IDPA?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by xxxxxxl, Feb 1, 2005.

1. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

I have been researching the IPSC style shooting and the IDPA style shooting matches and rules over the past several days. I have come to the conclusion that I am more suited for and would enjoy the IDPA matches more. I am going to watch a match this Saturday. I have one question, who carries holsters that meet the IDPA criteria in left handed models? I will be shooting either a Springfield XD 4" or a Kimber 1911 style.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

You might check these guys out too.
    Blade-Tech

Just curious, why did you decide on the defensive style of IDPA, over the offensive style of IPSC?
  4. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

Pickenup, I chose IPDA basically because of my size. I am a very large man, and over the years played a lot of competitive sports, and now have bad ankle problems. I love to compete, but have to be very careful. IPSC shooting looked like it had way to much running and jumping around. I am very quick for my size but don't think I would fair well in IPSC.
  5. richbug

richbug New Member

I am 6-4 about 300 and have no trouble with IPSC. Mostly it is just stand and hose.
  6. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

I am going to watch some matches this weekend before I make a final decision. You never know, I might do both.
  7. Dave W.

Dave W. New Member

I second the blade-tech holsters. I have one for IDPA use, it's a nice holster, pretty good looking too I guess.

Dave
  8. 3gunner

3gunner New Member

As for selecting a holster for IDPA, my advise would be to buy something cheap that meets, or at least comes close to, the new IDPA rules. I can't help but to believe there will be some type of modifications to the " no gap where you can see light" rule. I have Blade Techs belt holster and it does not meet the new rules. You can clearly see light through the belt slots with it on the body. Blade Tech is advertising the holster as IDPA legal though. I know several other Blade Tech users are dipping the belt attachment into boiling water and reforming it to illiminate the small gap. Now, please do not take this post as a Blade Tech bashing. I love their holsters and have used them exclusively. Not to mention they are a great company, stand behind their products, and in my case have looked after their customers. I believe you will see some Blade Tech mods or a new holster come out of their factory in the near future that will be 100% legal. Until then, I would wait before dropping any money on the high end kydex holsters.

Some friends and I have gotten together and compared several different manufactures and models of open pouch kydex type belt holsters. Quite frankly we are having a hard time finding one that would be considered 100% legal. We are being very strict in our examinations because you don't want to pre-pay an entry fee and travel out of town to a sanctioned match only to get DQ for illegal equipment. Something that your local MD or SO might let slide may not be allowable with someone else at another event. Of all the open pouch kydex (or plastic) holsters we have looked at, the Fobus Paddle Holster meets all requirements of the new rules. It holds the gun tight to the body therefore clearly meeting the 3/4" gun to body rule. It also meets the "no gap rule" on several shooters we tested all of which were of different body size and types. The Fobus Belt holster does not meet the "no gap rule", only the paddle style. I believe the Fobus Roto Paddle would also be illegal because of it's on the body cant adjustability. So, in summary, the Fobus Paddle Holster seemed to pass our unofficial testing.

The Fobus Paddle can be purchased for around $20.00 to $22.00. If the rules change or other (read: better) holster companys change their design and become completely compliant to IDPA rules, then you will only have about $20.00 invested in a temporary holster which can still be used at the range or around the house. Take what you just read as information only. Do your own test and see what works with you. We have been trying to figure out these new holster requirements since the news first broke, and it's starting to give me a headache. My plan is to go back to my Fobus paddle holster and wait for the seas to calm down a little. The new rules have caused many waves. But, I do believe you will see things settle down a bit and an unofficial "legal holster list" will surface.

Sorry for the long read, I got a little carried away.

**Disclaimer** I do not work for nor am I associated with the Fobus Holster Company, Blade Tech, or the IDPA ( except as member). Only posting information that may assist you in making an educated decision on an affordable/legal holster.
  9. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Some GOOD info there 3gunner. With the new rule changes this year, it might be a good idea to wait until the dust settles to drop a “chunk” of money into a holster that once was legal, but they may rule to be illegal now.

Xxxxxxl,
    Do watch them both before you decide. One of the main differences is that in IDPA, you will run to the cover of choice to shoot. Where in IPSC, you run down the middle (sometimes using cover) and blast away. I think you will find that they both have quite a bit of movement involved.

If you set yourself up with equipment for IDPA, you can use that equipment for IPSC. Where the reverse is not always true. Some IPSC legal equipment (including guns) is NOT legal in IDPA.

The important thing here is to HAVE FUN. Keep us posted.

But if you do too good, they may make NEW rules outlawing the gun you use.
    Right 3gunner? ROFL (Sorry Inside joke)
  10. 3gunner

3gunner New Member

You bet your Sig220ST they will. Just asked Ernest. ;)
  11. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

Thanks for the information. I can't wait until Saturday! I will keep you posted on what I find out about the new rules here in North Texas.
  12. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

From experience, I can tell you that a large man will have lots of fun shooting IDPA.

We have several XXXXL men that shoot with us and a few are top competitors. One of the largest of our group regularly is the Top Gun in the match (Master Class Shooter), and has few equals (locally) in 3-gun matches.

I am only XXL, and participate regularly in IDPA. I have had some stages where I was a bit slow due to my size, however, that practice helped me learn my weaknesses which made me a better shooter.

I tried ISPC and found the runing betwen boxes to be pointless. However, this match was much different that what I see on TV at the big matches, so it may not be a good comparison.

IMHO
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  13. 3gunner

3gunner New Member

I can relate to that. There's a guy I shoot with regularly that has never missed any biscuit callings. He's a big man but I don't see where that has been a disadvantage to him; seeing that he kicks my butt on most occasions. :( ;) ;)