IDPA

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by IShootBack, Feb 15, 2004.

1. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

Any IDPA shooters out here in TFF land?
    ISB
  2. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Not for real, as there is not a group that shoots IDPA at my club. But I do set up the scenarios presented in Combat Handguns and run those drills on my own.

Not having a judge is a drawback, but the practice is more fun than punching paper, and it feels like I'm working on decent skills.
  3. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

My brother and I joined last year. There are three clubs in the PRMD, but if we go it's generally down near the Patuxent River NAval Air Station. Nice club and we've always had a great time.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I have been known to shoot a match or two. ;)

45Smashemflat, you can set up and do the drills, but until you own and use a timer, you will never see your actual improvement.

IDPA is a great sport, less costly than IPSC. Some of the matches in my area are done with a twist. There is almost always a very difficult shot in each stage. Example: 1st target, 7 yards, Double tap, then shoot a bowling pin at 50 yards before moving to cover for the next target. If you miss, the timer keeps running until you knock down the pin. Stressful fun.
  5. suryevor

suryevor Guest

that's ridiculous.= shooting men@150 yds

Stuff like that has no business in a seriousj combat match.
  6. Shooter45

We never shoot men at 150 yards in combat matches.
  7. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Shooter - I've got a timer. Bought one of the CED's from Dillon a long time ago. You are dead right - if your not shooting against the clock - you can't tell how you are really doing.

I don't have a "stop plate" set up, but will try and make one one day.

I wish we would get some IDPA stuff going down here.
  8. Shooter45

IDPA got off to a slow start here. Most shot IPSC. Three of us drove to an IDPA match one weekend and the rest is history.

Have you tried to generate any interest within your club ? If so and still no interest, do what we did. It worked for us.
  9. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

IMHO...

IDPA is not COMBAT training. It is a sporting event (game) with guns.

While some scenarios may represent "real life situations" most are invented to conform to the rules set forth by IDPA. At the clubs I shoot at, match directors either create the course of fire (COF) or take suggestions from participants. Some of the guys get together to discuss new COF's to see if they would work.

Anyone that is going to IDPA for combat training is taking themselves much too seriously.

It's a lot of fun and great practice.

ISB
    IDPA Safety Officer