If it looks like a duck.......

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

BGH228
    (11/23/01 3:31:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    If it looks like a duck.......
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and flaps its wings like a duck, common wisdom would dictate that it is, in fact, a duck.

Wrong! Sometimes it's a roboduck.

Roboducks are the latest in decoy technology. These ultra-realistic, battery-operated, mechanical ducks are used by hunters to lure real ducks into shooting range.

The faux fowl have ruffled a lot of feathers in the hunting community, pitting sportsman against sportsman in a debate over the ethics of hunting and technology's role in and its affect on the great outdoors.

Where do you stand on this topic?

IMO they are a good idea and if ya chose to use one ok...but they just aint for me.

Hunters Hideout - AIM - Email/MSN IM - QZMP

Vietnam Memories - The Firearms Forum

warpig883
    (11/23/01 9:55:52 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: If it looks like a duck.......
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have not had the cash to buy one and would like to see one in action. I have had plenty of people tell me they are amazing and will probably be outlawed because they work so good. If they work as great as I have been told it sounds like they take all the fun out of getting waterfowl to come into the decoys.

Reedbuster where are you on this one?
    One after one, by the star-dogged moon, Too quick for groan or sigh, Each turned his face with a ghastly pang, And cursed me with his eye. Four times fifty living men, (And I heard nor sigh nor groan) With heavy thump, a lifeless lump, They dropped down one by one.

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/23/01 11:08:17 am)
    As with any other decoy, it is simply a tool. You still have to call them in. I think that they are a good idea to lure the ducks in closer for a clean shot and kill. The new shot payloads for migrating birds, no matter what they say or attempt to prove are not as effective as lead shot. I believe that more cripples are hit every year, than clean kills. How many use steel or other type shot for doves?, their migratory too..........This PC crap has just gone to far!
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

AGunguy
    (11/23/01 11:22:51 am)
    How about a termenator duck decoy. He lures them in and explodes a shower of steel shot, thus, termenates the flock and you've got your bag limit and then some.

Brought to you by the folks that make Claymores.

Gunguy

Cuzin Goober
    (11/24/01 1:31:01 am)
    Reedbuster got hammered on Thanksgiving, mumbled something about Stutgart, Ark. He and his dog are both gone. Anyway we had a long discussion about the use of this and we both think it is like baiting. A Stanford University study revieled that it increased the decoyabilty of a duck by 80%. That is not hunting, that is killing. It is a direct assault on the art of rigging and calling to lure prey into shotgun range.

BGH228
    (11/24/01 2:49:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: If it looks like a duck.......
    I seen soemthing to the effect of the termenator duck decoy in action. 3 years ago ago while we were deer hunting we keep hearing this LOUND BOOM just off our property (which at the time we thought was on our prop.) so we went to investigate,,,, it turns out there were 3 guys hutning some flooded fields next to ua and had a potato gun like thing...loaded with what appeared to be broken glass and small thumb tacs (didnt stick around long after seeing the first shot being fired) and when they called in a small group they let um have it one shot multiple kills....just sicking to your stomach. Needless to say my gramps reported the guys but nothing ever came of it it was there word against his seeing as the gamewarden never came out to catch um only paid a house visit the next day.

Hunters Hideout - AIM - Email/MSN IM

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and flaps its wings like a duck, common wisdom would dictate that it is, in fact, a duck.

Wrong! Sometimes it's a roboduck.

Roboducks are the latest in decoy technology. These ultra-realistic, battery-operated, mechanical ducks are used by hunters to lure real ducks into shooting range.

The faux fowl have ruffled a lot of feathers in the hunting community, pitting sportsman against sportsman in a debate over the ethics of hunting and technology's role in and its affect on the great outdoors.

Where do you stand on this topic?

IMO they are a good idea and if ya chose to use one ok...but they just aint for me.

Hunters Hideout - AIM - Email/MSN IM - QZMP

Vietnam Memories - The Firearms Forum

warpig883
    (11/23/01 9:55:52 am)
    I have not had the cash to buy one and would like to see one in action. I have had plenty of people tell me they are amazing and will probably be outlawed because they work so good. If they work as great as I have been told it sounds like they take all the fun out of getting waterfowl to come into the decoys.

Reedbuster where are you on this one?
    One after one, by the star-dogged moon, Too quick for groan or sigh, Each turned his face with a ghastly pang, And cursed me with his eye. Four times fifty living men, (And I heard nor sigh nor groan) With heavy thump, a lifeless lump, They dropped down one by one.

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/23/01 11:08:17 am)
    As with any other decoy, it is simply a tool. You still have to call them in. I think that they are a good idea to lure the ducks in closer for a clean shot and kill. The new shot payloads for migrating birds, no matter what they say or attempt to prove are not as effective as lead shot. I believe that more cripples are hit every year, than clean kills. How many use steel or other type shot for doves?, their migratory too..........This PC crap has just gone to far!
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

AGunguy
    (11/23/01 11:22:51 am)
    How about a termenator duck decoy. He lures them in and explodes a shower of steel shot, thus, termenates the flock and you've got your bag limit and then some.

Brought to you by the folks that make Claymores.

Gunguy

Cuzin Goober
    (11/24/01 1:31:01 am)
    Reedbuster got hammered on Thanksgiving, mumbled something about Stutgart, Ark. He and his dog are both gone. Anyway we had a long discussion about the use of this and we both think it is like baiting. A Stanford University study revieled that it increased the decoyabilty of a duck by 80%. That is not hunting, that is killing. It is a direct assault on the art of rigging and calling to lure prey into shotgun range.

BGH228
    (11/24/01 2:49:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: If it looks like a duck.......
    I seen soemthing to the effect of the termenator duck decoy in action. 3 years ago ago while we were deer hunting we keep hearing this LOUND BOOM just off our property (which at the time we thought was on our prop.) so we went to investigate,,,, it turns out there were 3 guys hutning some flooded fields next to ua and had a potato gun like thing...loaded with what appeared to be broken glass and small thumb tacs (didnt stick around long after seeing the first shot being fired) and when they called in a small group they let um have it one shot multiple kills....just sicking to your stomach. Needless to say my gramps reported the guys but nothing ever came of it it was there word against his seeing as the gamewarden never came out to catch um only paid a house visit the next day.

Hunters Hideout - AIM - Email/MSN IM