If no seperation of church & state....

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by 45Auto, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dont kid yourself. Watch what the other hand is doing.....
  2. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I think it's usually in Eric Holder's pants...Oops...Can I say that?

obama_flatmate.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  3. markfh

markfh New Member

Precisely! Good reason to have someone in office that would appoint conservatives to the Supreme Court that won't find things in the Constitution and Bill of Rights that aren't.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Showing particular favor on one religious group over another is establishment.

I am quite happy not to use the government's PA systems to announce a prayer since it keeps the government out of my church.

It's a two-way street. I for one am fine with that street being barricaded. [​IMG]
  5. Sergeant Major

Sergeant Major New Member

We have to be carful with seperation of church and state. It must remain seperate, but it has to come from both sides. I'm a believer, but I strongly feel that the church must stay out of politics..... You can't gry foul and say seperation of church and state, then as a church get right in the middle of it everytime somethings comes up. The preacher should not spend all sunday service telling his flock who to vote for. That maybe should stay seperate time and be spent in worship to our lord...
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I believe if we MUST err, it should be on the side of separation.
    If the twits in DC can't tell the difference between Baptist vs Episcopal and Christian vs Islam, it IS better if they avoid the topic completely.

You're right, CJ about it being a two-way street.
    We wanted to assure that other countries had fair elections, and did that through the power of the UN.
    Now we have UN observers nosing into OUR elections!
  7. markfh

markfh New Member

You're wrong. "Establishment" as referred to by the founders was a direct response to the Church of England which was an "established" religion dictated by the state.

The founders did NOT want religion to be excluded from government.

Not allowing political speech in churches violates the 1st amendment.
  8. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I don't see any reason for churches to avoid the topic of politics. They are under the rule of the same government as the people and their members, including the preachers vote also.

I also see every reason for the government to stay out of religion. Banning the pledge of allegiance in schools though is going too far. If some atheist parent objects to the pledge of allegiance stating 'one nation under God' fine - they can tell their kid not to say it but the kid should stand with the rest of the class out of respect for the country anyway.
  9. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

The break-point is that a church with 501(c)3 status cannot officially endorse a candidate, nor can they speak against a specific candidate, or they are violating the tax-exempt agreement with the government. They cannot put something like this on their church sign, print it in their bulletin, nor can the pastor say such from the pulpit.

To say they must avoid politics altogether is ludicrous; politics and religion are so entertwined that the two cannot be separated.
    Abortion.
    Gays.
    Wars.
    Food stamps.
    Welfare.
    corporal punishment of children.
    Self defense.
    Possession of weapons.
    And a hundred more.
    Political issues all, and each one is deeply involved in Religion as well.
  10. edprocoat

edprocoat New Member

Actually Gunny it not even close to the same thing. What it truly means is that religion and the practise of it and those who practise are free from government intervention, that was true until Obama came along and decided that all christians should pay for " health services " that they find morally objectionable thereby ignoring the constitution once again.

ed
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Welcome Ed !
  12. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ed, welcome to the forum. Lots of good discussion here, among good friends who care for each other, who know guns and are happy to help people out. This place is addicting. Enjoy.
  13. CampingJosh

Which is worse, to declare the Church of England to be the state religion but do nothing about it (as the UK today), or to not have an "established" state religion but to show favoritism to one religious group over others?

What is an "established" state religion but a religious group that is favored over others? Whether declared or not, favoring any religious group over others is establishing a religion.

Your first point there is debatable, though I agree with you on it.

The second is absolutely correct. What freedom of speech is there if not free political speech by absolutely everyone?
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  14. whirley

whirley Member

If you read early American history, you'll find that the "established church" was supported by the government. Also no other religious group was allowed to own land or buildings. That was bypassed by electing members of the congregation as the property owners. When they became too old, they resigned and younger members were elected in their place. Church groups were not allowed to incorporate until Congress passed enabling laws about 1810. Our Constitution doesn't allow the "state" to give financial support to any religious group, but it also forbids government from interfering with any group in the practice of their religion. That's where it gets sticky, because some people insist that allowing religious grooups to use publicly owned facilities, even for such things as a ball game is a violation of the religious clause. That goes way back where none of the religious groups liked each other very much. For example, in many churches you will occasionally hear the ministers rant about the early Roman Church in the 14th century chaining bibles to the pillars so people couldn't take them. Actually true. A bible at that time represented the life work of perhaps 20 monks, were rare and valuable and few people could read anyway. The first book printed by Gutenberg was a bible.
  15. CampingJosh

Many state governments did have official religions for decades.

Of course, the 14th Amendment changed the whole nature of the Constitution, making it a limit on state governments that were previously limited only by their own constitutions and their people. The stuff previously disallowed to Congress now applies to all government in this country.