I think is the serial #.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gary

#4 ·
Gustav Genschow & Co, TM "Geco", was not a gunmaker, but a wholesaler and exporter. They had most of the guns they sold under their geco trade label made for them by the Zella-Mehlis guntrade, dating your rifle should be easy: Since 1911 the Zella-Mehlis proofhouse regularly stamped the date of proof besides the BUGN proofmarks. When you have the rifle in hand, take it apart. You will find the proofmarks and additional information under the rear end of the barrel. If the proofmarks are complete and legible, you will find sets of numbers: First, the bore (not groove or bullet) diameter of the barrel at time of proof, in case of a 9.3x57 probably a "9,0mm", followed by the case length "57". Next should be the month and year of proof, given for example as "2.28" standing for February 1928. Last there will be a ledger number for that month, running between one to four digits. If you find other numbers or letters, post a photo. some marks there may even point to the real maker.

#6 · (Edited)
Possibly check with gunboards.com, or Nitroexpress.com

There is a wealth of information there and some knowlegeable members.

Looks like an early Mannlicher Schoenauer. I would think the caliber is stamped under the forward scope mount like mine is. I could be wrong>>>no expert here.
On looking closer...the forward scope mount is not removable is it?

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the website. I will check it out. No the scope mount is not removable. I'm thinking the number 01716.50 is the caliber. As I mentioned the only markings on the rifle other than what mite be under the barrel. I may cast the chamber, but I'm 99.9% sure it is a 6.50x54.
Thanks again.

#8 ·
Gustav Genschow & Co, TM "Geco", was not a gunmaker, but a wholesaler and exporter. They had most of the guns they sold under their geco trade label made for them by the Zella-Mehlis guntrade, dating your rifle should be easy: Since 1911 the Zella-Mehlis proofhouse regularly stamped the date of proof besides the BUGN proofmarks. When you have the rifle in hand, take it apart. You will find the proofmarks and additional information under the rear end of the barrel. If the proofmarks are complete and legible, you will find sets of numbers: First, the bore (not groove or bullet) diameter of the barrel at time of proof, in case of a 9.3x57 probably a "9,0mm", followed by the case length "57". Next should be the month and year of proof, given for example as "2.28" standing for February 1928. Last there will be a ledger number for that month, running between one to four digits. If you find other numbers or letters, post a photo. some marks there may even point to the real maker.
Well I finally got around to removing the barrel as you suggested. As I suspected there were no markings under the barrel. They are all in plain sight as I mentioned here at the start of this post, but no one here has commented on.

#9 ·
Have a gunsmith slug the bore and make a chamber cast to determine chambering.

#11 ·
Did it have a big S stamped above the chamber? That's the Short rifle modification designation that signifies an original M95 has been converted to 8X56R from 8X50R. Most all of the original M95 long rifles are 8X50R.

M95s converted and stamped with an 'S' or an 'H' are known as M95/34s and are all chambered in 8X56R. There is a more rare M95 short rifle that is chambered in 8X50R and those are a little more collectable.

One of my favorite beater hog guns is a beat up ol M95/34 in 8X56.

#12 ·
unfortunately the 8x50r m95 i have has been sporterized by some bubba in the past. cut stock and all.. :( I picked it up as it was super cheap.. no one at the shop knew what it was. i mean.. i literally paid just a call in fee for it basically.. long time ago..

the 8x56 hasn't been outta the closet in year..er decade. :) when i find it I'll tell you about mrkings.

I always considered taking a mas36 and making it a beater type hog gun.

good 7.5 cartridge. and gun.. if not pretty. was sure sturdy looking. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.