IDPA Today

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by xxxxxxl, Feb 12, 2005.

1. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

Went to my first true IDPA match today. Saw lots of folks who I saw last week at the IDSA match. I had lots of fun, and can't wait for my holster to be delivered so I can shoot next week.
  2. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Sounds like you are ready to have some fun.

Here is a little story about the combat pistol match I shot last weekend.
    I tell it for two reasons.
    1. For fun.
    2. To illustrate a point.

As you have seen, you will always receive instructions on “how” to shoot a stage. Pay attention to what will be counted as a “procedural” against you. It CAN come back to bite you in the backside. LOL Keep in mind for later, at this particular match, that a procedural will cost you 60 seconds EACH.

The first stage MUST be shot with the strong hand ONLY. Your starting position is with a bag in your weak hand, facing a doorway, with the targets beyond. Upon the timers signal, you draw and start walking forward, engaging the targets MUST me done while moving. Then you move to the next position and drop the bag on the activator, which pops up another set of targets, these targets HAVE to be taken in tactical order. Then on to another couple of doors, where you have to use the door as cover and concealment from each side.

I was the scorekeeper for this match, so it is not like I didn’t know how it had to be shot. I also wrote down the penalties that the RO told me about. So I KNEW what the hard parts of the stage were. Sure enough, when it came my turn to shoot, I had a short circuit between the ears. I walked toward the doorway blasting the targets fine, moved to the next position and dropped the bag on the activator. At the same time, I did a reload. (This is where muscle memory comes into play) When I slapped the mag into the pistol, I forgot to take my weak hand away. Bam Bam, TWO procedurals. Realizing what I had just done, and not wanting to ADD to my score, I pulled my weak hand down. But the short circuit continued.

While mentally kicking myself in the backside for this, I shot the two targets directly behind the two I had just engaged. Remember where I said that the targets here, had to be taken in tactical order? Well, I didn’t. Sure enough, procedural number 3. Totally upset with my dismal performance so far, I decided that the best resolution to this mess, was to just get it over with, as soon as possible. As I continued this stage, I find I had only shot one hostage, dead center, not barely winging him, which is more normal for people that do accidentally shoot them.

The next stage went better, but NOT well. I decided that with my score so far, that I would “hose” the next stage. Which I did, but received 4 misses. This is THE WORST I have shot in a long LONG time. With a total time for the two stages at 70 seconds, I was the fastest shooter there. But it means absolutely nothing when you place 5th from the bottom. Remember when I said a procedural was 60 seconds each? The average time for most people to shoot this course was around 120 seconds. You can do the math. LOL Some friends and I had a good laugh about my short circuit. END of story.

The point I am trying to make here, is that shooting the course correct, is sometimes more important than shooting fast. Listen to the instructions to avoid procedurals. Take the time to get the accuracy down, speed will come with practice.

My next match will be a flashlight/lowlight match. I REALLY like those.

Let us know how your first match goes, and what you think of it.
  3. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

Thanks for the advice. I did notice a few procedural deductions today. I even saw a guy get reprimaded by the Safety Officer.
  4. 3gunner

3gunner New Member

After many hours of study and testing I have concluded that the simple word, "Standby", followed by a "Beeeeep", is the single cause of these short circuits. :D
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

3gunner, I think you're right. :D

I shot IPSC for years then got into IDPA. Alot of fun...but you have to pay attention. :)
  6. pickenup

pickenup New Member

3gunner, I think you are right also.
    I do believe that was the cause of my affliction. :D :D